It’s official! Welcome back Jamelle!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

It’s official! Welcome back Jamelle!!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Jamelle is a tremendous addition to the coaching staff. We got a taste of what she can do to improve kids last season. She knows the system and she knows how to get the job done. Im so happy. UConn will take a step forward with her coaching and attract more bigs. Jamelle makes the coaching staff much much better.

Reaction Score
Why does Geno's replacement have to be someone from the family? How often does that work out?

Yeah, just look at what happened at Tennessee when Pat Summitt had to step down. And I'm not sure the present coach is the answer either.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The key question is what she wants to achieve and what is in her best interests. Love having her at UConn but would prefer not seeing someone come in for a year or two then leave. While I read all the posts about helping ONO, my preference is to have an Assistant who excels at recruiting as her #1 skill set. I have always thoughts that as with all other parts of the Geno process, that he counts on his assistants to drive recruiting - not something only Geno does. Others more knowledgeable than me can comment on how Jamelle meets this need.
If you are the parents of a hard working kids who aspires to play high level college basketball having Jamelle contact you should be considered a major blessing.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Stamford, I don't think that Shea would want the job. There are too many politics involved and her mind and heart are on the court. A few years ago people would have given you a weird look if you said Carla but she has proven herself to be more than capable and she is a member of the family. I believe in my heart that Geno is going to be the coach for at least the next five years so by that time things might become a little clearer.
That is a GREAT point that I think people sometimes forget. Geno was quoted talking about getting back to work and how much he has missed coaching (and by extension everything that goes along with it - recruiting, teaching, developing, etc,). I think he's going to be around for a while - at least 5 years, hopefully closer to 10.

So all the speculation that follows every time someone starts a "Who will be the next UCONN head coach" is irrelevant, except for people offering up opinions I guess. The coaching landscape will be much different many years from now when Geno decides to retire. It won't stop the prognosticators from discussing, but I am willing to bet, with near 100% certainty, that 5-10 years from now, names will be at the forefront of people who aren't even on the radar now.

Reaction Score
Great news for the program! There is no doubt that Coach Elliott did a tremendous job with the bigs, but the ENTIRE team also showed a toughness and grittiness last year when she took over. That chip on the shoulder attitude is what I think UConn has been kind of missing the past few years, I am ecstatic that Coach Elliott will be back on the bench for the Huskies!

Reaction Score
I have to add to the dozens of positive statements of posters above!
The signing of Jamelle Elliot as an Asst. Coach is as important to the program as signing Azzi Fudd would be!
Jamelle is at best 5'10" or 5'11" and played PF as well as ANY PF peer at that time!
The only reason Jamelle never got 1st team All-American was there was too much talent on her teams, with Reb Lobo, Jen Rizzotti, Kara Wolters, Keshia Sales, and others!
What makes her so important to this program is her fire and personality and work ethic that rubs off on everyone, including the rest of the coaching staff!
I had tears in my eyes while reading the news because I didn't want the Cincinnati HC job be her last notch on her coaching resume!
Everyone will see a dramatic change in the players (not just the Bigs) with Jamelle there from the start of practice!

Reaction Score
This is a really good thing. I don't know if you can coach toughness, but if you can, she's the one to do it. She is just a wonderful fit on that Auriemma bench. She can teach players how to put the Power in Power Forward.

Reaction Score
This is a really good thing. I don't know if you can coach toughness, but if you can, she's the one to do it. She is just a wonderful fit on that Auriemma bench. She can teach players how to put the Power in Power Forward.
Good point. In my experience, it's doubtful that you can teach or coach toughness. But if it's in there, a good coach can pull it out.

Reaction Score
I have been amused that after numerous FInal 4's and Championships that some forget how tough Geno, CD and UConn teams have been. While I respect Jenelle's skill set, any toughness she brings to UConn will not be a new experience. Tough players are a result of the recruiting effort - the ability to find and sign the best and more resilient players. If you have to rely on a few in huddle pep talks, it probably too late.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I have been amused that after numerous FInal 4's and Championships that some forget how tough Geno, CD and UConn teams have been. While I respect Jenelle's skill set, any toughness she brings to UConn will not be a new experience. Tough players are a result of the recruiting effort - the ability to find and sign the best and more resilient players. If you have to rely on a few in huddle pep talks, it probably too late.
No.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I have to add to the dozens of positive statements of posters above!
The signing of Jamelle Elliot as an Asst. Coach is as important to the program as signing Azzi Fudd would be!
Jamelle is at best 5'10" or 5'11" and played PF as well as ANY PF peer at that time!
The only reason Jamelle never got 1st team All-American was there was too much talent on her teams, with Reb Lobo, Jen Rizzotti, Kara Wolters, Keshia Sales, and others!
What makes her so important to this program is her fire and personality and work ethic that rubs off on everyone, including the rest of the coaching staff!
I had tears in my eyes while reading the news because I didn't want the Cincinnati HC job be her last notch on her coaching resume!
Everyone will see a dramatic change in the players (not just the Bigs) with Jamelle there from the start of practice!

100% agree. I think it's a good bet to expect to see players under her charge acquire and display some of the grit and determination she possessed when she played. She was “beast mode” way before Marshawn Lynch burst upon the scene. “As a player I was undersized,” Elliott told UConn Today in June 2019. “I won’t say my height, but I’m less than 6 foot. I made up for it with strength, and the determination to stay one step ahead. I knew I had to earn my time on the floor. My competitive spirit gave me a niche in the program.” :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
100% agree. I think it's a good bet to expect to see players under her charge acquire and display some of the grit and determination she possessed when she played. “As a player I was undersized,” Elliott told UConn Today in June 2019. “I won’t say my height, but I’m less than 6 foot. I made up for it with strength, and the determination to stay one step ahead. I knew I had to earn my time on the floor. My competitive spirit gave me a niche in the program.”
I just don't know of a better role model for the whole team but especially Mir and Aubrey who are right in the Jamelle mold.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I just don't know of a better role model for the whole team but especially Mir and Aubrey who are right in the Jamelle mold.

You think these two will try to impress coach Jemelle with their play? Especially after they watch videos of her (in her prime) back in the day, and see how it’s done, and she challenges them. :cool:

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Everyone is mentioning her toughness and ability to overcome height limitations etc. but I think Jamelle also brings a very welcome compassionate side (as needed) to offset some of the stings Geno delivers.
I wanted to share this video that was on the BY a while ago - showing Shea teaching defense. I love it not because it necessarily shows compassion, but as intense as she is, she takes time out for each player, stopping the drill when they need some real 1 on 1, and when they do it right, it's all "good good good!!!!" I think she is an excellent teacher and it's just one example of a small part of defense that UCONN teaches and works on.

People often get "down" (not you, just an observation) on Geno for being "critical" of players. But Shea is an extension of Geno, and he's a TREMENDOUS teacher. He gets ON players when they are lazy, or short change their gifts, as his goal is to make them the best player they can be, even better than they thought they could be.

Megan "great box out!"... Kyla "OOOooooh Kyla - you gotta box out". Gabby "Do it again and watch how she moves her feet - take little steps so when he makes his move, she's ready". Etc. etc... They were playing against the guy practice players - what a terrific way to get them prepared against quick and athletic players...

Reaction Score
I wanted to share this video that was on the BY a while ago - showing Shea teaching defense. I love it not because it necessarily shows compassion, but as intense as she is, she takes time out for each player, stopping the drill when they need some real 1 on 1, and when they do it right, it's all "good good good!!!!" I think she is an excellent teacher and it's just one example of a small part of defense that UCONN teaches and works on.

People often get "down" (not you, just an observation) on Geno for being "critical" of players. But Shea is an extension of Geno, and he's a TREMENDOUS teacher. He gets ON players when they are lazy, or short change their gifts, as his goal is to make them the best player they can be, even better than they thought they could be.

Megan "great box out!"... Kyla "OOOooooh Kyla - you gotta box out". Gabby "Do it again and watch how she moves her feet - take little steps so when he makes his move, she's ready". Etc. etc... They were playing against the guy practice players - what a terrific way to get them prepared against quick and athletic players...

Funny how you mentioned get “down” on people. When my daughter was in college, a parent said I don’t think a coach should yell at the girls. I said my daughters been yelled at since she was 12. At some point you have to hear what’s being said not how it’s said.

Reaction Score
I don't think that Jamelle (It's Jamelle, not Jenelle, by the way), does her work in sideline pep talks. The toughness she imparts happens in practice. All you have to do is look at ONO who, it seems to me, came to UConn as a resilient but not especially tough player. Since Jamelle's arrival, IMHO, she's become not only resilient, but tougher as well.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I don't know if this has been posted before but for those who may be interested, the coach whose place Jamelle took was sitting on Princeton's bench this past season. I watched a replay of a Princeton vs. Pennsylvania game yesterday and saw her. I cannot think of her name.

Reaction Score
I don't know if this has been posted before but for those who may be interested, the coach whose place Jamelle took was sitting on Princeton's bench this past season. I watched a replay of a Princeton vs. Pennsylvania game yesterday and saw her. I cannot think of her name.
It's her twin sister, she is an assistant coach on Banghart's staff.

Reaction Score
Jasmine Lister has a twin sister Cinnamon, who was an assistant coach at Princeton for the 2018-19 season. Gotta believe that’s who you saw, except Cinnamon was an assistant at UC Irvine last year (and still is)...??

@hoopsfan22, Banghart moved on to North Carolina. Carla Berube began as HC at Princeton last year.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Jasmine Lister has a twin sister Cinnamon, who was an assistant coach at Princeton for the 2018-19 season. Gotta believe that’s who you saw, except Cinnamon was an assistant at UC Irvine last year (and still is)...??

@hoopsfan22, Banghart moved on to North Carolina. Carla Berube began as HC at Princeton last year.
I re-watched the game and saw that Alarie was a Junior, so it was the 2018-19 season. Thank you.

Reaction Score

That's such a great video! Ya know how we have a "Like" button to click on..........well for some we need a "Love It" button! :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
It's her twin sister, she is an assistant coach on Banghart's staff.

Cinnamon Lister begins her second year as an assistant coach with the UC Irvine women’s basketball program in 2020-21.

Last season, Lister helped the Anteaters take second in the Big West, marking their best conference finish since 1997-98. She worked closely with the guards in a year where the ‘Eaters established single-season school records in 3-pointers made (224) and attempted (701). They also saw a jump in their efficiency, shooting 32% from beyond the arc. In addition, UCI averaged a league-leading 65.6 points in Big West play. Lister was recognized for her impact on the program as she was named to the WBCA Thirty Under 30.

1595952620621.png

Lister came to UC Irvine after spending the 2018-19 season as an assistant at Princeton where she helped lead the Tigers to the Ivy League regular season and tournament championships. Prior to entering the collegiate coaching ranks, Lister played overseas for three different professional teams in Morocco and Cyprus. She has also been an administrative director and skills instructor at Nike/US Sports Camps since 2010, and spent over eight years working as a coach at The Works Sports Academy.

Lister is a Southern California native and played two years at CSUN after transferring from Boise State. She was part of the 2014 and 2015 Matador teams that won back-to-back Big West Tournaments. A two-time all-conference selection, Lister graduated with a bachelor's degree in communication studies (2015).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom