Isaiah Whaley is visiting on Wednesday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Whaley is visiting on Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have to say I really appreciate the complete lack of "he just needs to put on 20-25 easy pounds of muscle" comments in these recent tweener threads, which used to plague every thread involving a guy over 6'8 and under 240 in the past

Reaction Score
Yeah, well, that report says he tends not to box out. That can be taught/learned. He's 6'10" in HS, at that level he didn't need to learn to box out.

Refresh my memory, what's that drill UConn always does on the first day of practice?

Think it used to be the 3 on 3 drill where the 3 defenders have the inside in a half circle and the other 3 are facing the basket. Coaches throw the ball up at the rim and the all of the defenders need to box out and seal their guy allowing the ball to hit the floor once and then go get it securing the ball. If any one of the defenders fail they stay on the floor until they don't. They keep changing the 3 guys so that's the better place to be so there's 3 very active offensive players looking to get that rebound at all times. Can be very fatiguing if you can't make this happen, very tiring.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Think it used to be the 3 on 3 drill where the 3 defenders have the inside in a half circle and the other 3 are facing the basket. Coaches throw the ball up at the rim and the all of the defenders need to box out and seal their guy allowing the ball to hit the floor once and then go get it securing the ball. If any one of the defenders fail they stay on the floor until they don't. They keep changing the 3 guys so that's the better place to be so there's 3 very active offensive players looking to get that rebound at all times. Can be very fatiguing if you can't make this happen, very tiring.
That's it!!!!!
I think it's called ... wait for it ... the "box out drill" - I thought I remembered something about that.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
That's it!!!!!
I think it's called ... wait for it ... the "box out drill" - I thought I remembered something about that.:rolleyes:

"3 on 3 Box out drill"? When it came we rolled our eyes back in the day. Heck the first time I had to do it was when I was 12 years old on our Jr Pro team. Our coach was a lunatic (great guy, great coach Fairfield captain a few years prior under Barakat) treated us like we were college kids, but it worked. He also had the "animal drill" where 2 guys stand under the basket one on each of the foul line extended and he was in between us with he ball. He'd roll it straight out towards the foul line or mid court but you couldn't begin to go after it until he blew the whistle so you never know how far it would be, the expectation was to get to the ball no matter how grab it and then score it. The loser stayed if scored upon. I'm talking NO WAY they'd allow this even in HS now, bloody noses, floor burns galore and if you didn't dive you were considered a pVssy. It was indoor fumblelina for those who used to do that as kids with your buddies. And the practice ended with 12 guys shooting one-one on the FT line. Lined up watching the guy turned as hell hoping he'd make them both so we didn't do a suicide. Make the first and miss the 2nd half a suicide. Miss the front end, full suicide. Make them both you big cheer. We were a great FT shooting team needless to say. All this for 2 years prior to getting to HS which was candy in comparison quite honestly, no joke!

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
"3 on 3 Box out drill"? When it came we rolled our eyes back in the day. Heck the first time I had to do it was when I was 12 years old on our Jr Pro team. Our coach was a lunatic (great guy, great coach Fairfield captain a few years prior under Barakat) treated us like we were college kids, but it worked. He also had the "animal drill" where 2 guys stand under the basket one on each of the foul line extended and he was in between us with he ball. He'd roll it straight out towards the foul line or mid court but you couldn't begin to go after it until he blew the whistle so you never know how far it would be, the expectation was to get to the ball no matter how grab it and then score it. The loser stayed if scored upon. I'm talking NO WAY they'd allow this even in HS now, bloody noses, floor burns galore and if you didn't dive you were considered a pVssy. It was indoor fumblelina for those who used to do that as kids with your buddies. And the practice ended with 12 guys shooting one-one on the FT line. Lined up watching the guy turned as hell hoping he'd make them both so we didn't do a suicide. Make the first and miss the 2nd half a suicide. Miss the front end, full suicide. Make them both you big cheer. We were a great FT shooting team needless to say. All this for 2 years prior to getting to HS which was candy in comparison quite honestly, no joke!
Exactly. Point is, he's 6'10 and pretty athletic. Good strength & conditioning and good fundamentals can be taught/developed.

And I remember those drills myself, the rollout drill, and box out drills. On my HS team I was a 6'3" power forward (at 165 lb the term 'power' is used loosely). We didn't have much size, but we did have shooters. If I didn't box out and play D the way the coaches drew it up I wasn't playing.

pj

Reaction Score
Exactly. Point is, he's 6'10 and pretty athletic. Good strength & conditioning and good fundamentals can be taught/developed.

And I remember those drills myself, the rollout drill, and box out drills. On my HS team I was a 6'3" power forward (at 165 lb the term 'power' is used loosely). We didn't have much size, but we did have shooters. If I didn't box out and play D the way the coaches drew it up I wasn't playing.

Ha, I was a 6'1" 145 lb power forward. Boxing out was my bread and butter.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
This seems likely. Visiting on Wednesday. Commitment could be near. We will see. Hopefully the first positive domino to fall.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

I've done those both as a player and coach, they're so fun.

I think you may have also mentioned our "Jungle" or "Cage" drill, one on one rebounding and finishing, prison-style, haha -- the most fun 10 minutes of practice.

On topic, I think anyone that size and skill could be worth the shot.

These guys end of developing at such crazily variant levels in college, you never know.

Reaction Score
Looks like we've finally offered:

Well hope this means we will get a commitment pretty soon. Need something good after the all the drama and the horribly long Waters soap opera.

Reaction Score
He probably thinks he is a guard so,
If I were KO I will tell him how much his game reminds me of Kemba's

Prepare film of Bobby Wilkerson from the 70's-70's Indiana Hoosier - 6'9 PG and tell him "this can be you"!

Whatever it takes I agree AZpop

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

And I was a 6' 3", 163# center on one team and power forward on another. SIGH. Never did need to develop a handle.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
And I was a 6' 3", 163# center on one team and power forward on another. SIGH. Never did need to develop a handle.
Kinda hard to carve out position in the post, too.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Kinda hard to carve out position in the post, too.
The biggest guy I had to play against regularly was a 6-8 center who didn't weigh too much more than me. We're talking rail thin. The guy who flat out physically dominated me was 6-5 and about 235.

Reaction Score
The biggest guy I had to play against regularly was a 6-8 center who didn't weigh too much more than me. We're talking rail thin. The guy who flat out physically dominated me was 6-5 and about 235.
Cared....

Reaction Score

Who ran the drill?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Do we have enough dudes to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak