Isaiah Whaley is visiting on Wednesday | The Boneyard

Isaiah Whaley is visiting on Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looks similar to a lot of bigs we seem to get. 6'9" 200 pound tweener, not a great rebounder. He's ultimately a stretch four who needs to put on weight. Has a decent offensive game and can shoot the ball. Seems fairly similar to Facey as far as his strengths. Three star recruit ranked around 135 would be a pretty nice get this late in the game. Reel him in!

Reaction Score
Looks similar to a lot of bigs we seem to get. 6'9" 200 pound tweener, not a great rebounder. He's ultimately a stretch four who needs to put on weight. Has a decent offensive game and can shoot the ball. Seems fairly similar to Facey as far as his strengths. Three star recruit ranked around 135 would be a pretty nice get this late in the game. Reel him in!
we don't need another practice player.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
we don't need another practice player.

You sure?

upload_2017-5-4_23-11-14.jpeg

Reaction Score
This is 2 1/2 years ago:

He played at Albertus Magnus in December and also Mt Zion came up to play Putnam Science so I am sure the staff saw him at some point, saw enough. I mean he was raw in 2014 but a kid, not sure of the improvement but it was enough to have NC State, Memphis and Providence offer.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
I'd rather not take this guy. He doesn't fill the team needs other than more healthy bodies. Can't really rebound. We've been here before. Keep the scholly open.

Reaction Score

I hear you on being skeptical, but nothing they say about him is any different than Brimah and Facey when they came in. My point is we need pieces not just studs, no matter what. Again these notes are 2 years ago, Mt Zions notes aren't updated we have nothing from there. Not saying he's the one but we can't write off 6'10 guys at this point. If he's a smart player and will learn to box out as taught then he will rebound. Lots of kids decide they can jump to the ball and believe they don't need to box out, hopefully he would understand that needs to change if he were elect to come here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Yeah, he's a project with some athletic upside. That doesn't mean you don't take him. Certainly if no higher rated 2017 Big or Grad Transfer signs, we absolutely need him, just for practice and depth.

I'd say this. If we got Waters, and the kid from Utah and one of the two grad transfer bigs, then maybe we pass here and aim higher in 2018. But the staff likely has a better feel for where we are with those players than you or I. It is pretty close to essential that we get at least one player who can suit up in 2017 and play down low.

Reaction Score
Video is not bad, esp since it's from two years ago. Have to think he improved greatly over that time. What stood out to me was the anticipation on one or two passes, the dribble-drive on another. Skilled. Shot was from a really low spot on the outside J, but if he's a 4-5, probably not a big deal.

Not sure why we didn't go all out on Diarra (really didn't get sense we did) and then take this kid? Both are long skinny kids. Either way, I'd like the pickup esp if paired with a bigger body like Rooks or an experienced guy like Agou or whatever from GTown.

Reaction Score
He's a 4 year kid... he'll see plenty of burn by the time he's a JR... hopefully with the extra prep year he's developed a little bit so that we can utilize him for at least 5 minutes a game at the very least... He's a frontcourt body that we definitely need.

UConn basketball is built on STRONG backcourts.. the offense, 90% of it, will flow from the 1, 2, & 3 positions for us...

We get a kid that is a willing body up front to man the 4 or 5 for a few minutes a game, give us some Dan Cyrulik/Jake Voskuhl/Phil Nolan/Souleyman Wane type support... Rebound, set screens, block an occasional shot or two, put backs, an occasional jump shot, just plane old understand their role and embrace it.. and grow from there... If this kid can give us that he'd be a success in our system...

Reaction Score
I'd rather not take this guy. He doesn't fill the team needs other than more healthy bodies. Can't really rebound. We've been here before. Keep the scholly open.

At this point, I am not sure how we would pass on any front court prospect. We have multiple slots open and only 9 kids on scholarship. If we keep any more "scholly's open", we may have to suit up Moore or Freeman in practice.

Reaction Score
His video's have a Gavin Edwards look to them, when GE was entering UConn. Turned out to be a nice player, looks like this kid may have a jump on Gavin too. Let's see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom