Is UConn still the front runner for Megan Walker? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is UConn still the front runner for Megan Walker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
first time Ive seen her play at all... thanks for the video

Reaction Score
very hard to determine both from unknown quality of defenders and because 3 on 3 is a very different game. But I'm really impressed with her decisiveness, court sense, and overall kinetic intelligence. Like speed, you can't coach it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
very hard to determine both from unknown quality of defenders and because 3 on 3 is a very different game. But I'm really impressed with her decisiveness, court sense, and overall kinetic intelligence. Like speed, you can't coach it.
Kinetic intelligence? Break this one down for me in basketball terms please.

Reaction Score
Kinetic intelligence? Break this one down for me in basketball terms please.
Howard Gardner's landmark book on multiple intelligences that allowed us to see that there are many ways to measure "intelligence" besides the traditional IQ way. Kinesthetic (what I've been calling for short kinetic) intelligence wasn't part of his original theory. But he revised his book after seeing Michael Jordan, because he realized that he missed that one!

The Wikipedia article defines it: "a sense of timing, a clear sense of the goal of a physical action, along with the ability to train responses."
Theory of multiple intelligences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

we'd say "court sense". I think in any fast moving, continuous action game (basketball, soccer, lacrosse etc) we all get a feeling that some players really "get it"--how they envision at some subconscious level how all the parts on the field/court are unfolding and in what way their own physical skills can be used to maximum advantage at that precise moment. Like an artist, faced with a blank canvas, can suddenly paint a picture almost from the subconscious.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Posting this here too cause I know it's hard to read every thread:

Now that UC has locked up Crystal and Molly, Walker (Come on, you know this is THE PLACE for you) and Gordon (Samuelson, too) should be feasting on defenses that cannot keep them doubled or zoned. They'll be getting the ball where they want it, not rotating back for it.

Reaction Score
Now that UC has locked up Crystal and Molly, Walker (Come on, you know this is THE PLACE for you) and Gordon (Samuelson, too) should be feasting on defenses that cannot keep them doubled or zoned. They'll be getting the ball where they want it, not rotating back for it.
I don't understand why an opposing team wouldn't think about using a zone against outside shooters. Of course, it depends on the personnel and how they work in (say) a 2-3, but that's usually the first response to that type of offense.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Howard Gardner's landmark book on multiple intelligences that allowed us to see that there are many ways to measure "intelligence" besides the traditional IQ way. Kinesthetic (what I've been calling for short kinetic) intelligence wasn't part of his original theory. But he revised his book after seeing Michael Jordan, because he realized that he missed that one!

The Wikipedia article defines it: "a sense of timing, a clear sense of the goal of a physical action, along with the ability to train responses."

we'd say "court sense". I think in any fast moving, continuous action game (basketball, soccer, lacrosse etc) we all get a feeling that some players really "get it"--how they envision at some subconscious level how all the parts on the field/court are unfolding and in what way their own physical skills can be used to maximum advantage at that precise moment. Like an artist, faced with a blank canvas, can suddenly paint a picture almost from the subconscious.
So you mean like how MJ could switch hands in mid flight or Maya could just glide forever it seem like, or how Dr. J could start on one side of the backboard and end up on the other side almost hit his head and is still going up, or how DT could be falling out of bounds and instinctively switch hands and swish the shot left handed, or how Magic could throw a bounce pass the length of the court behind his back with the right spin to hit Michael Cooper in stride for a dunk or how Larry Bird could do the same thing as a tribute to Magic in one of his last games at the Garden. I'm I getting close?

Reaction Score

The Great One, Wayne Gretzky had a capacity of seeing the ice and visualizing what would be transpiring seemingly seconds before it actually happened, thus being able to react ALMOST before the fact. A wonderful gift, indeed!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I don't understand why an opposing team wouldn't think about using a zone against outside shooters. Of course, it depends on the personnel and how they work in (say) a 2-3, but that's usually the first response to that type of offense.

I am sure they thought about it, BUT. . .

Once they perceived Mo, Lou, and Kia as long-range bombers, the "2" in a 2-3 zone could not match up well against three good shooters.;)

Reaction Score
So you mean like how MJ could switch hands in mid flight or Maya could just glide forever it seem like, or how Dr. J could start on one side of the backboard and end up on the other side almost hit his head and is still going up, or how DT could be falling out of bounds and instinctively switch hands and swish the shot left handed, or how Magic could throw a bounce pass the length of the court behind his back with the right spin to hit Michael Cooper in stride for a dunk or how Larry Bird could do the same thing as a tribute to Magic in one of his last games at the Garden. I'm I getting close?
Since you've forgotten more about basketball than I'll ever know, CocoHusky, I'm not expressing myself well here, because maybe I don't even know what I mean exactly. Yes, for sure, all these things that you say, these seemingly impossibly spontaneous actions. But--and I admit this is entirely subjective, even mystical--don't you get a sense that some players see everything, like Buzzyboy says about the Great One, even before things happen? (don't skate for the puck, skate to where the puck is going to be....) That they sense patterns and player tendencies; that they can move players around with passes to the best position rather than to where the player happens to be then (like Magic could always do; and which I sense that UConn's Lou could do when she becomes more the top dog on the team).

I remember one game where the Lakers were playing (don't remember the opponent), and it was 3 on 1 fast break with only Jerry West on defense. Like he's supposed to, he begins to challenge the point pulling up at the foul line, but it's a fake: instead, West jumps to his right, perfectly anticipating that the point is going to throw to that wing. 1 in 3 chance maybe, but I always thought that Jerry West somehow knew, not guessed. Again, a kind of mystical ability to integrate multiple sensations and intelligences. Maybe what Csikszentmihalyi (had to look up the spelling!) calls "The Flow."

Reaction Score
I am sure they thought about it, BUT. . .

Once they perceived Mo, Lou, and Kia as long-range bombers, the "2" in a 2-3 zone could not match up well against three good shooters.;)
Then a 3-2? :). Of course, that zone would be taken apart by Stewie and Tuck. But every type of defense was taken apart by UConn. But we aren't talking about the last team, but the next one, where it's not apparent that UConn will be so dominant underneath.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Bags - zone defenses are notoriously bad at defending the arc. They are mostly designed to prevent dribble penetration, pick and roll offense, and to collapse on strong post offenses. It takes a truly remarkable zone to deal with a perimeter shooting team. Even in a match-up zone, the ability to overload the perimeter on offense is too great. Hence the JPM's record against Uconn!

Reaction Score
Bags - zone defenses are notoriously bad at defending the arc. They are mostly designed to prevent dribble penetration, pick and roll offense, and to collapse on strong post offenses. It takes a truly remarkable zone to deal with a perimeter shooting team. Even in a match-up zone, the ability to overload the perimeter on offense is too great. Hence the JPM's record against Uconn!
Of course, you're right UcMiami. Thanks for this. I honestly don't know what I was thinking. Like it's summer time and my mind is in brain freeze or something, and the more I thought about it, the "wronger" I got. Like trying to screw in a light bulb the wrong direction and keep doing it. wow. Thanks again.

Reaction Score
That team would be tough to zone because Crystal, Collier and Walker will drive the zone and kick out when the coverage comes... that was my point. That's exactly what her teammates did for Kaleena M-L.

Reaction Score

Another example of this ability was Wayne Gretsky in hockey. He was described by a number of analysts as knowing where the puck was going to be , not following the puck on its way to a particular spot. It was also described as being able to anticipate a few plays in advance of what was likely to happen and therefore be there ahead of the play.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Posting this here too cause I know it's hard to read every thread:

Try this...........
After watching this video, try to imagine Walking scoring all of those baskets on a regular basis wearing a UConn uniform. I just did, and it was a very satisfying experience. :rolleyes:

This video shows why she's on the top of every team's "want list" ranked in the top 50 of Division 1 WCBB. Thus it's obvious that she would be welcomed at ANY program she wants to go to. If by chance, that program did not have a scholarship available, they'd create one.

Reaction Score
Another player who seemed to have that innate ability to "know" or anticipate what was going to happen in the next few milliseconds and respond to it was Maya. Her instincts and basketball acumen were (are) off the charts and part of what makes her so remarkable.

Reaction Score
2 pics of MW and the ND coaches on her Instagram . Makes me nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom