• No, handshakes will come back when this crisis is over

Votes: 90 68.7%
  • Yes, handshakes will stop being part of the greeting ritual

Votes: 41 31.3%

• Total voters

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
There is no way I am going to stop shaking my mom's hand when I see her. I love her too much.

You're a good boy.
Stay safe.

Screenshot_20200320-080235.png

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Brave of you to bare your soul like that on the internet, it’s rare to see such love and affection these days. You’re an inspiration to us all, Dove.
New Years Eve at midnight is a sight to see.

Reaction Score
Aside from the business handshake, what about the hug, whether a relative, friend, or date.
To me hug is safer than handshake (no skin touching). But no way Mom/Dad and Grandparents are going to forsake a hug with their children. They would hug their child even if they had leprosy.

As a parent I'll be damned if I fist bump my daughters, especially in these times.

The coronavirus norm for parents is 'hug and scrub'. But I'm not touching anyone else other than the Mrs.

As for business, friends and all others I'm studying Japanese:

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have a job interview tomorrow, and not really sure what to do when I introduce myself lol.

We are conducting all interviews via video. Amazing you have one in person.

Reaction Score
This could be the end, and maybe that's a good thing.

Reaction Score
I have a job interview tomorrow, and not really sure what to do when I introduce myself lol.
Bring hand sanitizer with you. Walk in, sanitize your hands while maintaining eye contact with the interviewer, and then extend your arm. Remember, be confident!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Forget handshakes. Anyone have a friend that is a hugger? I absolutely hate it. A friend’s wife is a huge hugger. Coming and going. It’s annoying as hell. They’ll walk into a restaurant late and six of us will be seated and she’ll walk around the table hugging everyone expecting them to stand and hug her or do the lame one person seated while she hugs you routine. And this is after we had been hanging out the day before, not a situation where we haven’t seen each other in a while. She gets pissed at me when I refuse to stand or even acknowledge that she is trying to drape herself across my seated body. And before someone comments that I should stand when a lady arrives to sit, I get it, but it’s not our group dynamic. We all know that. I have discussed my displeasure with her and my buddy and now it’s turned to kind of a joke, like when they are leaving and we are standing around talking and I am obviously trying to avoid the hug goodbye, which I am able to avoid 95% of the time despite being called out for it.

On the other hand, another friend’s wife and I discussed a long time ago how much we both despise the social hug and agreed that we’d just shake when that awkward scene arises. We see them somewhat rarely and our spouses hug when we get together and she and I just look at each other and shake. In certain circumstances we’ll hug but only after acknowledging that it’s probably appropriate like at a funeral or if one family has endured some major event of significance.

In the end, I’d much rather the social hug go away than the hand shake.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm old school or perhaps have been in management way too long but I still will offer a handshake with everyone I meet - if the counteroffer is a fist bump, I will happily comply.
Has NOTHING to do with being a "power show"
Things are absolutely out of whack and when panic sets in ridiculous statements and actions erupt everywhere. I can't bring my own clean cup into a Cumberland Farms to fill with coffee/soft drink but need to use those plastic cups that everyone has pawed over. Yeah that makes sense. More than 10 people can't gather in a restaurant or small store but 100's can grocery shop and stand in lines. Truck drivers can't use rest stops or drive up lanes at the fast food areas.......................

I had some great comic relief on this one, thanks much:

Not surprisingly, a huge number of people are still (and will continue) shaking hands and whatnot, especially those in finance - and politicians. When the markets tank, that’s when deals get done and big time money gets made, collateral damage be damned. It’s going to take a major culture shift here for these suppression tactics to work...hope we can muster up the courage to think about the collective instead of the individual to avoid a worst-case scenario.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
I'm old school or perhaps have been in management way too long but I still will offer a handshake with everyone I meet - if the counteroffer is a fist bump, I will happily comply.
Has NOTHING to do with being a "power show"
Things are absolutely out of whack and when panic sets in ridiculous statements and actions erupt everywhere. I can't bring my own clean cup into a Cumberland Farms to fill with coffee/soft drink but need to use those plastic cups that everyone has pawed over. Yeah that makes sense. More than 10 people can't gather in a restaurant or small store but 100's can grocery shop and stand in lines. Truck drivers can't use rest stops or drive up lanes at the fast food areas.......................

I had some great comic relief on this one, thanks much:

Not surprisingly, a huge number of people are still (and will continue) shaking hands and whatnot, especially those in finance - and politicians. When the markets tank, that’s when deals get done and big time money gets made, collateral damage be damned. It’s going to take a major culture shift here for these suppression tactics to work...hope we can muster up the courage to think about the collective instead of the individual to avoid a worst-case scenario.

You’re very welcome, I appreciate the kind words!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Use body language cues. Lean in a bit and if there is no arm movement sit down. Or just point out the elephant in the room and ask.

It'll be swapped out for Eskimo nose rubbing.
I doubt it. The cost of everyone having their own Eskimo would seem to be prohibitive. I have to think it would annoy them to have people rubbing their noses.

Reaction Score
Will Wade has now agreed to bow instead of shake hands with recruits that accept his strong a** offers

Reaction Score
The handshake will always be an important part of a job interview. Right or wrong?

Reaction Score
You guys underestimate the hipsters in 2030. Handshakes are the norm. In fact artisanal handshakes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom