Is UConn dying? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Is UConn dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The reality is no one would care about the deficit if we were winning. But we're not, so it's front and center.
The Jordan Bulls 2.0 broke up over money. Winning doesn’t cure all.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why would they listen to the that?

They have a new linear cable network. People watch UConn basketball on TV?

Hell UConn could tell them they will play some home games at MSG and lots of ACC schools get access.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why would they listen to the that? What's changed for them from last time to this time vis a vis schools like BCU? What's the impetus for the football schools to go for this?

They aren’t bringing a football team.

Reaction Score
How do you call the ACC and ask if we dropped our football program would you be interested in us joining in all other sports?

Pick up phone. Dial phone. Ask for Swof. Start talking.

I don't think the votes would be there...Notre Dame brought needed football match ups and was an exception...

The ACC, if like today, probably is not looking to shore up basketball in March.

Presently, the pressure is off...unlike when it was a race to make the P5.

The ACC has won 3 of the last 6 football NC's and the ACC won the 2015 and 2017 basketball N.C....and have a shot to win the BB national Championship this year..and thus have the football NC and basketball NC in the same school year, to add to NC's in women's basketball and softball...that would be a very good year

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think the votes would be there...Notre Dame brought needed football match ups and was an exception...

The ACC, if like today, probably is not looking to shore up basketball in March.

Presently, the pressure is off...unlike when it was a race to make the P5.

The ACC has won 3 of the last 6 football NC's and the ACC won the 2015 and 2017 basketball N.C....and have a shot to win the BB national Championship this year..and thus have the football NC and basketball NC in the same school year, as well as NC's in women's basketball and softball...that would be a very good year.

Thanks. I know who is good. I also know how cable TV works and the ACC is starting a new linear network when the rest of the world is trying to get off linear cable.

Reaction Score
OK...the BTN and SECN are doomed...as well.

But...ESPN is a leader in streaming...and the ACCN is marketed through sling, roku, playstation, etc.

Streaming is just another way to receive content...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've never liked the way UConn reports athletic department revenues and expenses. Remember, there are athletic department expenses that are not "sport" costs and royalties, licensing, advertising, and sponsorships are not allocated to specific teams, even though those revenues are really associated with football and basketball.

If you include royalties, licensing, advertising, and sponsorships as part of football, men's basketball, and women's basketball revenues (which I think is fair), the total deficit for those programs becomes $1.7 million.

The rest of UConn's sports lost a combined $22.3 million, but this is up ~$5.6 million from 2014. Here are the 2014 losses by sport: Track and field lost $2.7 million, Baseball lost $1.1 million, Field Hockey lost $1.3 million, Men's and Women's Hockey lost $2.6 million, Women's lacrosse lost $1 million, Women's rowing lost $800k, Men's soccer lost $1.6 million, Women's soccer lost $1.2 million, Softball lost $1 million, Swimming and Diving lost $1.6 million, Tennis lost $600k, Volleyball lost $1 million, and Golf lost $200k.

Also, UConn spent slightly more than $60 million in 2013, yet was spending $80 million by 2017. Why the massive increase? It is not football (loss up $900k since 2014) or travel as those expenditures have been relatively stable. We spent $6.9 million on travel in 2014 and $7.3 million in 2018.

There are plenty of opportunities for improved revenues.

If you go back and look at the numbers, in 2014, when UConn was in the AAC, football generated $5.2 million in ticket sales vs. $3.3 million in 2017 and $2.4 million in 2018. Clearly, losing has had a dramatic impact on football ticket sales, so there is an opportunity for improvement.

Same with men's basketball. Attendance was at a 30 year low last year. Again, losing impacts ticket sales. In addition, AAC men's basketball has not done well in the NCAA tournament which negatively impactsunits/payouts. I think AAC basketball is improving, so units should improve leading to higher revenues, but that will take time. Honestly, Memphis and UConn need to pull their weight here.

Reaction Score
If you they bleed money in perpetuity, then they are not viable. The budget can't support it.

The only solution is 1. get new revenue 2. cut costs. If you can't do #1, then you have to do #2.

Need new revenue other than from a new TV contract which is years away!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But...ESPN is a leader in streaming...and the ACCN is marketed through sling, roku, playstation, etc.

Streaming is just another way to receive content...

Yeah and the ACC Network is LIN E AR as in watch it on your TV through your cable box.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've never liked the way UConn reports athletic department revenues and expenses. Remember, there are athletic department expenses that are not "sport" costs and royalties, licensing, advertising, and sponsorships are not allocated to specific teams, even though those revenues are really associated with football and basketball.

If you include royalties, licensing, advertising, and sponsorships as part of football, men's basketball, and women's basketball revenues (which I think is fair), the total deficit for those programs becomes $1.7 million.

The rest of UConn's sports lost a combined $22.3 million, but this is up ~$5.6 million from 2014. Here are the 2014 losses by sport: Track and field lost $2.7 million, Baseball lost $1.1 million, Field Hockey lost $1.3 million, Men's and Women's Hockey lost $2.6 million, Women's lacrosse lost $1 million, Women's rowing lost $800k, Men's soccer lost $1.6 million, Women's soccer lost $1.2 million, Softball lost $1 million, Swimming and Diving lost $1.6 million, Tennis lost $600k, Volleyball lost $1 million, and Golf lost $200k.

Also, UConn spent slightly more than $60 million in 2013, yet was spending $80 million by 2017. Why the massive increase? It is not football (loss up $900k since 2014) or travel as those expenditures have been relatively stable. We spent $6.9 million on travel in 2014 and $7.3 million in 2018.

If you go back and look at the numbers, in 2014, when UConn was in the AAC, football generated $5.2 million in ticket sales vs. $3.3 million in 2017 and $2.4 million in 2018. Clearly, losing has had a dramatic impact on football ticket sales, so there is an opportunity for improvement.

Same with men's basketball. Attendance was at a 30 year low last year. Again, losing impacts ticket sales. In addition, AAC men's basketball has not done well in the NCAA tournament which negatively impactsunits/payouts. I think AAC basketball is improving, so units should improve leading to higher revenues, but that will take time. Honestly, Memphis and UConn need to pull their weight here.

I wouldn’t say they lose that much, that is what they cost.

Reaction Score
Yeah and the ACC Network is LIN E AR as in watch it on your TV through your cable box.

THE Big Ten Network and SECN are doomed as well?

You can watch the ACCN roll out through wi fi...

ESPN has agreements with Hulu, PlayStation Vue, DirecTV Now, Sling TV, and YouTube TV to carry its programming already.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
THE Big Ten Network and SECN are doomed as well?

You will watch the ACCN roll out through wi fi...

ESPN has agreements with Hulu, PlayStation Vue, DirecTV Now, Sling TV, and YouTube TV to carry its programming already.

Who said they were dead? I’m talking about making them more attractive with basketball programs that people watch.

Why in the hell are you here? Are you providing a service?

Reaction Score

You can spin it however you want to. UCONN athletics is losing 41 million dollars a year. If UCONN got a television rights contract tomorrow that would pay them 40 million dollars a year on top of what they are making now, they would still be losing money. There are not plenty of opportunities to to improve revenue to make up 41 million dollars.

Reaction Score
Who said they were dead? I’m talking about making them more attractive with basketball programs that people watch.

Why in the hell are you here? Are you providing a service?

Providing info...some you seem to miss. My view is different because my vantage point is different.

I just commented that the ACC was less vulnerable today than it was...and that Notre Dame and their five games in football brought something different to the conference than UConn's basketball...it was perceived, at the time, as plugging a hole and needed for a signed gor.

And you get your undies wadded up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Providing info...some you seem to miss. My view is different because my vantage point is different.

I just commented that the ACC was less vulnerable today than it was...and that Notre Dame and their five games in football brought something different to the conference than UConn's basketball...it was perceived, at the time, as plugging a hole.

And you get your ubdies wadded up.

The ACC has good basketball teams. Thanks. Without your perspective I probably wouldn’t have noticed. Sure I had season tickets for basketball and football for NC State and have been to 75% of the arenas and stadiums - but thank you for helping me see the light.

Reaction Score

Someone also needs to ask how the University and the Trustees can, under any scenario of fiscal responsibility, greenlight a very costly baseball/softball/soccer renovation given the current state of affairs. It’s criminal.

Reaction Score
How do you call the ACC and ask if we dropped our football program would you be interested in us joining in all other sports?

Responded to this comment...

Not happening IMHO...that's all...and I suspect that you, if you know all that, also know this.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Responded to this comment...

Not happening IMHO...that's all...and I suspect that you, if you know all that, also know this.

I didn’t say it would work. I said that it should be something UConn pursues.

Hey-Soos

Reaction Score
UConn athletic department in 2018: generated $40 million in revenue, $81 million in expenses - Hartford Courant

Negative $41 million in revenue, $8.7 million of which is football (shocker) and $5 million of which is Men’s basketball. Also saw that $7.3 million went to team travel. Where are the guys that say we don’t want the big east? Maybe they can get the bill on this one.

I seriously question those numbers. How are scholarships treated? They are a loss on the books but in reality they are not monies paid out. You could also count every minute that UConn is on TV as earned media. That's how corporations measure it. I am sure UConn doesn't have earned media in the revenue column. And my guess is that there are a ton of other things that are buried or hidden or put in other columns.

Reaction Score
Let's get real here. If we joined the big east tomorrow, we would (a.) eliminate football which runs a 9 million dollar loss (b.) allow us to cut non-revenue generating sports that are being propped up by title 9 requirements caused by football (c.) allow all sports teams to lower their travel costs considerably by taking a bus (and a very nice bus at that) to their opponents of whom 50% are now a 2 hour drive away from (d.) increase attendance in all sports by renewing rivalries that people actually care about and actually having fans from other teams pay money to watch sports; if I'm a parent of a kid on the soccer team at st.johns I probably make the trip to UConn to watch the game, if I'm the parent of a kid from Tulsa no way in hell (e.) increase national exposure by having our primary sports program in a league that isn't pure crap.

At this point, if you aren't for the move to the big east, you just don't get it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Every minute is worth $7 - UConn makes eventy billion dollars on sports.

Problem solved.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why do they even charge tuition? Seems giving everyone a scholarship would be free. No payout.

Reaction Score
How would it be a PR nightmare to eliminate sports that no one watches or attends as fans if it is done in compliance with Title IX rules? The fact that we don't report revenues per sport as mentioned by UCONN Jim skews the hysteria toward football when all expenses are put in one line item. The fact that we pay to play at The Rent as well as for all XL basketball and hockey games is a disadvantage that most P-5 programs don't have to deal with. With the way things are going in men's hockey that would be a place to save a good amount of money considering the new campus arena expenses, the XL rent and the attendance levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom