Is the BYU/UConn game sold out? | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Is the BYU/UConn game sold out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
All the seats in the Rent are decent seats. I'd loved to have the view and angle provided by the last row in MetLife equivalent location.

I know, the worst sideline seat at the Rent is called a Club seat at Gillette.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Well then what are you saying because the inventory on ticketmaster has had zero impact on sales. It's 31k because it's Labor Day, they have been terrible for three seasons and the American does not interest people.
For the last 2 weeks, Seats available on the UConn Athletic ticketing website have numbered in the 1,200's (and most at a discount to boot). Now it shows upwards of 7,000.

And event ticket inventory does have an affect on sales. They are identical widgets only if they are all general admission. A particular patron is not only looking to get in the building.

Example:

Family is planning a trip and staying at a resort for Labor Day weekend (let's use the Cape).
Choice of time of travel either Friday afternoon (before traffic at the Bourne Bridge) or Saturday Morning (After Traffic).
If all works out well, Casual fan Dad wants to see UConn vs. BYU. (CFD was not always CFD. He used to be Season Ticket Holder Single Guy/Husband, but kids' sports and weekend evens forced him to make a choice.
CFD goes on UConn ticket site or Ticketmaster and sees the only tickets available are either in the corners or too high up for his liking.
CFD and family choose to drive to the Cape on Friday afternoon to extend their vacation.
32 hour prior to game time, UConn announces and makes 7,000 tickets available.
Given cancelation fees, kid moaning and wife b1+ching, CFD is not changing his plans. Besides he can watch the game on ESPN.

My point is, these tickets should have been made available at least a week ago, if not sooner. Period.

Reaction Score
For the last 2 weeks, Seats available on the UConn Athletic ticketing website have numbered in the 1,200's (and most at a discount to boot). Now it shows upwards of 7,000.

And event ticket inventory does have an affect on sales. They are identical widgets only if they are all general admission. A particular patron is not only looking to get in the building.

Example:

Family is planning a trip and staying at a resort for Labor Day weekend (let's use the Cape).
Choice of time of travel either Friday afternoon (before traffic at the Bourne Bridge) or Saturday Morning (After Traffic).
If all works out well, Casual fan Dad wants to see UConn vs. BYU. (CFD was not always CFD. He used to be Season Ticket Holder Single Guy/Husband, but kids' sports and weekend evens forced him to make a choice.
CFD goes on UConn ticket site or Ticketmaster and sees the only tickets available are either in the corners or too high up for his liking.
CFD and family choose to drive to the Cape on Friday afternoon to extend their vacation.
32 hour prior to game time, UConn announces and makes 7,000 tickets available.
Given cancelation fees, kid moaning and wife b1+ching, CFD is not changing his plans. Besides he can watch the game on ESPN.

My point is, these tickets should have been made available at least a week ago, if not sooner. Period.

You guys are really reaching on this.

Husky25

Reaction Score
There really isnt a bad seat in the house. If the casual fan is not willing to spend $20 on decent seat why would they spend $80 for a great seat. Someone who really wanted to spend $80 on a seat would call the ticket office or go to the secondary market.

That's patently false. With all of the commerce done on-line, inventories need to match up. It doesn't matter what amount of money someone is willing to spend. They go to the website and see a seat in not available, why would they assume it would be if they call?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
By the way-Sure the mods are ecstatic that HFD is banned
There really isnt a bad seat in the house. If the casual fan is not willing to spend $20 on decent seat why would they spend $80 for a great seat. Someone who really wanted to spend $80 on a seat would call the ticket office or go to the secondary market.

I dont know about calling the ticket office after going to the UConn website and seeing no lowers available - secondary market absolutely!

If I look for BB tix for UConn and none in lower level I wouldnt call ticket master - i would go on stub hub.

Reaction Score
A sellout on opening night, 2014, for what UCONN football is, would be amazing and awesome, but unrealistic. Those of us that have been around, know what a full stadium and an empty stadium look like, and it's just a guess on my part, but until Warde Manuel started managing things, the actual numbers that attend Rentschler, and reported? Well, a reported sellout is a reported sellout, but if you actually read the design plans and what's available out there regarding for Rentschler, there are anywhere in reality between 38,500 seats and 42,000 seats. The capacity officially is 40,000, per some fire code written somewhere or other, but the numbers of seats in the actual bowl? Not including the tower? it's not as high as most people might think it is. My guess is that Warde Manuel has put a policy in place that is going to measure and report exactly what is there. That's the only explanation I can come up with, because we did change (for basketball and football) in reporting policies by my judgement in the past year. So if 31,000 tickets were sold? So be it, it's still a hell of a lot better than the 17k that showed up last December.

It would be interesting to see what the actual gate count is, if it's reported, as compared to the ticket sales.

Based on this info today, and assuming it's accurate, I'm predicting a crowd that will be in the 35-36k range. Those of us that have been around, can eyeball the stadium for a capacity like that, which is approx. 90% 'official' capacity. Truthfully, given what's transpired in the past 3 seasons, if that happens, it's a small victory on the way back to where we were.

Also - if that happens, and I'm anywhere near the truth as to my thought process, the ticket office is actually being accurate in reporting numbers and tracking tickets sold and gate counts, they will have a good idea of how many actual walk ups there were, who is actually using their tickets, and not, and hopefully they will track them somehow, to target them to buy multiple ticket buyers and return buyers in the future.

I'm not sure if that has ever been done before.

I do recall, a question being asked of Warde Manuel about a month ago, at Rentschler for the kickoff dinner, regarding unused seats at Rentschler at the kickoff dinner, and his response seemed to indicate that he took it seriously.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No offense but this topic has driven you insane and you have lost touch with reality.

Husky25

Reaction Score
No offense but this topic has driven you insane and you have lost touch with reality.
Translation:

No offense, but I intend to offend you.

and no I haven't. It's poor execution on the part of the ticket office.

Reaction Score
The Michigan game last year was one of the loudest events I've ever been to and I've been to a lot of live sporting events.

If UCONN is up or close you will be very surprised how loud it gets.
I'm so Excited. They should play this tomorrow night!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99