Is the BYU/UConn game sold out? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is the BYU/UConn game sold out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It just teaches people to wait for the slashing. Just because everyone does it that doesn't make it smart.

It teaches people that don't really give a crap about where they sit or if they go at all to wait for the slashing. And those people probably were last minute shoppers anyway. The kind of people that wouldn't pay 6 months in advance for tickets to anything.

There are always going to be the "let me walk around the parking lot and find $5 tickets or I'll go home" guys. And there are guys that pay for the luxury boxes or for the front row chairbacks, when in reality there isn't much value there. The only time you get completely rational behavior for pricing is when you have more demand than the venue holds. And we don't. At any rational price.

I just think this is a non-problem. Certainly not something to dream about. Or if it is a problem, it is a secondary problem caused by demand, not a problem that pricing in and of itself can fix.

Reaction Score
Further - if price were that much of an issue, then why are the bench seats without donations not sold out? Shouldn't those sell out before the ones that require donations? The donations nearly double the price? They don't, because people don't want to sit there. And people care where they sit.

So if the price drops f0r some top of the rent seat that I don't want to sit in? Who gives a *^%&?

Reaction Score
One thing I have noticed
that the same people arrive late and start cooking while we are walking into the stadium.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It teaches people that don't really give a crap about where they sit or if they go at all to wait for the slashing.

People that don't care "if they go at all" are not the type of people waiting for slashing, by the very definition. Clearly they care, and they are waiting for the right price point. But oh, I forgot, you told me in an earlier post that it's NOT about the price, so... :confused:

Reaction Score
I hear this from multiple posters, and the thing that bothers me the most about it is that it's wrong. I mean, it's just straight up wrong. What UConn (and other institutions / sports teams / etc.) are doing is maximizing profits. That's fine. What other people are arguing is that UConn could maximize attendance instead of profits. And that can be done most simply by dropping the price to the point of sellouts every game, which can absolutely be done in CT.

Now we can have a discussion about whether UConn should try to maximize profits, maximize attendance, or find a happy medium between the two. But if you truly believe that we have maximized both criteria with a magical pricing strategy, then I have some land to sell you in the everglades...

One of the basic business "truisms:" A preemptive product notwithstanding, things required for tactical support of an "Increase Market Share" strategy are, in the short term, incompatible with "Increased Profitability." Based on what can be seen and perceived from the (way) outside, and given the long-term goals, UCONN might be better served sacrificing short-term profit on the market share alter. That may be what has already been decided.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
One of the basic business "truisms:" A preemptive product notwithstanding, things required for tactical support of an "Increase Market Share" strategy are, in the short term, incompatible with "Increased Profitability." Based on what can be seen and perceived from the (way) outside, and given the long-term goals, UCONN might be better served sacrificing short-term profit on the market share alter. That may be what has already been decided.

I've argued this for quite some time, to no avail. What I will add to your comment is that I believe UConn still has a long way to go in terms of price point if it wishes to maximize market share. Lower the prices, get the next generation (and this generation) of fans into the building, and allow yourself to properly recover from all of the daggone conference realignment / Pasqualoni crap that we've been through. Rebuild, and then maximize later...

Reaction Score
People that don't care "if they go at all" are not the type of people waiting for slashing, by the very definition. Clearly they care, and they are waiting for the right price point. But oh, I forgot, you told me in an earlier post that it's NOT about the price, so... :confused:

I don't really think there are very many people waiting for slashing. I think that is a straw man. I do think there are marginal fans (or non-fans) that say "if I really want to go I can get cheap tickets either from StubHub/the school/friends for dirt cheap anyway so why buy ahead of time?" But you can't plan your pricing strategies around those people because they won't go if the wind blows the wrong way.

Reaction Score
I've argued this for quite some time, to no avail. What I will add to your comment is that I believe UConn still has a long way to go in terms of price point if it wishes to maximize market share. Lower the prices, get the next generation (and this generation) of fans into the building, and allow yourself to properly recover from all of the daggone conference realignment / Pasqualoni crap that we've been through. Rebuild, and then maximize later...

This is where you and I disagree. You believe there is a price point that maximizes attendance. I don't. I do think there is a price point that maximizes tickets sold. But I think at that price the opportunity cost for skipping a game becomes meaningless - like "I only paid $5 for the ticket so I don't care if I use it or not" so that you end up with lots of empty seats anyway. At the other absurd end, nobody is going to pay $2500 for a superbowl ticket and then not go to the game.

Reaction Score
It teaches people that don't really give a crap about where they sit or if they go at all to wait for the slashing. And those people probably were last minute shoppers anyway. The kind of people that wouldn't pay 6 months in advance for tickets to anything.

Wait a minute, this promo is only available to UConn donors or season ticket holders, not for the average Joe Shmoe looking for cheap seats. It's an incentive to buy your regular priced season ticket.

Reaction Score
So we offered to buy tickets for people that complained price was an issue, with the caveat that they had to use the tickets. We had 2 takers. 2.

So we have all sorts of people on this board that have argued that price is an issue. We have people here that have offered to buy tickets. And the people who tell us that price is an issue don't happen to know any ACTUAL people that want a free ticket and would commit to going to games if they had one. So you do see why I don't buy that argument?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't really think there are very many people waiting for slashing. I think that is a straw man. I do think there are marginal fans (or non-fans) that say "if I really want to go I can get cheap tickets either from StubHub/the school/friends for dirt cheap anyway so why buy ahead of time?" But you can't plan your pricing strategies around those people because they won't go if the wind blows the wrong way.

Well, just for full disclosure, I am one of your marginal non-fans. I've been operating on 3-game packages for a couple years now (and prior to that, it was by the single game for 2 games a year), because I'm a 1-income family. And I don't bring my family. I normally find a couple of friends willing to split the other ticket and I rotate who I go with.

So now do you understand where I'm coming from? Do you think of me as a marginal fan? I'm not the only one out there...

Reaction Score
Wait a minute, this promo is only available to UConn donors or season ticket holders, not for the average Joe Shmoe looking for cheap seats. It's an incentive to buy your regular priced season ticket.

That's even a better point. :)

Reaction Score
Well, just for full disclosure, I am one of your marginal non-fans. I've been operating on 3-game packages for a couple years now (and prior to that, it was by the single game for 2 games a year), because I'm a 1-income family. And I don't bring my family. I normally find a couple of friends willing to split the other ticket and I rotate who I go with.

So now do you understand where I'm coming from? Do you think of me as a marginal fan? I'm not the only one out there...

You are not a marginal non-fan. You are a real fan. And I'm not saying there aren't people like you that exist. I think because you are one of them you think there are 20,000 of them. I just don't think that there are. Just like there aren't 10,000 of me out there that can buy 6 tickets knowing that 2 are going to go unused every game and not care.

And BTW - I'd buy your ticket if it got you in the building for every game. That's how I roll. I know you care that much. #riseuptogether

Reaction Score
>>>Thank you for your ongoing support of the UConn Football program as a season ticket holder and/or donor.

We look forward to seeing you next Friday (August 29) at 7:00 p.m. as our Huskies open the 2014 season against BYU at Rentschler Field.

As a token of our appreciation for your loyalty, we want to provide you with an exclusive “Friends and Family” ticket offer. You can purchase additional tickets for just $20 each, a 50% discount off the regular reserved single game price. Invite your relatives, neighbors, and colleagues to experience the excitement of UConn Football for a very special price.

We want to fill “The Rent” as Coach Diaco leads our football program into a new era --- and show the national television audience that UConn Country is stronger than ever. Please encourage others to be part of our team next Friday evening.

CLICK HERE to buy “Friends and Family” tickets now. Enter promo codeFILLTHERENT to access the special discount pricing. (Tickets are limited and will not be located near or around seats you may have as a season ticket holder.)

For more information or to order by phone, please call our Athletic Ticket Office at 877-AT-UCONN (288-2666), Monday-Friday, 9:00 am to 4:30 pm.

Thanks again for your continuing dedication to UConn Athletics and our football program.

Go Huskies!

warde.png

Warde Manuel
Athletic Director<<

Thanks! just grabbed 3 tickets!! #GoHuskies #HuskyUp

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You are not a marginal non-fan. You are a real fan. And I'm not saying there aren't people like you that exist. I think because you are one of them you think there are 20,000 of them. I just don't think that there are. Just like there aren't 10,000 of me out there that can buy 6 tickets knowing that 2 are going to go unused every game and not care.

And BTW - I'd buy your ticket if it got you in the building for every game. That's how I roll. I know you care that much. #riseuptogether

I don't know if there are 20,000 of them, or what the real number is. What I do know is, like I mentioned, I have friends that I rotate to come with me for the second ticket (actually, this year, we expanded to 4 people with 1 ticket rotating). That means that the rotating friends would likely also be season ticket holders at lower price points. The fact that I found them relatively easily, with only 1 of the 4 being an alum, probably means that there are a great many more of them out there.

But again, I have no idea what that number is...

Reaction Score
Back to the original topic, looking at the seats left it seems to be a few hundred if that.

So yes this will be a sell out. Students haven't even arrived on campus yet which is always a big driver of tickets, student and non-student (friends, family etc.).

Reaction Score

None of us will know what does/doesn't work until the most important variable is fixed; when a competitive product is offered to the buying public. The owners of both the Yankees and Mets reduced stadium capacities in the hope of "stimulating demand." Fewer, more expensive seats was the goal. They're finding out that there is little and, sometimes, no demand for product the buying public sees as wanting. When the UCONN football product improves, starting Friday night, arguments about profit/share/demand, etc. will be relevant. You don't convert vegetarians by getting them to try liver

Reaction Score
None of us will know what does/doesn't work until the most important variable is fixed; when a competitive product is offered to the buying public. The owners of both the Yankees and Mets reduced stadium capacities in the hope of "stimulating demand." Fewer, more expensive seats was the goal. They're finding out that there is little and, sometimes, no demand for product the buying public sees as wanting. When the UCONN football product improves, starting Friday night, arguments about profit/share/demand, etc. will be relevant. You don't convert vegetarians by getting them to try liver

Well said.

Reaction Score
I don't know if there are 20,000 of them, or what the real number is. What I do know is, like I mentioned, I have friends that I rotate to come with me for the second ticket (actually, this year, we expanded to 4 people with 1 ticket rotating). That means that the rotating friends would likely also be season ticket holders at lower price points. The fact that I found them relatively easily, with only 1 of the 4 being an alum, probably means that there are a great many more of them out there.

I do think there are a few thousand of them out there (in theory), but people that are financially challenged also have lots of other issues, like:

- game schedules are different days/times - screws up work schedules
- you can go alone, but lots of folks can't - because they have kids, wives that won't let them, etc.
- even if ticket prices are lower, you can't really do anything about concession prices (I mean you could, but they are that high everywhere)
- people who are watching their money generally don't want to shell out money for things that far in advance

Meaning, and again this is just my opinion, that there aren't that many people that would / could / want to commit to a 7 game schedule (at this point in time given the product on the field) if the only variable that changed was price.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I do think there are a few thousand of them out there (in theory), but people that are financially challenged also have lots of other issues, like:

- game schedules are different days/times - screws up work schedules
- you can go alone, but lots of folks can't - because they have kids, wives that won't let them, etc.
- even if ticket prices are lower, you can't really do anything about concession prices (I mean you could, but they are that high everywhere)
- people who are watching their money generally don't want to shell out money for things that far in advance

Meaning, and again this is just my opinion, that there aren't that many people that would / could / want to commit to a 7 game schedule (at this point in time given the product on the field) if the only variable that changed was price.
This is well said. Price is not the only factor for many. Would lowering it possibly get some more people to buy season tix? Maybe? But a lot of your other factors you mentioned are the biggest reasons why people aren't getting tickets for all 7 games and are piece-mealing it instead. It's reality for many, myself included. With a new family, going to 7 games is impossible. Wife and I used to get season tix every year but we have two girls now under 2 and we, at best, get to one to two games a year because having someone watch the kids is tough. When they get older will we get tickets again? Absolutely!

So great explanation JMoney. I think you nailed the reasons more people aren't buying season tickets yet we can still expect sell-outs for many games through single game tickets.

Reaction Score
I'm going to be in the Boston area for a last minute business trip this Friday. I have some meetings but was wondering how early would I have to leave to get to the stadium, get parked, pick up tickets and get seated considering Friday night traffic, Labor Day weekend, etc. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Reaction Score

I'm with JMoney on this. I've brought friends with me. Friends of my son and his father. They've never paid for a ticket or parking. I provide most of the tailgate. You know how many repeat customers I get? You know how people have bought tix to future games? Nada.

People just have other things to do. The diehards make this part of their fall ritual. But with my son now playing football, I'm forced to choose. Which isn't a choice. We just got his schedule this week. He has a game on 9/13 at 3 PM on the shore. I'll likely miss the Boise game. Not thrilled but I'd rather go see my son play. Wished they would move Pop Warner games to Sunday.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
This is all very valid discussion and I hope the U is thinking strategically in balancing income and market share priorities. I hope that their thinking is not overly influenced by the P5/G5 income gap and sustainability. I do not we can absolutely not afford to have a bunch of empty seats in a nationally televised game. It would reinforce too many negative perceptions.

To me though, this discussion is secondary to developing the product on the field and the game day experience. You may have a (small) hard core that loves football and loves UConn but to grow new fans you have to give them something they can invest in emotionally. I don't want to open a discussion on our coaching history but for the last few years being a fan of UConn football has been a painful experience. Who's signing up for that?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I'm going to be in the Boston area for a last minute business trip this Friday. I have some meetings but was wondering how early would I have to leave to get to the stadium, get parked, pick up tickets and get seated considering Friday night traffic, Labor Day weekend, etc. Any thoughts? Thanks.
I'm going to be leaving from Stoughton (just south/west of boston) at around 3-3:30. Normal time for me is 1:45, I expect to get there by 5:30-5:45. If you are in downtown Boston, Quincy or Cambridge, leave at 3. Assuming that you are taking the mass pike straight there, you will usually hit pockets of traffic from Star Market all the way out to the tolls at 84. As long as you're out of the 95/128 loop before 4, you should be fine. In 11 years I've never been late for a weekday night game and that includes a fuel spill/fire on 84E that caused rubbernecking delays westbound (and the road was still shut down on the way home after the game).

Reaction Score
I'm going to be leaving from Stoughton (just south/west of boston) at around 3-3:30. Normal time for me is 1:45, I expect to get there by 5:30-5:45. If you are in downtown Boston, Quincy or Cambridge, leave at 3. Assuming that you are taking the mass pike straight there, you will usually hit pockets of traffic from Star Market all the way out to the tolls at 84. As long as you're out of the 95/128 loop before 4, you should be fine. In 11 years I've never been late for a weekday night game and that includes a fuel spill/fire on 84E that caused rubbernecking delays westbound (and the road was still shut down on the way home after the game).

Thanks. So, roughly two and half hours on a Friday night as long as I leave by 4pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom