Is Jana out for the season? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Is Jana out for the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the posts make my point.
As for Amari's effort, that's up to the coaches. She avgs. 4 minutes a game, after the game is already decided ( garbage time). Some people would criticize a player for trying to run up the score if they were maxing out effort then.
I look at numbers:
If you compare Amari's numbers LY where she avg, 8 minutes:
46% Shooting total, 29% 3s, 42% Foul, 11 pts (per 40), 8.5 rebs ( per 40) 18 blocks in 26 games
Ice's Numbers, 13 minutes per game TY
30% Shooting, 17% 3s, 41% foul, 9 points (per 40), 7.5 rebs (per 40) 2 blocks in 14 games

But all the negativity to Amari.
Those people wouldn't include coaches or people that understand BB and competition. That's where a player has the chance to show her coach how hard she's willing to play to get some PT.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
You only get 5 years to do those 4 years of competition which would be fine if she could just play the next 4 seasons with no issues, but she did arrive early last season, so I assume she'll be 1 1/2 years into her 5 year clock when next season starts. Not sure how that works if your 5 years are up mid-season.
NCAA rules mavens can confirm, but I am pretty sure that if you join your college team early because you have already graduated from high school, and if you don't play in that partial season, then the season does not count against your 5-year eligibility limit. I think this was stated when Jana first joined the team last year.

Reaction Score
I wonder why Geno gave Amari #42-- First since Kesha the Great, '98 --23 years later--- what did HE expect??
I never expected a 6'5" 3-pt shooting #15 rated HS AA, wearing #42, to be on the bench.. chatting....a bit...for her first 2 1/3 seasons,....and counting...
But damn, she looks like a great athlete!!
Imagine playing her one-on-one !!??
She'd kill !!
Hope she's happy- that's really the important thing....❤️ also looks like a great kid......
I guess UConn women players ARE really... human...!
(maybe....develop...more...in the W....?? :) )

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You only get 5 years to do those 4 years of competition which would be fine if she could just play the next 4 seasons with no issues, but she did arrive early last season, so I assume she'll be 1 1/2 years into her 5 year clock when next season starts. Not sure how that works if your 5 years are up mid-season.
The spring semester last year does not count towards Jana’s eligibility in any way. Jana was essentially a red-shirt who could practice with the team but not play in the games. So she has a full 4 seasons of eligibility remaining.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Unless Brazil is involved in some kind of Olympic qualifier, I would be amazed if Cardoso is not available for the UConn game.
EF9601D6-049E-4BFE-B6CC-62507FF1913E.jpeg

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I wonder why Geno gave Amari #42-- First since Kesha the Great, '98 --23 years later--- what did HE expect??
I never expected a 6'5" 3-pt shooting #15 rated HS AA, wearing #42, to be on the bench.. chatting....a bit...for her first 2 1/3 seasons,....and counting...
But damn, she looks like a great athlete!!
Imagine playing her one-on-one !!??
She'd kill !!
Hope she's happy- that's really the important thing....❤️ also looks like a great kid......
I guess UConn women players ARE really... human...!
(maybe....develop...more...in the W....?? :) )
If memory serves, players pick numbers and have to ask the alums permission to wear it. Geno doesn’t assign the #s.

Reaction Score
I think some folks are missing the point on Amari. UConn is down to 9 healthy bodies. Aubrey was a unicorn who could actually match up with opposing Bigs due to her exceptional athleticism, just like Gabby. Without Aubrey, UConn has Aaliyah, Ice & Amari to bang in the post, unless Geno decides to try Coach P at the 5.

Geno is aware of this as well. Whatever Amari has shown or not shown to date, it would be coaching malpractice if Geno and his staff do not do everything in their power to prepare Amari to play prime time minutes in March, when the Huskies will undoubtedly face some teams with size who will live in the paint.

The good news is that the conference schedule will present lots of opportunities to throw some PT at Amari without risking a loss. Maybe not against ND or SC, but let’s see how she’s doing leading into those games.
I would argue that putting Amari in a game when you know and she has shown she can not compete at UConn level would be coaching malpractice

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I seem to remember BYers singing praise & wishing for Amari to come to UConn.

Geno, who is praised by many on this board as the greatest baseball coach of all time who probably sits at the right hand of God. Offered Amari a scholarship. She accepted.

Has she accomplished what most of us had hoped for? Oh! He#l No.

Does it matter? He#l No.

We have No idea why any kid doesn't meet our expectations. And it's actually none of our business.

Amari seems to be a part of the team an seems to be adored by her teammates. Enough for me.

If/when Geno dismisses a kid from the team, I'll say boy they must not have wanted to be here.

Perhaps, since Nika seems to be here for the duration, a few BYers need someone new to denigrate and verbally abused.

I think this thread should be deleted.

I also truly hope that "prospects" don't visit or read this board.

Reaction Score
Jana has a full four years of competition remaining .... for what shall she apply?
Simply to get it authenticated that she missed the year due to injury, and not due to a voluntary red shirt. If she ever were in a position where she was petitioning the NCAA for a sixth year, that would be an important factor.

Also, although it’s very unlikely in her case, but if she ended up in a league like the patriot league, she would not be allowed a fifth year if she had voluntarily sat out her first year. She would only be allowed to play a fifth year if she had missed a season due to injury. In that case, it would be very important And not a bad idea to get it on record sooner rather than later.

Those are two reasons why schools have sent in the hardship waiver paperwork early in a players career and not waited 40 for three or four years.

Reaction Score
If "the rotation will be seven players with Ines", that means you are projecting that Ice or Samuels won't be part of it. I think it will actually be seven players, with Ines only playing if there is foul trouble or some other issue.
Thnks for correcting
Meant to say 7 players and ines if foul trouble etv

Reaction Score
I seem to remember BYers singing praise & wishing for Amari to come to UConn.

Geno, who is praised by many on this board as the greatest baseball coach of all time who probably sits at the right hand of God. Offered Amari a scholarship. She accepted.

Has she accomplished what most of us had hoped for? Oh! He#l No.

Does it matter? He#l No.

We have No idea why any kid doesn't meet our expectations. And it's actually none of our business.

Amari seems to be a part of the team an seems to be adored by her teammates. Enough for me.

If/when Geno dismisses a kid from the team, I'll say boy they must not have wanted to be here.

Perhaps, since Nika seems to be here for the duration, a few BYers need someone new to denigrate and verbally abused.

I think this thread should be deleted.

I also truly hope that "prospects" don't visit or read this board.
Could not agree more!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer