Isaiah Whaley Appreciation Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Whaley Appreciation Thread

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Whatever you want to call him - Pork Chop/Poppers/The Wrench/Zay/whatever - Isaiah Whaley was amazing today. He was arguably our most important player, although Martin was also incredible and probably gets the edge.

If anyone knows how to find this out, I’d love to know how many guys have had at least five blocks and three steals in a game with only one foul. I can’t say enough about this kid’s effort, as well as his overall development from afterthought to a critical piece of a top-25 team.
Huge asset to this team. And to think just a couple of days ago. A couple in here said he shouldn't see the court. I could not figure out that statement. I know who I would like to not see the court. That would be another thread.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
One could argue he has been more consistent than Sanogo as of late and deserves to start at 5 with polley at 4. Let Sanogo think about some of the dumb plays where he goes 1 on 3 ten ft from the basket and refuses to pass out.
Sonogo is going backwards in progression. Cannot hang on to the ball. his toss ups look terrible. Why is he always at the top of the key, ON OFFENSE!!

Reaction Score
One could argue he has been more consistent than Sanogo as of late and deserves to start at 5 with polley at 4. Let Sanogo think about some of the dumb plays where he goes 1 on 3 ten ft from the basket and refuses to pass out.
Stop posting.

I love Whaley but Polly should not start.

Reaction Score
Can’t wait for the next thread saying he should be benched for Hawkins.
At certain times he should. He actually should’ve been playing over Sanogo. Sanogo stunk it up today. We gonna have games where it won’t work. If we do play them both we gonna have to play kite zone. He was playing man against Chapain all night. That won’t work with us having a center guarding wings. It was freaking St. John’s. You see what happened when we actually play somebody good like Villanova.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not just Sanogo needs to think about it but the folks that have allowed him to do it continually. Whaley does all the stuff other players don't want to and has the quickest hands for a big guy. He's not out there to provide instant offense or be a 3 pt threat. To think so many here don't want him to start - insane
No thanks to Polley at the 4

Reaction Score
Really? How'd we do in the games he missed?
Yep totally agree. We play better with Sanogo not clogging the lane or turning over the ball plus Whaley can play his more natural 5.
Think Whaley should start. AS needs a wake-up call. When he plays up to capability we are better with him as starter and IW off the bench but, of the last 6 games AD has had only 1 good game and 5 subpar games. team needs him to be better.

don’t forget that T Martin was also missing so not a good comp Regarding games AS missed.

Reaction Score
Think Whaley should start. AS needs a wake-up call. When he plays up to capability we are better with him as starter and IW off the bench but, of the last 6 games AD has had only 1 good game and 5 subpar games. team needs him to be better.

don’t forget that T Martin was also missing so not a good comp Regarding games AS missed.
Take out the Marquette game and AS has averaged 9.8 and 6.2 while IW has averaged 8.2 and 5.4

Over last six games Whaley 16 blocks and 8 turnovers; Sonogo 7 blocks and 17 turnovers.

Reaction Score
Stop posting.

I love Whaley but Polly should not start.
Starting is a strategy nothing more .
Olander started a bunch of games in the 2011 run
Nolan started in 2014 as we know
neither were the primary person at that position.
I like Polley starting for two reasons
He might be able to protect Sonogo by drawing a guy away from the double. That immediately puts pressure on the opposing coach. If it’s not working you sub no big deal. Little tweaks can pay big dividends or not.
More importantly it could get confidence in his shot back.
He is huge if we’re going to make a run. He having by far his worst shooting year.

Reaction Score
Sonogo is going backwards in progression. Cannot hang on to the ball. his toss ups look terrible. Why is he always at the top of the key, ON OFFENSE!!
I wouldn't go as far as saying "going backwards in progression". He does need to get better at getting ball down low and assess when to pass back out. Imo the only way to do this is to pull him right out of the game and talk/teach him when this is done and put him back in a few minutes. Coach?

Reaction Score
I’m gonna tell y’all something they have in common too though. Sanogo is getting doubled ALOT because teams are completely leaving Whaley. He hasn’t been playing good, but if we could do something to where he wasn’t always getting that extra defender, maybe that would help.

Reaction Score
I got my wrench started for senior night.

E1670094-B62B-499C-A4D8-582D30AF2AA1.jpeg

On Friday, I’ll add silver paint and then cut outs of pork chops and jalapeño poppers.

Reaction Score
Finished this absurd, but fun "art piece" along with the students' in my school's art studio class.

It's already been worth it! Can't wait for tomorrow!

View attachment 73971
I can see that there's something glued onto the other side. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's a squirrel.

Reaction Score
Huge asset to this team. And to think just a couple of days ago. A couple in here said he shouldn't see the court. I could not figure out that statement. I know who I would like to not see the court. That would be another thread.
Let's not make it out that Whaley is a great player. He was awful last game and I think had 2 rebounds for the game. I noticed he often has sub par rebound games. He is a good back up center on a good team. He also has regressed on defense. We will be better without him. I respect his loyalty to UConn but Whaley is an average player and I doubt scouting reports are saying we need to watch out for Whaley

Reaction Score
I’m gonna tell y’all something they have in common too though. Sanogo is getting doubled ALOT because teams are completely leaving Whaley. He hasn’t been playing good, but if we could do something to where he wasn’t always getting that extra defender, maybe that would help.
Polley for Whaley would solve that problem.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Let's not make it out that Whaley is a great player. He was awful last game and I think had 2 rebounds for the game. I noticed he often has sub par rebound games. He is a good back up center on a good team. He also has regressed on defense. We will be better without him. I respect his loyalty to UConn but Whaley is an average player and I doubt scouting reports are saying we need to watch out for Whaley
You are high

Reaction Score

This dude has taken the board by storm with a fusillade of horrendous #takequakes.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This is just so unnecessary the day before senior day. Kid gave us 5 seasons(2 glued to the bench), settled into a lesser role his entire career, and came out of it a high end starter and CDPOY on a top 25 team. You’re a clown for this.

Btw the scouting reports probably say don’t try Whaley, he’ll take your shizz.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom