is there a big gap between this years top 5 and the rest of the country? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

is there a big gap between this years top 5 and the rest of the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
but does it really matter? in a seven game series, it does. but it has been proven repeatedly in a single elimination tournament, especially with great defense, anything can happen.

Agree. But there is a huge gap.

We will grow I believe but not sure about the parts yet, but that's why they play 30 games.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Way too early. Basketball is different than other sports in that one player can tilt the balance.
Last year Bazz was the difference maker.
We don't know yet who might step up be that player if he is out there.
Okafor seems the obvious choice. But college ball is about the guards.
Too bad for AAC that that kid went to China. Brown might have pulled off a title run.
Plus players emerge over the course of a season.
Remember that Kentucky players, do to its surplus, may not be in fourth quarter intense game shape. Can Calipari shorten the rotation effectively come NCAA time?
Years back Kentucky had this great big in depth team that was supposed to wear out a thin UCLA
team. Never happened. UCLA didn't get tired. Can't remember but I think it might have been Sidney Wicks' team but I not sure.

Reaction Score
Having seen each of those teams at least once, I still like Duke's roster the best. I think that Kentucky has the best collection of players, but I think that Duke's players complement each other better. There's nothing missing on that squad. This isn't a team chemistry or coaching thing; I just think that Kentucky's roster, loaded as it is, has a lot of redundant parts. Those players aren't going to provide a ton of value when they've gone to an eight-man rotation, and if he insists on playing two teams all season, he's going to hurt himself late in games.

Reaction Score
Agree. But there is a huge gap.

We will grow I believe but not sure about the parts yet, but that's why they play 30 games.

I agree. Our gap was 'instantly' created when we lost 5 'very' important players including the best PG in the land. For fans to think that we closed that gap in December with essentially one player (DHam) is crazy. Sure we are waiting on Purvis but until its DHam. We did not reload (2 for 5), or whatever you call it.

This season will be a struggle, test with lots of close games. The reality is that we are in transition, and will only win games by fighting, clawing and scratching. I do not see us dominating teams with the capability of the top 5. We just don't have the weapons or experience (we have a sophomore as a Captain).

Lastly as national champs we have a huge target on our backs and many teams to knock us down a notch will make their season. So they will be coming at us as we try to figure things out. I just think we are vulnerable right now and I hope we get some victories to gain confidence.

Reaction Score
Kentucky's depth has certainly been impressive. Crashing the boards with such reckless abandon has led to many second opportunities and second chance points. Their defense is essentially a wall of arms on pogo sticks once you get below the top of the key. To beat them a team is going to need a composed guard lineup that can bang some triples, coupled with a defense that can hold their own on the boards. That combination is out there somewhere, will they see it? I don't know. What I do know is that when it comes down to them absolutely needing a bucket, they have some capable guys but no one thats a surefire scorer. Booker has been great so far, but he's only a freshman. The Harrison's would be your next option, but we saw what fine perimeter defense can do to them. They'll be a tough puzzle to figure out, but I'm sure hoping somebody does.

A completely healthy Texas is going to be a tough team to beat.

Louisville's defense has been ridiculous, but Rozier and Jones don't do much for me and I feel like Harrell can be neutralized.

Duke has looked pretty good, and deep, but they are young. We've seen time and again these freshmen focused teams can and do falter.

I like last year's Zona team a lot better than this version, but I admittedly haven't seen too much of them.

Oh, and Wisconsin is the type of veteran, all around team that I like to go far in the tourney. Last year might have been the break through they needed.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
no bigger than the perceived difference was last year, or the year before, or the year before the year before

there's always tons of hype, followed by excuses as to why they were wrong yet again, followed by the doubling down on hype (lather, rinse, repeat)

although I must concede one thing, I'm not sure what they can say next year after the hyped teams have been elevated to the status of "the best ever" before playing a minute of basketball. Maybe the best the solar system has ever seen? then the galaxy? but where do they go after the universe? maybe heaven? or a parallel universe?

one thing is certain, the quest for perfection was already used and they need to start becoming more creative so has to distinguish one season's hype for another season's hype. It's a hard job, bulls#$%^@g all the time

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not sure what point you could possibly be making about Calipari (who's gone to three final fours in four years and has the #1 ranked team in the country) but I'll let you have the last word. You're right, he's underperforming.

The recent final fours would go the same way as his past final fours if the NCAA hadn't stopped enforcement against P5 schools. Saying Calipari is a great coach is like saying Lance Armstrong is a great cyclist.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think there's a gap between #1 and the rest of the country.

I haven't seen anything from the rest that leads me to believe they're anything other than in the scrum with everyone else.

I agree with you. Kentucky is really good. Arizona is on track to another 30 win season and exit in the second weekend of the tournament. Wisconsin is very, very good but is at its ceiling. There is no next gear with that team. I am not sold on Duke, but we will find out a lot more tonight. Louisville could beat anyone, but they aren't as good as Kentucky. Texas is still coached by Rick Barnes, although they will be really good once they get their point guard back. I think there is a meaningful drop off after that to the rest of the crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom