Is UConn dying? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Is UConn dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There was a topic on r/cfb days ago on which school suffered the most during realignment. Of course we were mentioned near the top. Someone suggested in full sincerity that the ACC should take us for basketball only. Women's basketball, that is.

Reaction Score
The Athletic Department is key to the overall growth of the University so as bad as the numbers look there is still time to turn it around. We aren't dead but for the Athletic Department to turn it around we would need the current staff (RE, DH, DB) to all be good to great hires by the time 2022ish rolls around. I'm not sure we'll have another chance with new hires to get back to national prominence. Let's hope we got the right guys

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Just seeing this. Yikes, someone pass Benedict a defibrillator. Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue and start posting on the Boneyard.

Highly recommend you do both man. They go hand in hand. The latter might force the former on you anyway.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Salma is 52, Penelope is 44. He may have a better chance at that threesome within 5 years than UConn does at a P5 invite.

Well then, let's cancel sports now. Waste of money. I mean, if you're willing to go back to the Yankee conference days (which is more where the BE is headed in the long run), then go for it. But it won't be a boon to the university. Only the strong (and rich) survive in today's world. Even more the case with where the economy is headed in the longer term.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
People who think the Big East is going to die off are 100% wrong. In fact I bet they get more money from Fox Sports in the next deal because they need content.

Nah. FS doesn't have to compete with anyone else. Why would they get more money? That's not how it works. They can let the BE go ask SNY for more money. Ain't gonna happen. The conference is just not a big draw in the grand scheme of things. It's also gonna highly depend on how the economy is rolling at the time the next contract is up.

The rich always get richer and the poor get poorer. The rich are the P5. They'll always have the publicity. They'll always have the resources. Heck, the BE is never gonna be able to pay players the way the P5 will (eventually do).

Reaction Score
This is from Fiscal Year 16-17, so I assume is still relatively accurate. How we're on the hook for 21 men's basketball players I have no idea...

1547763422500.png

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There was a topic on r/cfb days ago on which school suffered the most during realignment. Of course we were mentioned near the top. Someone suggested in full sincerity that the ACC should take us for basketball only. Women's basketball, that is.

That’s the real play. If you drop football you can angle the ACC to be #16.

If they haven’t had that conversation they are lawst.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That’s the real play. If you drop football you can angle the ACC to be #16.

If they haven’t had that conversation they are lawst.

How?

Reaction Score
Nah. FS doesn't have to compete with anyone else. Why would they get more money? That's not how it works. They can let the BE go ask SNY for more money. Ain't gonna happen. The conference is just not a big draw in the grand scheme of things. It's also gonna highly depend on how the economy is rolling at the time the next contract is up.

The rich always get richer and the poor get poorer. The rich are the P5. They'll always have the publicity. They'll always have the resources. Heck, the BE is never gonna be able to pay players the way the P5 will (eventually do).
Exactly. They need content I agree. But if there isn't another competitor, why would they pay more money?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The reality is no one would care about the deficit if we were winning. But we're not, so it's front and center.
Um, at $41M, I'm not confident of that at all.

Reaction Score

They aren't going to get a huge lift but I bet there is competition from a streaming company. DAZN just paid 365 million to Canelo for 5 years. More people want to get involved in the live sports mix.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The biggest individual team culprit of the UConn athletic department’s 2018 deficit was the school’s football program, which lost $8.7 million. Additionally, men’s basketball lost about $5 million, women’s basketball lost about $3.1 million and the rest of the school’s sports lost about $22.3 million among them.

Ouch.

Reaction Score
They aren't going to get a huge lift but I bet there is competition from a streaming company. DAZN just paid 365 million to Canelo for 5 years. More people want to get involved in the live sports mix.

Skipper has always had a hard on for live sports. He’s not wrong but he’s prone to overpay for things - he proved that at ESPN.

Reaction Score
Cutting multiple non-revenue sports in favor of keeping the football program which loses more money than all of them combined would be a PR nightmare for the university.
Lighting $41 mil a year of student/taxpayer money on fire is a PR nightmare for the university

Reaction Score
Why would the ACC add UConn now? They have us staggered and just about ready to go down for the count. They can essentially put UConn athletics out of business, which would be good news for BC and Syracuse. The smart business move would be to knock UConn out and eliminate the competition.

Reaction Score
Louisville to the ACC over us continues to be the darkest thing to ever happen to this university. Brutal. It hurts me to watch ACC games now. We should be there.
You should be. But the football schools were calling the shots and they absolutely had to make sure Virginia/UNC/Duke knew it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How do you call the ACC and ask if we dropped our football program would you be interested in us joining in all other sports?

Pick up phone. Dial phone. Ask for Swof. Start talking.

Why would they listen to the that? What's changed for them from last time to this time vis a vis schools like BCU? What's the impetus for the football schools to go for this?

Reaction Score

DAZN has a lot of freaking money and they need content. I had a free trial of DAZN in October. I cancelled because besides boxing there was only cricket basically but soon they will be bidding on all of these contracts. They want to be the king of sports content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom