• No, handshakes will come back when this crisis is over

Votes: 90 68.7%
  • Yes, handshakes will stop being part of the greeting ritual

Votes: 41 31.3%

• Total voters

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
With COVID-19 impacting all of our lives in significant ways, do you think the business handshake will cease to exist?

If it gets really bad and wipes out tons of people, we'll all understand that unnecessary physical contact is probably a bad idea.

If it doesn't get really bad, we'll probably have learned that we can reduce deaths from flu significantly every year by slowing it's spread by not having contact.

Obviously, I'm of the mind that handshakes will stop being a part of our culture going forward.

What do you think?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It’s done. Stick a fork in it. I remember listening to Mike and Mike years ago and there was a a doctor on who swore this was necessary. Years ago.

Reaction Score
June is two months away and the numbers are just starting to rise. Wrong.

the handshake will likely return but it will take a long time

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
Not surprisingly, a huge number of people are still (and will continue) shaking hands and whatnot, especially those in finance - and politicians. When the markets tank, that’s when deals get done and big time money gets made, collateral damage be damned. It’s going to take a major culture shift here for these suppression tactics to work...hope we can muster up the courage to think about the collective instead of the individual to avoid a worst-case scenario.

Reaction Score
I hope so. Never been a fan although I've had to do it in the real estate world. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm a bit of a germaphobe, and I've seen how folks wash their hands. Always carry sanitizer with me for 15-20 years. Another thing that needs to go away is put luck dinners. Nope, again very few people properly wash their hands.

Reaction Score
As long as an alpha dog is in the room, there will be handshakes. It's the ultimate power show. Every single handshake is a measure of "who wins".

Reaction Score
Aside from the business handshake, what about the hug, whether a relative, friend, or date.

Reaction Score
Will have to go with the Elbow bump, or the tapping of toes.

Reaction Score
Forget handshakes. Anyone have a friend that is a hugger? I absolutely hate it. A friend’s wife is a huge hugger. Coming and going. It’s annoying as hell. They’ll walk into a restaurant late and six of us will be seated and she’ll walk around the table hugging everyone expecting them to stand and hug her or do the lame one person seated while she hugs you routine. And this is after we had been hanging out the day before, not a situation where we haven’t seen each other in a while. She gets pissed at me when I refuse to stand or even acknowledge that she is trying to drape herself across my seated body. And before someone comments that I should stand when a lady arrives to sit, I get it, but it’s not our group dynamic. We all know that. I have discussed my displeasure with her and my buddy and now it’s turned to kind of a joke, like when they are leaving and we are standing around talking and I am obviously trying to avoid the hug goodbye, which I am able to avoid 95% of the time despite being called out for it.

On the other hand, another friend’s wife and I discussed a long time ago how much we both despise the social hug and agreed that we’d just shake when that awkward scene arises. We see them somewhat rarely and our spouses hug when we get together and she and I just look at each other and shake. In certain circumstances we’ll hug but only after acknowledging that it’s probably appropriate like at a funeral or if one family has endured some major event of significance.

In the end, I’d much rather the social hug go away than the hand shake.

Last edited:

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
There is no way I am going to stop shaking my mom's hand when I see her. I love her too much.

Brave of you to bare your soul like that on the internet, it’s rare to see such love and affection these days. You’re an inspiration to us all, Dove.

Reaction Score
I have a job interview tomorrow, and not really sure what to do when I introduce myself lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom