Isaiah Whaley is visiting on Wednesday | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Whaley is visiting on Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do we have any idea how good this kid is? Haven't seen much on him. Obviously we need bodies, but part of me wonders if it makes more sense to go hard after Wilson, Waters, a transfer (preferably Daniels) and leave a scholarship open for 2018.

If we get Wilson and Waters, we will be playing a ton of 3 guard lineups with traditional 3's playing the 4 (Larrier and Wilson), so that would really only leave maybe 50-60 minutes total for the other "bigs". Between Carlton, Cobb, Diarra, and Polley (4 only), I'd think we'd be able to do that. If we could somehow get in on a big grad transfer then we definitely wouldn't need this guy.

That being said, if someone tells me this guy is legit and definitely worth a scholarship for 4 years, I'm all for it. Just doesn't seem to be a ton of info on him.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Please tell me his car didn't break down.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So, any word on how it went yesterday? No commitment that I've seen unless I missed it.

pj

Reaction Score
Wilson and Whaley would take away a lot of risk, and pull the rug out from under most of the negative posters. The trend followers would have to acknowledge: the trend is up!

Reaction Score
Wilson and Whaley would take away a lot of risk, and pull the rug out from under most of the negative posters. The trend followers would have to acknowledge: the trend is up!

Nice try pj love the optimism. But some, never! ;)...Bamba or nothing

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Not exactly bonkers. Wilson looks like a nice player at the wing. Whaley is more of a guy we need for depth. Waters and one of the grad transfer bigs is what I really want to see.
Wilson would be a significant commitment too, but I would really like to see a big man who can contribute from day 1. Tremont would be a great addition.

Reaction Score

Signing one nice recruit and one insurance policy is enough to make up for a losing season, 3 transfers, and a de-committment from our only (expected) impact freshman?

While I agree the trend is up (there is nowhere else to go), and we have lots of reasons for optimism, I'm going to have to see a lot more in recruiting, player development and retention, and most importantly ON COURT PERFORMANCE before my tune changes.

Reaction Score
Signing one nice recruit and one insurance policy is enough to make up for a losing season, 3 transfers, and a de-committment from our only (expected) impact freshman?

While I agree the trend is up (there is nowhere else to go), and we have lots of reasons for optimism, I'm going to have to see a lot more in recruiting, player development and retention, and most importantly ON COURT PERFORMANCE before my tune changes.

Good God. Would these posts please stop? Where someone makes a point about any one thing and the answer is "but we still suck."

No amount of recruiting is going to make up for last season sucking. Nothing but winning can ever make up for losing, and even when you win you don't get losses back. But could we please stop responding to posts about solving the emergency we find ourselves in because of four surprise, late defections by pointing out we were bad last year. No one is claiming that last year will be any better because we solve the current crisis -- just that we would prefer solving it to continuing it.

Why does God allow so many miserable people to walk the planet?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not exactly bonkers. Wilson looks like a nice player at the wing. Whaley is more of a guy we need for depth. Waters and one of the grad transfer bigs is what I really want to see.
Gotta start somewhere Hawk ,these guys hopefully get the ball rolling. I want both.

Reaction Score
Good God. Would these posts please stop? Where someone makes a point about any one thing and the answer is "but we still suck."

No amount of recruiting is going to make up for last season sucking. Nothing but winning can ever make up for losing, and even when you win you don't get losses back. But could we please stop responding to posts about solving the emergency we find ourselves in because of four surprise, late defections by pointing out we were bad last year. No one is claiming that last year will be any better because we solve the current crisis -- just that we would prefer solving it to continuing it.

Why does God allow so many miserable people to walk the planet?

Being realistic and rational is miserable? I just got a puppy man. I'm happier than I've ever been and I could care less what you think.

Signing Whaley and/or Wilson is solving the current crisis? That's what the poster that I replied to was saying. I want to sign both. I will be happy when we sign both. But he was claiming that if we do then everyone who has been negative the past year is basically wrong. Which is dumb. And thats what I said.

And to all of your other points, I literally never said, or even alluded to, a single thing that you posted. Your reading comprehension skills are quite weak for a lawyer. That's two posts in a row you called me out on and completely missed the mark on both.

And for the record, I actually agree with everything you just wrote. But you inferring that I wrote or meant any of those things is way off.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Being realistic and rational is miserable? I just got a puppy man. I'm happier than I've ever been and I could care less what you think.

Signing Whaley and/or Wilson is solving the current crisis? That's what the poster that I replied to was saying. I want to sign both. I will be happy when we sign both. But he was claiming that if we do then everyone who has been negative the past year is basically wrong. Which is dumb. And thats what I said.

And to all of your other points, I literally never said, or even alluded to, a single thing that you posted. Your reading comprehension skills are quite weak for a lawyer. That's two posts in a row you called me out on and completely missed the mark on both.

And for the record, I actually agree with everything you just wrote. But you inferring that I wrote or meant any of those things is way off.

You said, and I quote "Signing one nice recruit and one insurance policy is enough to make up for a losing season, 3 transfers ...?" Accurate?

I said, without naming you by the way, that posts that throw in "losing season" with someone talking about whether or not we've done a good job replacing the four lost players are just pissing in the air for no good reason. I stand by both my belief and that your use of the words "losing season" meant that you were not just discussing whether we had or had not replaced, or replaced as well as you can expect, the departing players but felt the need to throw in unrelated crap as well.

pj

Reaction Score
Getting Wilson and Whaley would give us 11 players, up from 9 which is insufficient for a 5-on-5 scrimmage. It would give us 4 guards (Gilbert, Adams, Vital, Anderson), 2 versatile small forwards (Wilson & Larrier), 1 combo forward (Polley), and 4 big men (Diarra, Cobb, Carlton, Whaley). That's a balanced roster with adequate depth at every position.

In other words, it would take us from an emergency situation where we can't scrimmage in practice and are at risk of radical changes to our style of play with one injury (e.g. losing Larrier would take away our only wing with size/stretch 4, or losing Diarra might take away our best rebounder) to a situation where we can roll with some adversity and keep the ship upright.

We'd also have made a good start toward our 2018-19 roster, with Wilson replacing Larrier and Whaley adding depth inside.

That's all I'm saying. As businesslawyer says, we can't undo 2016-17's losing record or replace all four transfers, at least not in one weekend. But we can substantially improve our position. As I said, the trend would be UP!

Reaction Score
You said, and I quote "Signing one nice recruit and one insurance policy is enough to make up for a losing season, 3 transfers ...?" Accurate?

I said, without naming you by the way, that posts that throw in "losing season" with someone talking about whether or not we've done a good job replacing the four lost players are just pissing in the air for no good reason. I stand by both my belief and that your use of the words "losing season" meant that you were not just discussing whether we had or had not replaced, or replaced as well as you can expect, the departing players but felt the need to throw in unrelated crap as well.

So many points to address.

1.) Yes accurate. You know this since its a direct quote. Of course its accurate and I've never denied it, so I'm not sure why you're asking.

2.) Without naming me? How often does anyone name a poster directly? That is why the quoting option exists. You quoted me, and were quite clearly referencing me. Do you want to know how I know? Because YOU SAID SO YOURSELF.

And I quote, "Good God.Would these posts please stop? Where someone makes a point about any one thing and the answer is "but we still suck".

3.) So now you have said you didn't name me directly, but then later in your reply you acknowledge that you were referencing my exact words when you say "that your use of the words "losing season". Man oh man. How are you a lawyer?

4.) I threw in the losing season because the negative posters that the OP was calling out use that losing season quite a bit for their complaining. So I was not "just throwing it in there" as you claim. It was directly relevant to his initial point that I was trying to disprove.

So 3 times now you are calling me out directly and you are now 0-3. You never got a chance to reply to the KO/ Rick Pitino argument because Fishy closed the thread but I provided 5 years and over 150 games of statistics to thoroughly disprove your absurd point that KO and Rick Pitino are equal in their defensive coaching abilities.

If all of this seems over the top, you asked for it. You attacked me first in a much harsher way than I did to the OP. You call me out all the time and put words in my mouth. If you cant back it up, cut the crap.

I'm willing to have a rational debate with you (ask Mau who I have disagreed with amicably before) but you calling me out repeatedly on your straw man high horse is something I cant let slide.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think we'll land Wilson - five teams recruiting him, four teams will come up empty, so that's just recognizing the odds.

I'll be happy with one of Wilson or Waters and then just another warm body or two so that we can actually scrimmage. I get the sense that the UMass twins are heading elsewhere and no one else is visiting, so if it's Waters/Wilson and Whaley, fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom