Isaiah Whaley Appreciation Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Whaley Appreciation Thread

Reaction Score
I think that's where I'm at too, especially considering how UConn struck out on all their primary big targets (Kofi, Qudus and Tre). I don't think there's any difference between two more years of Whaley and any of the JUCO guys we have a realistic shot at landing. Hopefully he stays, adds some strength, and is willing to be coached up by Hunter.

Yeah, I like Akok and Carlton to start next year with Polley and Whaley each seeing 15-20 minutes a night as the main guys off the bench for the front court.

Reaction Score
I've been wanting Whaley to get more playing time all season. Not sure why it hasn't happened. Proud of him for being ready when his number was called. Way to step up when his team needed him.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I liked the way he seemed to be really enjoying himself out there as well. And that's how you get more time, show you are ready when you get the call.

Reaction Score
Even though Hurley hasn't played Whaley this season except in really short increments, we have not heard anything negative concerning his status as a player or his work ethic and attitude. Kind of a "program" player this year. Always has his head up on the bench, really good positive demeanor, invested in the team. Hearing Hurley speak of him as a high character individual, and seeing the impact that he does have on the court with his energy and effort, and lastly understanding that he's very coachable, leads me to believe that Isaiah is going to be here next year if he wants to be.
Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think Hurley is going to force anyone to leave. He wants them to buy in and know their role, no matter how small that role is. Some of them can't really handle that, and left/will leave. Some will, will stay, adapt, and grow.

Reaction Score
I think that's where I'm at too, especially considering how UConn struck out on all their primary big targets (Kofi, Qudus and Tre). I don't think there's any difference between two more years of Whaley and any of the JUCO guys we have a realistic shot at landing. Hopefully he stays, adds some strength, and is willing to be coached up by Hunter.
It’s reasons like this that I hope we get some sort of postseason basketball. Extra minutes for Whaley over Cobb would be huge in helping us to see what we might have in him next year

Reaction Score
Whaley and Sid are that box of chocolate....worth waiting for what your gonna get

Reaction Score
Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle- that's what Whaley was yesterday. High enegry and max effort made his minutes extremely valuable, especially on the defensive end. While he is a liability on offense, there's no reason he can't earn spot minutes at the 4 next season, depending on the line up. I'm very impressed by his mental toughness. After having countless DNP's, he was still engaged enough to make a difference in that game when his number was finally called. Most kids would have checked out by now.

Reaction Score
Not to derail this thread but it would have been nice to see what four years of development could have done for Facey. The kid had a seriously high ceiling that he didn't come close to approaching.

While I disagree with most on Brimah due to lack of bball IQ I have to definitely think hard on this one. While KF did lack IQ early on even that developed, like his body, and I think this staff could've made him quite a player have to agree would've been interesting.

Reaction Score
Completely agree. Was giving us solid play again in first half. We were down either 3 or 5 when he went out and didn't get back in until down 40. This is not how we should reward hard work and solid play. Puzzling?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yeah, I like Akok and Carlton to start next year with Polley and Whaley each seeing 15-20 minutes a night as the main guys off the bench for the front court.

10-15m tops. If Polley is locked in from outside, ride him a bit longer.

Reaction Score
Whaley deserves to play, somewhere. He seems like a great guy but we need more talent at his spot. I don't know about you guys but I'm tired of playing with guys that simply are not that good. It's time to fill the roster with more talent. I think Whaley gets that and would want to be in a situation where he plays more.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I would assume it’s Whaley’s fault, stemming from practice performance and effort.

He’s also been stuck looking like Tyler Polley with a much worse shot, so he’s not gonna have much opportunity on a team playing 3 guard ball no matter what he does. Right or wrong, in the few minutes he was on the floor this year, he always looked like the most active rebounder and defender on the floor, and I’m surprised it took him this long to break through in some way.
Last year whalley was demonstrably our best option in the middle, from a poor group that included both csrlton and cobb. Carlton's improvement came well into this season, so i can't imagine how both he and cobb were taking all the minutes to the virtual exclusion of whalley until yesterday.

Reaction Score
This isn't hard. When you are playing with 4 perimeter players every minute of every game, you really really really want a 5 that can play with his back to the basket in the low post. That is Cobb and Carlton. Add to that that Cobb was our best player in our best win of the year, and then might have been our best in taking Arizona to the wire, and Hurley gave him every chance to keep the backup job. Ultimately, his defense devolved to where he couldn't cover my salad (presumably a Cobb salad) in a refrigerator, but playing a string bean pogo stick 5 without a shot was not going to make this team better.

You'd never remember how many threads there were in November and December wanting to criticize Hurley for not playing Cobb more.

Reaction Score
This isn't hard. When you are playing with 4 perimeter players every minute of every game, you really really really want a 5 that can play with his back to the basket in the low post. That is Cobb and Carlton. Add to that that Cobb was our best player in our best win of the year, and then might have been our best in taking Arizona to the wire, and Hurley gave him every chance to keep the backup job. Ultimately, his defense devolved to where he couldn't cover my salad (presumably a Cobb salad) in a refrigerator, but playing a string bean pogo stick 5 without a shot was not going to make this team better.

You'd never remember how many threads there were in November and December wanting to criticize Hurley for not playing Cobb more.
The Whaley posts are some of the strangest, have been all season. You would think Hurley has been hiding Rodman at the end of the bench with some of these posts.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Last year whalley was demonstrably our best option in the middle, from a poor group that included both csrlton and cobb. Carlton's improvement came well into this season, so i can't imagine how both he and cobb were taking all the minutes to the virtual exclusion of whalley until yesterday.

Whaley was hurt for the first 3rd of this year. And Carlton was developing, though it was tough to see during games. I think Hurley made the right choice on that one.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

And as I mentioned above, it looks like Hurley made the right call with Carlton.

I'd rather have a high end center in there, but I'm not terrified of him next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom