Is UConn still the front runner for Megan Walker? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Is UConn still the front runner for Megan Walker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As an educator, retired now, I never friended my students on social media. Its a no - no.

There is a line between adults and kids/ students. As a professional that was and is my stance. That line should not be crossed. Now having said that, I now have serveral friends on Facebook who are former students. They now have their own families and we follow each other. And all are still involved in music/ band as they were in school.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I really see nothing wrong with taking a look at potential recruits' social media postings, just like I have no problem with folks looking at current and former players social media postings - I enjoy seeing some of the interesting posts that have been brought over to the boneyard. The reality of social media is that the world has changed drastically from my youth, and younger people as well as many of my age mates are now sharing an incredible amount of information with the world in very public ways. Most of it is absolute drivel that I have no interest in (I am talking about you cousin John specifically!:)) but it is what it is and it does give folks a little added insight into the personalities of players and recruits. And really, all of the recruiting services seem to provide a one stop source for much of the social media posting of recruits they are in contact with. So what is the big difference between checking out Raoul on twitter vs. one of the recruits themselves.

Following, posting, liking, and other active actions on a HS student's social media does creep me out for any fan who is not also in HS, and the same for college players - but I do understand that part of Skylar's media appeal for example is specifically because she had so many followers on social media in college and most were likely significantly older than her.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
My take on social media & recruiting:

I will look at recruits twitter and instagram pages (if they are public). These kids are tech savvy. They know how to set social media to private, so if their social media is public they know that fans, coaches, etc. can see what they post. I will not follow, like, or reply to anything.

I tend to follow the ND kids on twitter once they sign with ND but I don't "like" any posts until they are in college. Once they are in college, they are adults and they know they are in the public eye. I never reply to tweets by players of any age (including pros). They don't need some random fan filling up their notifications.''

Mostly recruits' twitter pages don't tell you anything. These kids are smart enough to keep whatever way they are leaning close to the vest. But occasionally you will see posts about visits or what coaches were at their tournament or that sort of thing. For example, Lauryn Miller just posted pics on her twitter of her official visit to ND. I do think it is silly to look at every post as a possible clue, though.

Reaction Score
I seem to remember this post was about one Megan Walker. I believe she has finished her graduate studies and started an internship with a major sporting goods company.Head bang

Reaction Score
I believe any adult who follows college basketball recruits on social media (I do not) does so only to learn their thoughts about schools they might attend, not because of any interest in their wide ranging banter. First of all these kids don't speak English. They speak English++, or perhaps E++. I know this because a few years ago I returned to school to earn a Masters degree. The most convenient place to eat was a cafeteria where mostly undergraduates ate. That first day I sat at a table with a bunch of teenagers. I admit I was mesmerized by their quick, spontaneous, intelligent wit although I didn't understand E++. After the second day, I couldn't take it any more. I'm still trying to learn English. No E++ please! Parking was a big problem, but I found a restaurant a few miles away where people spoke English. And I am living happily ever after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom