Is UConn Facing a Structural Problem? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is UConn Facing a Structural Problem?

Reaction Score
You might want to look up where the top NIL athlete in college athletics plies her trade, old man. Olivia Dunne. Try a google.

I hope LSU doesn't lose football players who can't deal with it. The poor things.
Why don't u do that for us?

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The structural problem relates to coaching hires. We have missed at almost every opportunity to improve coaching since PP was hired. I think Mora was a great choice and think he can get the job done; however, he has to find an offensive coordinator and a defensive coordinator to implement his vision for the team. Without them, there is only so much he can do.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The highest paid athlete in college is a female gymnast at LSU, some people say.
And a basketball player on LSU's women's team is making more than any football player from that school.

pj

Reaction Score
Looking at UConn from the perspective of a southern P4 school, nothing captures UConn more than the fact that it has a woman on their basketball team pulling down million dollar NIL contracts while the football players are getting next to nothing. To them, that pretty much says it all. "Those people are just different."

Good point about NIL as a signal of commitment. Also, the football team taking a year off for Covid, and the marching band skipping a football game due to a few sick musicians. There are too many people around the athletic department with higher priorities than football. Maybe Mora and Benedict are working to change that, but even if they succeed, it will take time to persuade the typical "southern P4 school" that UConn has the level of commitment needed for competitiveness.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
7. It is a little frustrating to think that UConn would be in the B12 now if they had stayed in the AAC and won a BB nattie.
If everything else stayed the same but Connecticut stayed in the ACC, I doubt we would have gotten into the big 12. People seem to think that there is some secret magic bullet that gets us into a P4 conference. Maybe there is, but I have to believe sucking less at football wouldn't hurt our chances. If we did stay in the American, we certainly wouldn't have won a national championship because he members of the team have said that being in the Big East was attractive to them.

So we would've been in a situation where we wouldn't have the success of a recent Natty, we would still suck in football, and we'd be in a watered down version of the already miserable AAC with the vast majority of our content tucked away on ESPN plus.

Personally, I'm glad we left.

Reaction Score
If everything else stayed the same but Connecticut stayed in the ACC, I doubt we would have gotten into the big 12. People seem to think that there is some secret magic bullet that gets us into a P4 conference. Maybe there is, but I have to believe sucking less at football wouldn't hurt our chances. If we did stay in the American, we certainly wouldn't have won a national championship because he members of the team have said that being in the Big East was attractive to them.

So we would've been in a situation where we wouldn't have the success of a recent Natty, we would still suck in football, and we'd be in a watered down version of the already miserable AAC with the vast majority of our content tucked away on ESPN plus.

Personally, I'm glad we left.
I don’t know if leaving was right or wrong but I think being in a conference at least showed recruits that we were committed to football. Whether you agree with joining the big east or not, going independent in FB certainly did not show commitment to the sport. I think it really makes recruiting harder.

And again, the AAC was not perfect by the farthest stretch and traveling to Tulsa isn’t a great selling point but I also think independence really hurts us.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don’t know if leaving was right or wrong but I think being in a conference at least showed recruits that we were committed to football. Whether you agree with joining the big east or not, going independent in FB certainly did not show commitment to the sport. I think it really makes recruiting harder.

And again, the AAC was not perfect by the farthest stretch and traveling to Tulsa isn’t a great selling point but I also think independence really hurts us.
Has there been a drop off in talent since we left the American? Current results not with standing, I felt like Mora had kicked it up a notch.

There's a lot of things that go into our football team not being very good, but the biggest thing is not conference affiliation, it is three singularly bad hires in a row. That'll kill a program regardless of conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
Has there been a drop off in talent since we left the American? Current results not with standing, I felt like Mora had kicked it up a notch.

There's a lot of things that go into our football team not being very good, but the biggest thing is not conference affiliation, it is three singularly bad hires in a row. That'll kill a program regardless of conference affiliation.
I think those are all fair points. However all things being equal, I think Mora in the AAC has a better shot at improving the program than Mora as an independent.

And here’s why I think that: there’s nothing to play for right now really. We’re clearly never going to the playoffs - much like every other G5 and most P4 teams - so we have to have other things to play for. Random bowl games I guess count but that’s not really enough. What did Hurley do this year? Cut outs of the preseason tourneys, BE championship, BE regular season, NCAA championship. Now it’s not one to one with FB but you can do something similar with the regular season, conference championship, tied-in bowl game. Right now these kids are playing for nothing. Just a random slate of games each year with the hope of maybe some random bowl. I don’t think that’s very motivating to recruits or current players.

Reaction Score
Good point about NIL as a signal of commitment. Also, the football team taking a year off for Covid, and the marching band skipping a football game due to a few sick musicians. There are too many people around the athletic department with higher priorities than football. Maybe Mora and Benedict are working to change that, but even if they succeed, it will take time to persuade the typical "southern P4 school" that UConn has the level of commitment needed for competitiveness.

Who funds the NIL? Its not the University of Connecticut. Its the boosters. Don't blame the university. I'm sure Benedict would love to embrace his southern roots and want for the football team to succeed to get people going and to get the NIL flowing. This is where it is on the "fans". Now, I wish i had 700 million or big advertising budgets to throw on players. I don't. I am a meek research scientist. Either way NIL comes from the fans and so the commitment has to come from the fans and not the university.

If we want to go this way. Who is the first people to quit? It isn't the football players. Its the fans. "We" suck and frankly a lot of this board has been so full of quitter noise and you don't think maybe that doesn't feed back?

Some of us have known for 20+ years that players and families read this stuff here all the time. For the record, hello lovely people :wave: and I appreciate your (families of players) continued restraint in not posting. But that being said, given how fast everybody buries things around here of course people get discouraged.

----

IF we assume most of the team is the same it comes down to leadership and it comes down to off-season conference disappointment. I only say that because I've seen what happens in hockey when the leaders amongst the players or amongst the coaches aren't there... first place becomes 8th real quick (I think of a specific Boston U team from early 2000s). I think last year people lead, not so sure this go around. Hopefully the mentality can turn around because I still don't really believe this team is so much different than last year.

pj

Reaction Score
Who funds the NIL? Its not the University of Connecticut. Its the boosters. Don't blame the university. I'm sure Benedict would love to embrace his southern roots and want for the football team to succeed to get people going and to get the NIL flowing. This is where it is on the "fans". Now, I wish i had 700 million or big advertising budgets to throw on players. I don't. I am a meek research scientist. Either way NIL comes from the fans and so the commitment has to come from the fans and not the university.

If we want to go this way. Who is the first people to quit? It isn't the football players. Its the fans. "We" suck and frankly a lot of this board has been so full of quitter noise and you don't think maybe that doesn't feed back?

Some of us have known for 20+ years that players and families read this stuff here all the time. For the record, hello lovely people :wave: and I appreciate your (families of players) continued restraint in not posting. But that being said, given how fast everybody buries things around here of course people get discouraged.

----

IF we assume most of the team is the same it comes down to leadership and it comes down to off-season conference disappointment. I only say that because I've seen what happens in hockey when the leaders amongst the players or amongst the coaches aren't there... first place becomes 8th real quick (I think of a specific Boston U team from early 2000s). I think last year people lead, not so sure this go around. Hopefully the mentality can turn around because I still don't really believe this team is so much different than last year.

It's precisely because I support the players and coaches that I'd like to see greater commitment from the athletic department, administration, band leadership, boosters, etc.

That said, the players are here 4-5 years at most, and coaches a similar duration. It will take more time than that to build the football program to the level we'd like to see. It has to be a long-term commitment.

Reaction Score
Looking at UConn from the perspective of a southern P4 school, nothing captures UConn more than the fact that it has a woman on their basketball team pulling down million dollar NIL contracts while the football players are getting next to nothing. To them, that pretty much says it all. "Those people are just different."
For what little she has played the last couple of years good for her

Reaction Score
I think both the one good diaco year and last year we overachieved. Won turnover battles, got timely big plays and found ways to squeak out games. But that’s hard to do every year, eventually you need to upgrade the talent. We seem to have missed on a lot of transfers and moras high school recruiting remains to be seen.

That’s why we can’t let this snowball though. This season will be a letdown based on preseason expectations but there’s a huge difference between rallying to win 4 or 5 games and going 2-10. Can’t afford to lose the commits we have now or to hurt ourselves more on the recruiting trail.

Coaching…continuing to pick the wrong oc is a consistent trend. Having more to spend would be helpful but it’s also not impossible to get a guy regardless

Reaction Score
When Mora arrived, his focus was on putting together a staff. Is anyone aware of what it was that drew him to Charlton? There were some amazing OC’s at FCS schools that would have been far better choices.
And heres a name from a past list that was tested for a week here and made a difference:

Best Offensive Coordinators in College Football

Noel Mazzone, UCLA: The Bruins have posted one of the best offenses in the Pac-12 over the past few years.

Mora (and Benedict) need to get rid of Charlton, and bring in Mazzone. Mora could likely convince his friend to come. “It’s existential.“

Reaction Score
Being in the AAC would not help us. We have recruited a bit better since being Indy. Even Edsall, who always made excuses, said Indy was seemingly more attractive to recruits. We have a coaching problem, primarily on offense. If Rhett Lashlee, Noel Mazzone, Rob Ambrose or even John Dunn were our OC, we’d probably be at least 2-2. We’ve got to make a dramatic change at OC. There’s guys out there that can do the job that we can get. Ambrose for sure, and there’s many others. I’d love to get Mazzone back.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
No structure without culture. I still think HCJM will get us there*.

*need one of us to win Powerball or come upon some serious scratch.....

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
I think those are all fair points. However all things being equal, I think Mora in the AAC has a better shot at improving the program than Mora as an independent.
Yeah, I don't see it.

IMG_0284.jpeg

IMG_0285.jpeg

I mean, not that we can really up our nose anyone right now, but it's hard to see how being a part of this group enhances our perception.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Can we go a day without some version of a "Should we shut down the program" thread? And we may need to start a new board for those that think the AAC would be the best home for UConn athletics. That level of stupid may be contagious.

I haven't gone through the math, but this may be one of the better seasons for G5 wins over P5 teams. Somehow some of these other schools have figured out a way to bring in transfers and compete. Mora blew it in the offseason, and blew it in training camp, that much is clear. It isn't much more complicated than that.

CL82

Reaction Score
You need the table from 2 or 3 years ago. That's when the germane data were being generated. Right?
Not really. When people say we'd be better off in the American, that's what they're talking about, whether they realize it or not.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You need the table from 2 or 3 years ago. That's when the germane data were being generated. Right?

I am done trying to convince people that the NIL and Transfer Portal is spreading talent around rather than concentrating it. You think juniors and seniors want to transfer from a place where they are starting to a place where they won't see the field. I am not going to argue with that logic.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I am done trying to convince people that the NIL and Transfer Portal is spreading talent around rather than concentrating it. You think juniors and seniors want to transfer from a place where they are starting to a place where they won't see the field. I am not going to argue with that logic.
This might be the one thing I agree with you on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom