Is the AAC even P6? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Is the AAC even P6?

Reaction Score
See Navy

Please go away with this stupid argument. "See Navy", See the door if can't see the difference between UCONN basketball and Navy basketball. Are you on the Navy board asking their basketball team to join your league? If not then you answered your own question as to why the AAC would allow Navy to join with football and not basketball. The AAC didn't want Navy's basketball team but they do want UCONN's basketball team.

Last edited:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
See Navy

I hate to say it, but football is Navy’s strong suit. They are a national name. There are people that will go out of their way to watch Navy even they weren’t in the Navy. UConn football doesn’t have that following. The AAC won’t keep UConn football without the basketball. There is nothing you could say that would change my mind on the matter.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but football is Navy’s strong suit. They are a national name. There are people that will go out of their way to watch Navy even they weren’t in the Navy. UConn football doesn’t have that following. The AAC won’t keep UConn football without the basketball. There is nothing you could say that would change my mind on the matter.
You don't understand. He says all you have to do is ask and negotiate. Be forward thinking. It could happen if Uconn only tried to make it happen. See Navy.

I just saved him the time to post a response.

Reaction Score
Navy was given football only membership by the Big East and that carried over into the AAC after it was formed in what would have been their first season in the Big East. At the time, Navy was the nationally known football program for the AAC. It still is the nationally known program for football. While UCF has had the most success, it struggles for national recognition. If Navy had a 13-0 record, do you think they would have more serious consideration nationwide than UCF for the playoff (remember that would include a win over ND)? That is the difference between USNA and Uconn when it comes to football.

Reaction Score
Not a bad strategy..

I'd rank it right behind throwing a coin in a fountain and making a wish.

Reaction Score
You don't understand. He says all you have to do is ask and negotiate. Be forward thinking. It could happen if Uconn only tried to make it happen. See Navy.

I just saved him the time to post a response.
While all the other AAC schools don't make a move?

Please. Why is this thread still alive?

Reaction Score
If Navy had a 13-0 record, do you think they would have more serious consideration nationwide than UCF for the playoff (remember that would include a win over ND)? That is the difference between USNA and UConn when it comes to football.

Now's a dream scenario. Navy goes undefeated with wins over a strong ND team and solid UCF, Houston, etc. The selection committee would collectively have a heart attack as not inviting Navy would appease the powers that be in the P5 (except ND as the Irish are very loyal to Navy); but, Navy in the playoffs would be a heck of a story line and saying no to a service academy them would result in serious public relations and political fallout.

Reaction Score
We must leave for the Big East, we have no hope. I mean, even after all the drama and football program having a bad run, ACC fans thinks our pros outweigh the cons by far as a future expansion candidate.

Conference Expansion: Analyzing Which Schools Could End Up Joining the ACC?

We really have no hope. :(
With respect to Title XI, football is the killer due to its size in terms of number of scholarships and the fact that there isn't a complementary women's program. When UConn upgraded its football program, both Women's Crew and Women's Law, both of which were club teams at the time, got bumped up to Varsity status. Neither program can go anywhere as long as UConn has a FBS football program.
I would see families / friends who had family members who went to both schools and
And then they put them in the Western division, ensuring they come to the Rent as often as USC.

I believe that was Navy’s doing. They wanted more games in the Midwest and West to showcase their team and get kids interested in the school.

Reaction Score
The AAC is still not a one trick pony.

There is absolutely no chance that the Big East will be relevant in anything but basketball and tiddley winks.

The BIg East is kind of like Brigadoon...it comes alive occasionally in the month of March and then disappers into the mist.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I'd rank it right ahead of wishing for a P5 invite.

Yet You think that the AAC would accept UConn in football only? Because Navy does? That’s fantasy as well.

Just waiting until you make that one mistake and Fishy thoat punches your arse out of here.

Reaction Score
Yet You think that the AAC would accept UConn in football only? Because Navy does?

No, I don't think the AAC would accept UConn for football-only because Navy accepts UConn for football-only. That doesn't really make sense.

I do think that the AAC has a precedent for accepting football-only membership (see Navy).

I also believe that is more likely that UConn could successfully negotiate football-only with the AAC than it is that UConn will be invited to a P5 conference.

I also think UConn's chances of a P5 invite are not diminished, however remote they might be, by AAC football-only membership plus full Big East membership.

dayooper

Reaction Score
No, I don't think the AAC would accept UConn for football-only because Navy accepts UConn for football-only. That doesn't really make sense.

I do think that the AAC has a precedent for accepting football-only membership (see Navy).

I also believe that is more likely that UConn could successfully negotiate football-only with the AAC than it is that UConn will be invited to a P5 conference.

I also think UConn's chances of a P5 invite are not diminished, however remote they might be, by AAC football-only membership plus full Big East membership.

So, by your logic, the AAC would accept any football only school because they set the precedent with Navy.

Yes, I typed the above very quickly and not clearly. I apologize for that. Instead of Navy does, it should be “because Navy is?”

Reaction Score
So, by your logic, the AAC would accept any football only school because they set the precedent with Navy.”

No, I think the negotiation for UConn is possible with or without precedent for a football-only membership, but it is more probable with that Navy precedent.

Reaction Score
We all like to gather wool entertaining fantasy....

Whether it be a fantasy like Texas going to the ACC or the AAC allowing UConn to move their most valuable programs elsewhere but leave football in conference, it's entertaining, but not much else.

Reaction Score
We all like to gather wool entertaining fantasy....

Whether it be a fantasy like Texas going to the ACC or the AAC allowing UConn to move their most valuable programs elsewhere but leave football in conference, it's entertaining, but not much else.

So to is this ACC Network ever becoming more than a money drain. ESPN is doomed here and they know it.

Reaction Score
Since 2012..the mantra for some has been..."the ACC is doomed"..."ESPN is doomed".

Seems like the ACC is doing great....and ESPN is obtaining cable carriage as well as wrapping up over the top digital...with folks like Hulu, Vue, roku, playstation, sling TV, etc under contract.

I surely don't know how long it will take to amortize an investment into a network...but I'll bet some that ESPN had some bright guys working it out.

It won't be as quick as the SEC...but it will be there. And the SEC is throwing off $$$$.

"Based on subscriber number and fee estimates, the SEC Network is generating approximately $545 million off subscriber fees alone -- more than NBC Sports, MLB Network and NBA TV. That doesn't take into account the revenue generated through SEC Network's placement on over-the-top platforms Sling TV, DirecTV Now and the recently launched Hulu Live TV."

dayooper

Reaction Score
No, I think the negotiation for UConn is possible with or without precedent for a football-only membership, but it is more probable with that Navy precedent.

Tell me why would the AAC allow UConn to leave its football, arguably its weakest sport, in the AAC and take its most valuable out. UConn football in NYC would be nonexistent unless they were winning. Can they? Absolutely they can turn it around. Will they? I don’t know and would the AAC be willing to take that chance. Navy football is a national product and their other sports really can’t compete in a the AAC, it made sense. UConn football, without basketball, doesn’t.

Reaction Score
Tell me why would the AAC allow UConn to leave its football, arguably its weakest sport, in the AAC and take its most valuable out. UConn football in NYC would be nonexistent unless they were winning. Can they? Absolutely they can turn it around. Will they?

If UConn decides to join the Big East, then the AAC’s question is “do I want to lose UConn football, and all the claims we have made for it in the NE and NYC market, right before contract negotiations which will be 90% based on football?”

I don’t think “what if UConn sucks forever really plays into it”. The value is baselined with the institution. The Big 10 apparently doesn’t care if Rutgers sucks. But, to address your concern of it being a scenario, the AAC could keep UConn for now (and the negotiations) and could cut them someday if they continue to suck forever (see Temple’s Big East history). UConn likely cycles back before that happens, and with Big East resources supporting the other sports UConn has more of the AAC cash to keep on football.

Just drop football and be done with it.

That’s like throwing away a car with a bad wheel bearing. You have too much into it already to do that.

Reaction Score
If UConn decides to join the Big East, then the AAC’s question is “do I want to lose UConn football, and all the claims we have made for it in the NE and NYC market, right before contract negotiations which will be 90% based on football?”

I don’t think “what if UConn sucks forever really plays into it”. The value is baselined with the institution. The Big 10 apparently doesn’t care if Rutgers sucks. But, to address your concern of it being a scenario, the AAC could keep UConn for now (and the negotiations) and could cut them someday if they continue to suck forever (see Temple’s Big East history). UConn likely cycles back before that happens, and with Big East resources supporting the other sports UConn has more of the AAC cash to keep on football.

That’s like throwing away a car with a bad wheel bearing. You have too much into it already to do that.
No it's like having a car with a blown engine. Much easier to just get rid of it then spend money to rebuild it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom