It’s officially camp season... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

It’s officially camp season...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Is it me or is that the most positive thing Edsall has ever said about a fall camp practice?

Don't want to put a hex on it but since RE brought it up, health is a huge factor this year too. Building depth and preserving youngins'is hugely dependent on it.

Reaction Score
>>For now at least, Beaudry looks like the front-runner for the starting quarterback job, leaving redshirt freshman Steven Krajewski to practice with the second-team. Edsall praised Krajewski’s work ethic Thursday and said increased reps have helped the young quarterback but said there was noticeable room to improve.

“He’s got to cut down on the mistakes he was making early," Edsall said. "Steven’s biggest problem is he tries to be perfect. And you can’t be perfect being a quarterback. He’s just got to be able to get rid of the ball a little bit quicker and make some quicker decisions. And you can see he’s getting better at that.”

Freshman Jack Zergiotis took third-team reps again Thursday, signalling that North Carolina State transfer Micah Leon might be the odd-man out of the quarterback competition. UConn coaches have not indicated when they hope to decide on, or announce, a starter.<<

Explanation on ML lack of reps here:

Reaction Score

From what I have heard out of camp that balls 20 yards or deeper and out routes to the sidelines are his expertise. Also heard Edsall may be holding back on him due to age and he beats him self up over little mistakes l. I feel we will be seeing a lot of him and beaudry the first half of the season then randy will decide who to stick with for rest of season and next year baring no body transfers

Reaction Score
From what I have heard out of camp that balls 20 yards or deeper and out routes to the sidelines are his expertise. Also heard Edsall may be holding back on him due to age and he beats him self up over little mistakes l. I feel we will be seeing a lot of him and beaudry the first half of the season then randy will decide who to stick with for rest of season and next year baring no body transfers

I don't know about the first half of the season, but I can see the Wagner game being used as a one game competition for both QB's to see who starts vs Illinois. You never really know what you have at QB until you are in a real game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Putterman: Freshman Eric Watts settling into pass-rush role, plus other UConn football notes

>>Watts is only a freshman, without a whiff of college experience, but he finds himself competing for playing time — and maybe even a starting spot — on a UConn defense that desperately needs his skill set. Since arriving at UConn in January, the 6-foot-5 Sumter, S.C., native has taken on-and-off reps with the first-team unit, including at the defensive end-outside linebacker hybrid position defensive coordinator Lou Spanos has introduced.<<

Also discussion on QB1 (same as video in post #109 above) and OL Christian Haynes’ development.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It always makes me uncomfortable when a true freshman with a high school physique is talked about possibly getting playing time.

Unless we've unearthed an overlooked 5 start talent. It says little about him and a lot more about the gaping holes in the roster.

e.g., don't expect much in the way of a pass rush this season.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It always makes me uncomfortable when a true freshman with a high school physique is talked about possibly getting playing time.

Unless we've unearthed an overlooked 5 start talent. It says little about him and a lot more about the gaping holes in the roster.

e.g., don't expect much in the way of a pass rush this season.
I share your concerns... or a possible, albeit less likely scenario - Edsall wants the freshman class to take notice of a fellow freshman as motivation. Plus Edsall might be trying to motivate some of the fellow DL incumbents.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Bruised ego?

Seriously, I have a good feeling about Ardell. I think he can give us the north south attack that we've been missing. Hope everything is okay.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom