is there a big gap between this years top 5 and the rest of the country? | The Boneyard

is there a big gap between this years top 5 and the rest of the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Kentucky, Wisconsin, Arizona, Duke, Louisville... Not saying there will good teams come February or they might lose a game or two, but with the way these teams have been playing would you say there's a big gap between them and the majority of the country? I also thing either one of these top 5 teams can beat Kentucky

Reaction Score
I've really only seen Kentucky when they made kansas quit.
they look like a machine unfortunately

Reaction Score
Too early to tell, IMO. Wisconsin and Arizona are both great teams, but neither has been dominant so far. Arizona, in particular, I'm not yet sold on. They have surpluses of size up front, but they don't really have anybody they can consistently turn to for a bucket late in games. In this sport, you really need a guard who can score. I'm not sure they have that.

Kentucky and Louisville have both been incredible defensively, but neither of them have shown me enough on the other end for me to call them dominant quite yet.

I still don't think we know how good Duke is defensively. They surrendered a lot of easy baskets to a pedestrian Michigan State offense. I think we'll learn a lot about Duke when they play us on the 18th.

Don't discount UNC or Villanova. Gonzaga looks good, too, but we all know their track record - they'll have to prove that they can get out of their own way in March before we take them too seriously.

Reaction Score
WeAreUCONN said:
I've really only seen Kentucky when they made kansas quit. they look like a machine unfortunately

Their depth has made a difference in pulling away late, but Buffalo and Providence have shut them down for long stretches and been in it. Someone just needs to play like that and not let UK throw a quick 12-0 punch (and you can't have your PG wilt mentally like Dunn did for PC - felt bad for the kid, but he'll have better days).

Reaction Score
Watching Louisville tonight, they can beat Kentucky. Doesn't mean they will but it's very possible.

Reaction Score
I still don't think we know how good Duke is defensively. They surrendered a lot of easy baskets to a pedestrian Michigan State offense. I think we'll learn a lot about Duke when they play us on the 18th.

I'm a little nervous about what we might learn.

Reaction Score
I'm a little nervous about what we might learn.

I'm (maybe unjustifiably) confident that we'll show well in that game. Not that Duke will overlook us, or anything, but it's the biggest game of the season for us and I think we can cause some problems with our quickness. Save for a couple games with Louisville and Ollie's had his team well-prepared for every big time game since he came here. IDK if we'll win but I see it being one of those games for us where we empty the barrel - won't hurt that Ollie has some dead time over the next couple weeks to prepare.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm (maybe unjustifiably) confident that we'll show well in that game. Not that Duke will overlook us, or anything, but it's the biggest game of the season for us and I think we can cause some problems with our quickness. Save for a couple games with Louisville and Ollie's had his team well-prepared for every big time game since he came here. IDK if we'll win but I see it being one of those games for us where we empty the barrel - won't hurt that Ollie has some dead time over the next couple weeks to prepare.
we would've beaten texas imo if we had a healthy team... duke will be a very very tough game... i can see us coming out composed and battling hard get getting a win or i can see everyone, except boat and one/two other players, being very scared and timid and the game getting away... first though we need to win every game up until then

Reaction Score

I don't necessarily disagree depending on what shape Boatright and Purvis are in, but I have a hard time imagining them keeping pace with Duke offensively for 40 minutes. I could see them hanging close for about 30 but Duke's got a lot of weapons to account for.

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily disagree depending on what shape Boatright and Purvis are in, but I have a hard time imagining them keeping pace with Duke offensively for 40 minutes. I could see them hanging close for about 30 but Duke's got a lot of weapons to account for.

For sure, and I think bench play is the area where they have a decided edge. It's much different bringing a Quinn Cook or Rasheed Soulaimon off the bench than having to hope that Cassell Jr. and Samuel don't self-combust - if Omar Calhoun can return to something similar to what he was in 2013 it would be an enormous boost.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Most who post here regularly have forgotten more about college hoops than I'll ever know but I'll believe in the Squid's methods when he dominates Championships as much as he does recruiting.

1396931257000-2014-04-07-UConn-Kentucky53.jpg

ncaa-kentucky-uconn-final-basketball.jpg

Reaction Score
we would've beaten texas imo if we had a healthy team... duke will be a very very tough game... i can see us coming out composed and battling hard get getting a win or i can see everyone, except boat and one/two other players, being very scared and timid and the game getting away... first though we need to win every game up until then

I absolutely think we would have beaten Texas with Purvis and/or Calhoun, but then again, they were down possibly their best player. You're right...if they play like they do down the stretch against Texas, it will be a rout.

Reaction Score
kentucky-national-champs.jpg

Most who post here regularly have forgotten more about college hoops than I'll ever know but I'll believe in the Squid's methods when he dominates Championships as much as he does recruiting.

Reaction Score
Not sure what point you could possibly be making about Calipari (who's gone to three final fours in four years and has the #1 ranked team in the country) but I'll let you have the last word. You're right, he's underperforming.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Not sure what point you could possibly be making about Calipari (who's gone to three final fours in four years and has the #1 ranked team in the country) but I'll let you have the last word. You're right, he's underperforming.

Not looking for a war I can't win, Big Ern. Thought you were a UCONN fan and someone who would appreciate winning more than coming in second. As my first post stated, I'll buy in when he wins as many rings as he does recruiting battles.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think there's a gap between #1 and the rest of the country.

I haven't seen anything from the rest that leads me to believe they're anything other than in the scrum with everyone else.

Reaction Score
Not looking for a war I can't win, Big Ern. Thought you were a UCONN fan and someone who would appreciate winning more than coming in second. As my first post stated, I'll buy in when he wins as many rings as he does recruiting battles.

Winning as many rings as recruiting battles doesn't even make sense as an idea.

You can be a UConn fan and also not be completely delusional about Kentucky. Well, you can't, but one can. He's been to three final fours in four years and has a ring. He has the consensus #1 team in the country. It's just silly to keep pumping this nonsense that all he does is recruit, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Winning as many rings as recruiting battles doesn't even make sense as an idea.

You can be a UConn fan and also not be completely delusional about Kentucky. Well, you can't, but one can. He's been to three final fours in four years and has a ring. He has the consensus #1 team in the country. It's just silly to keep pumping this nonsense that all he does is recruit, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Ern, I thought I clarified that I'm not qualified to post on the hoops board with most of you, just giving my uneducated opinion and supporting our troops. Much love my friend and hope there are no hard feelings as I enjoy reading your posts.

Don't be surprised if I italicize you when you post on the Football board though! :)

Reaction Score
Answer to OT - Yes, absolutely!
but does it really matter? in a seven game series, it does. but it has been proven repeatedly in a single elimination tournament, especially with great defense, anything can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom