Isaiah Briscoe and 2000 other topics. | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Briscoe and 2000 other topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Speaking of Briscoe,

He has this absolutely disgusting spin move, step-back jumper. I've never seen anything like it before in my life except this (@ 3:00):

And that wasn't in traffic like Briscoe's.

Briscoe's move looks different to me and is just ridiculous. Mainly the third one, @ the 1 minute mark. I had to watch it a few times to see how he did it. Thanks for bringing it up.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
Briscoe is that strong guard mold that we haven't had in quite some time...that's why I'm pumped for Purv this year

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My thoughts exactly. He's more of a Dyson-slasher/banger type guard. The guy who gets his nose dirty. Adams is more of a finesse player. I can only imagine a backcourt of Briscoe and Adams in their sophomore seasons...
It's my guess your imagination will be getting a preview of that type of combo this season.

Reaction Score
This is gonna sound like a weird comparison, but he seems to have a lot of Paul Pierce in his game - very herky-jerky, and he's able to overpower guys at his position. He also has excellent footwork that allows him to create space.

Reaction Score
"This is gonna sound like a weird comparison, but he seems to have a lot of Paul Pierce in his game - very herky-jerky, and he's able to overpower guys at his position. He also has excellent footwork that allows him to create space."

That's not a bad comparison at all. I saw Briscoe play a little at the Dallas EYBL this summer. He plays with great confidence, control and pace. He's obviously 3-4 inches shorter than Pierce, but the style is similar. Briscoe handles the ball more and is a good passer (although PP is a good playmaker too). We will all be very happy if Briscoe comes to Storrs. He brings maturity and swagger to the Court. He'd fit in perfectly with our guards and would be an awesome compliment to J Adams. D. Jones fills more of a position need but man, we'd have a scary 3-4 guard lineup going w/Brimah protecting the paint (assuming he stays another year).

Reaction Score
I think New Haven is very attractive city. It gets a bad rap.

Best city in CT. It has the best nightlife, food/restaurants, best University, cultural aspects, architectural aspects, etc. Obviously it has its seedy areas but so do every other city.

Reaction Score
Anyone who's seen him play, what type of defender do you think he'll be at the next level?

I'm not completely sold on his game and wonder if he'd be a defensive weak link since it's our D that has won us the last two NCs.

Then again I wasn't wowed by Boatright's D till tournament time and look at the impact he had showing us something he hadn't done all season long. Though he has the athleticism to do what he did. Briscoe simply doesn't have that level of athleticism.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Anyone who's seen him play, what type of defender do you think he'll be at the next level?

I'm not completely sold on his game and wonder if he'd be a defensive weak link since it's our D that has won us our last four NCs.
Fixed it for you.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You know you log on to these threads thinking there is actually some information about the recruitment of these kids only to find out people are talking about skylines.

How much recruiting formation could there actually be in an 12 page thread?

We are at the 'what he likes for breakfast' phase of the game?

Reaction Score
Fixed it for you.
I don't think the 2004 NC team was as good defensively as the other three NC teams. The past two clearly won with their D and their making winning time plays. The same can be said for the 99 team.

Reaction Score
We could stop arguing about Lexington for a while. This is good news. I thought this door was about closed. Would be great if this worked out.

PS I never said Boston & Lexington were alike.. Just that the population of Lexington was closer to Boston's than Hartford's. But I really don't care about Lexington

Not a valid comparison at all. Lexington is 285.5 sq miles in size. Hartford is 17.3 sq miles in size. Not remotely similar.

Cities and communities in the south and Midwest are larger in area size while cities/towns in the Northeast are much much smaller. It would be like me saying the entire UConn football team weighs more than the Giants offensive line. Well of course they do its about 100 players compared to 5 starting lineman.

A fair comparison would be Hartford, East Hartford, West Hartford, Manchester, South Windsor, Bloomfield, Wethersfield, Newington, Glastonbury, Avon, Farmington. All those towns together are 271.68 sq miles in area with a population 464,960. That is 159,471 more people in 13.82 less sq miles.

Boston population is 636,479 in 89.63 sq miles. Lexington is in no feasible way comparable to Boston. Washington DC would be a comparison to Boston.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't think the 2004 NC team was as good defensively as the other three NC teams. The past two clearly won with their D and their making winning time plays. The same can be said for the 99 team.

Hmmm. The interior D of the 2004 team was probably the best of all the teams. Okafor alone would have put them over the top. Also, Taliek could really D up on the perimeter. The 2 (Ben) and 3 (when Rash was in; Denham could mix it up) were not exactly stalwarts from a defensive perspective though.

Reaction Score
How much recruiting formation could there actually be in an 12 page thread?

We are at the 'what he likes for breakfast' phase of the game?
Agree. I made that point more than once in these recruiting threads. I think we should lock these down soon and wait till someone starts a new one with some real recruiting news.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The 2004 team was better defensively than 2014 and 2011.

That team held opponents to 64 points per game, under 37% shooting, led the country in blocked shots and just erased them on the boards.

Reaction Score
Hmmm. The interior D of the 2004 team was probably the best of all the teams. Okafor alone would have put them over the top. Also, Taliek could really D up on the perimeter. The 2 (Ben) and 3 (when Rash was in; Denham could mix it up) were not exactly stalwarts from a defensive perspective though.
Emeka was a great college post defender, and TV was solid but the rest were suspect, as you pointed out. IMO, it was their explosive offense (Ben, Shad, Denham and Mek down low) that led to success a tad more than their D. They were very good defensively, just not as dominant as the other 3 teams.

Reaction Score
The 2004 team was better defensively than 2014 and 2011.

That team held opponents to 64 points per game, under 37% shooting, led the country in blocked shots and just erased them on the boards.
I never let facts get in the way of a good argument. ;)

Reaction Score
Taliek and Boone were more than solid defensively.

That team may not have been comprised of all great individual defenders, but they were bigger and more athletic and flat out more talented than everyone else. That, combined with Emeka's D, made them an elite defensive team.

Reaction Score
Emeka was a great college post defender, and TV was solid but the rest were suspect, as you pointed out. IMO, it was their explosive offense (Ben, Shad, Denham and Mek down low) that led to success a tad more than their D. They were very good defensively, just not as dominant as the other 3 teams.

Boone was also an outstanding defender. 2004 might have been our best defensive team ever.

Reaction Score
Okay, I'll concede and throw the 2004 team back into the mix. My gosh, how easy people railroad threads and ideas on this forum. My question was about Briscoe not about the 2004 NC team. I think it's about time we lock down these recruiting threads and start a new once someone has something that actually has to do with the recruit and recruiting new. This board has increasingly become more and more frustrating as far as so many driving threads completely off the tracks, more so than I've ever seen in the past.

Do most agree? Any other fellow mods think we should lock these up and wait till someone has some real recruiting news to start up some new ones on the recruits that are still in play?

Note that I'm not trying back off the debate about the 2004 team. If anyone wants to start a separate thread on that topic, I'm fine with that. I'm probably undervaluing that teams ability to play D. They were up-and-down that year and looked very vulnerable leading into the NCAAs, though I guess the same could be said for the 2011 and 14 teams, which both took their D to another level come tourney time. So I guess, I will join the ranks that all 4 teams should be lumped together as teams that won their NCs predominantly with their D. Now is everyone fricken happy now?!?! :)

Granted I might have been wrong, but it sure seems that when anyone makes a statement on this board, someone feels it's their obligation to blow holes in it. I guess that's what forums are all about, but it just seems insufferable here at times in that regard.

Reaction Score
I'm going to take a command action and lock this one down. If some of the other mods don't think that's a good idea, feel free to unlock it. Like many, I'm tired of opening these up and finding out that the latest has nothing to do with recruiting news. Once someone has something newsworthy, please use the recruiting year prefix, the recruits name and let's hope that thread stays on the tracks. I'm not very hopeful it will.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

I have been watching games from the 2004 season and the announcers said that that team led the country in FG% defense. Interestingly, it looked to me that Rashad actually played better defense than Denham for the most part, making some big plays. JC did try to use Denham to guard Randy Foye and that did not work out too well. Taliek was a strong defender by that point in his career and Josh was often really good playing with Emeka as well as stepping up big when Emeka's back would not let him play in BET. I agree with DM that BG, RA, and DB were not great defenders, but Emeka made up for a lot. Having Charlie came in handy as well as he did really well overall when Emeka was out.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I have been watching games from the 2004 season and the announcers said that that team led the country in FG% defense. Interestingly, it looked to me that Rashad actually played better defense than Denham for the most part, making some big plays. JC did try to use Denham to guard Randy Foye and that did not work out too well..

Huh. I just remember Rash's ole D, but it's all based on memory, so I'll defer to your more recent viewing/analysis. Perhaps DB was stronger by his senior year (2006 yuck)?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm going to take a command action and lock this one down. If some of the other mods don't think that's a good idea, feel free to unlock it. Like many, I'm tired of opening these up and finding out that the latest has nothing to do with recruiting news. Once someone has something newsworthy, please use the recruiting year prefix, the recruits name and let's hope that thread stays on the tracks. I'm not very hopeful it will.

Being the offseason (still) I liked the solution of changing the title to include all and sundry. Waiting (im)patiently for the day in the very near future when we can get back on topic: 2015 UCONN BB.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Being the offseason (still) I liked the solution of changing the title to include all and sundry. Waiting (im)patiently for the day in the very near future when we can get back on topic: 2015 UCONN BB.

It's a 12-page thread with 35,000 views - you can't lock that because one person griped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom