Is UConn Facing a Structural Problem? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Is UConn Facing a Structural Problem?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am not sure I agree. Isn't the single most important task of a head coach in this era picking the right coordinators? If he's failed miserably at it, how good a coach is he really? And it's not money. There is no reason we shouldn't have well above average G-5 coaches based on what we spend.
Loyalty and the desire to fix, rather than abandon, may be Mora's "tragic flaw". He clearly has seen and has publicly acknowledged some of the questionable decisions made by Charlton and has a knowledge that the offense was not " ready to play" at times this season. Or it may be that he thinks Charlton's schemes are solid and just not being executed.

I'm interested in seeing what happens after the end of the season. In my opinion, we need to hire both and OC and a DC.

Reaction Score
We aren’t going to those two conferences so that idea is null. I said conference affiliation had nothing to do with our losses this year.
The idea isn't null because the premise is, there is a huge benefit to being in a conference, no matter what it is called. I said conference affiliation matters big time.

Reaction Score
Yeah, we have seen this movie before. A collapse after a 6-7 year. Was it 2016 or 2017? Doesn't matter, it is seared into our collective minds.

What the heck is going on?

Some things have occurred to me that have not been discussed and some that have. In no particular order:

1. It seems almost obvious that player mobility is hurting UConn rather than helping. UConn as a lower level independent, is being used as a training ground and they are unable to replace their losses to the portal with equal quality.
2. The psychological effect of not joining a P4 conference when it was built up as almost a sure thing throughout the summer. A resulting WTF attitude by the players after the letdown.
3. Rolling around in the back of my mind has been the thought that if this goes on much longer, HCJM may decide he has had enough of a no-win situation and just ask to be released from his contract. Guessing not the end of this season, but by the end of next season it would become a real possibility if this continues.
4. Like recruiting players, recruiting coaches is really tough at UConn. I am a little more tolerant of less than optimum coaching than most. But are we suffering from this? Hard to imagine that HCJM did not get first rate coaches, but UConn's football status may have affected quality. I am not qualified to judge, the comments here by others notwithstanding.
5. If HCJM did exit, who might UConn get? Almost certainly a successul FCS coach I would guess. Who else would come? Wou;d Bob Chesney up the road be a good match? I doubt UConn could beat Holy Cross right now.
6. Is the lack of bigtime NIL the problem? Feels like the players' expectations might have been higher and they are just mailing it in. Thoughts?
7. It is a little frustrating to think that UConn would be in the B12 now if they had stayed in the AAC and won a BB nattie. Of course the BB fans would argue that the nattie would not have happened had they stayed in the AAC. Personally I think that Hurley could have done it in the AAC, but that and a second mortgage will get you on the subway these days.
8. Also rolling around the back of my head is the factoid that the last UConn HC whose team started the season 0-4 got fired the next Tuesday ... nine days after his team came within 3 points of Michigan. [Sorry, this may not be quite correct, but the point stands.] That is not happening this year, but the situation does look very unfavorable.
I know the Rent and Xcel center have structural problems

Reaction Score
My worry is that recruits will watch our performance and think “I do not want to play for that.” It’s almost a self-fulfilling prophecy or a chicken and the egg problem.

As I’ve always said, you’re allowed to lose ball games that’s literally the nature of sports sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. HOWEVER, what WR would want to come to UConn when the OC calls plays like a middle school coach? Or where it’s acceptable for the players to show no effort and still play?

I hope I’m wrong but it is a concern I have.

Reaction Score
Our team is literally falling apart. We have 2 RBs left. I truly don’t know how we make it the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
My worry is that recruits will watch our performance and think “I do not want to play for that.” It’s almost a self-fulfilling prophecy or a chicken and the egg problem.

As I’ve always said, you’re allowed to lose ball games that’s literally the nature of sports sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. HOWEVER, what WR would want to come to UConn when the OC calls plays like a middle school coach? Or where it’s acceptable for the players to show no effort and still play?

This is not a new concern.

Reaction Score
m
This is not a new concern.
Maybe not new but certainly more pronounced. Look I’ve only been watching consistently for a few years but this is as bad as I’ve seen it. Maybe some of the more seasoned fans can tell me if I’m wrong but I don’t really know how you get worse than this. Especially offensively.

Reaction Score
Our team is literally falling apart. We have 2 RBs left. I truly don’t know how we make it the rest of the season.
Three scholarship RBs: Rosa, Edwards, and Mitchell plus 3 walk-ons. And, Jelani Stafford.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
m

Maybe not new but certainly more pronounced. Look I’ve only been watching consistently for a few years but this is as bad as I’ve seen it. Maybe some of the more seasoned fans can tell me if I’m wrong but I don’t really know how you get worse than this. Especially offensively.

You must be very very new to UConn football.

Reaction Score
m

No, I think you’re right. This is about as bad as it’s been, and we‘ve had some epic bad teams, so bad that COVID was kind of a relief and we didn’t have to watch for a whole year. It was a blessing to cancel the season, it was a break from the incessant beating we were getting. Now we have a much better organized staff, and the futility continues, and people want to blame the staff, and the play calling, etc. It’s not that. I’s that there is no reason for the overlooked kid from Fl or Tx to come here because we are no longer in a BCS conference. Now they can just go to a local FL or Tx program. Why come to UConn? No reason. You see the result on the field. At least with Boston
College they have a reason, ACC, but even so, look at them: also pathetic. So yeah, it’s a structural problem.

Reaction Score

I can't believe we lost Houston. This was Jim Mora, All In, The Revolution, Dave Benedict going out and finding a guy to turn this thing around. And now the wheels are blowing off. Beating Utah State would be a huge boost. A loss, and things will continue to spiral.

Reaction Score
Mora is not a good coach. We all got duped by 6 wins because we have been bad for years. Let’s get Bob Chesney in here next year. He has turned around worse programs. He’ll probably end up at BCU and we will all be miserable watching BCU getting back into the top 25.

Reaction Score
Mora is not a good coach. We all got duped by 6 wins because we have been bad for years. Let’s get Bob Chesney in here next year. He has turned around worse programs. He’ll probably end up at BCU and we will all be miserable watching BCU getting back into the top 25.
I think you’re unfortunately right. Can’t execute basics, penalty ridden, players jumping off a sinking ship are clear signs of a big problem. I hope Mora can clean up this mess by bringing in a talented OC and DC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I wouldn't mind clearing this board of non-UConn posters for a couple of weeks. Don't need to ban them, just let the rest of us take a break.

Reaction Score
Then why did you say Mora was going to leave for the BC job before the season so now all of the sudden Bob Chesny is an upgrade? You have blown your cover your a BC troll.

Reaction Score
I think you’re unfortunately right. Can’t execute basics, penalty ridden, players jumping off a sinking ship are clear signs of a big problem. I hope Mora can clean up this mess by bringing in a talented OC and DC.
Geez. From one side of your mouth comes “he can’t execute basics” and from the other side comes “I hope Mora can clean up this mess”.
:eek:

Reaction Score

It's high time this troll gets sent on his way.

Reaction Score
Geez. From one side of your mouth comes “he can’t execute basics” and from the other side comes “I hope Mora can clean up this mess”.
:eek:
It means he needs help. It’s pretty clear you can be the HC and DC and baby sit a terrible OC. It’s way too much handle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom