Is Jana out for the season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Jana out for the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I just hope Jana's rehab is progressing on schedule and that she'll be ready to practice with the team by the summer session, and is ready to hoop it up in October.

Reaction Score
I am so confused as to why this year, most BYers would rather play with 4 players on the court rather than see Amari in the game.
I wouldn't. I would like to see her play every minute once the game is out of hand. I would like to see them run a defense where she basically guards the basket and rebounds. Amari needs to decide she can find a gear that works for Geno or her future will look just like her past.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She has yet to do this consistently against teams without size, so...
BTW Did you notice her play near the end of the Creighton game where (I believe) Inês passed into Amari, and the pass was off the mark? That reaction is why the Amari ship has sailed.
What I saw on that play was that Amari had established really strong position in the low post and Ines sailed the pass way to high for Amari to get to it. Put Amari in the same position with Nika, Paige or KK delivering the entry pass and it’s an easy 2 points.

Reaction Score
I am so confused as to why this year, most BYers would rather play with 4 players on the court rather than see Amari in the game.
No one would want that, but she has shown over and over again that she is low on effort (a cardinal sin on this team), she has virtually no skills, and seems pretty disinterested in changing those two things! She seems to be a great person, intelligent, personable, and supportive to her teammates but as a basketball player, just does not seem to be there! Her size at 6’6“ seduces you into thinking; “well, she can just stand under the basket and protect the rim, block shots, stop drives etc.“ The reality however, is that the offense grinds to a lurching halt and the defense suddenly cannot make stops because she cannot be counted on to be where she is supposed to be.

This team, hampered as it is by a severe lack of size, rebounding, and bodies (that can actually contribute in a positive way), wins by becoming a well oiled machine on both sides of the ball. They are like a bearing that is rotating on a smooth film of oil! However, when one of the bearings is out of round, or gets sand in it, things quickly go awry. Amari has shown over and over that she is that out of round bearing and seems to be satisfied with remaining that way. When she does get on the court it is simply more of the same; low effort, as in the most recent example where she stood flatfooted as the pass sailed out of bounds, ( even though it was clearly overthrown, every other player on this team would have made some kind of effort to catch the ball) and a lack of basic understanding of positioning and aggression. The short answer, (too late:rolleyes:) is, that given all these basketball shortcomings, the team cannot play well when she is on the court.

Reaction Score
She has yet to do this consistently against teams without size, so...
BTW Did you notice her play near the end of the Creighton game where (I believe) Inês passed into Amari, and the pass was off the mark? That reaction is why the Amari ship has sailed.

I can't understand how a highly recruited post player spends 3 years at Uconn and can't contribute at all. Something is not right.

Reaction Score
I guess I get why this comes up from time to time. Geno is so unlikely to burn a whole year of her eligibility for half a season even if she is perfectly healthy it is really not a thing IMO. Maybe if she were other than a freshman and had a bunch of experience. It’s pretty much in the same realm as expecting Amari to suddenly become something she hasn’t shown in 2 1/2 years. Boy would I love to be wrong about her.
At this point, I'd take Amari playing like Natalie Butler!

Reaction Score
Aaron Rodgers had a special type of surgery that put a rod in his leg to stabilize his ACL. The surgery is a experimental type and the Jets were willing to pay for it hopping that he would be able to play this year. I don't think that UConn would be able to take the risk of that type of surgery on any of their basketball players.
He tore his Achilles not his ACL, so what rod would fit there?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What I saw on that play was that Amari had established really strong position in the low post and Ines sailed the pass way to high for Amari to get to it. Put Amari in the same position with Nika, Paige or KK delivering the entry pass and it’s an easy 2 points.
Not what I saw. I saw a pass a bit high that DeBerry made no effort for. Pissed me off. I don't expect a lot out of her, but I expect effort. I was a bit surprised Geno didn't sit her back down right then.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
What reaction by Amari are you talking about?
Amari didn't make any reaction, the pass was simply thrown a foot out of her reach.
The play begins at the 1:19:15 mark.
Exactly!!!!! And her reaction IMO looked to me like she was bored. I can't remember seeing any player, and especially one that wants more playing time, be so nonchalant on a play.
Sorry, like I said, it's just my opinion.

Reaction Score
I just hope Jana's rehab is progressing on schedule and that she'll be ready to practice with the team by the summer session, and is ready to hoop it up in October.
And I really hope she doesn't try to play internationally over the summer.

sun

Reaction Score
Exactly!!!!! And her reaction IMO looked to me like she was bored. I can't remember seeing any player, and especially one that wants more playing time, be so nonchalant on a play.
Sorry, like I said, it's just my opinion.
I think that players are advised & trained not to let negative emotions be displayed on the court.
They contol whar they can control including any negative emotions.
It would be a sign of immaturity.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Amari didn't make any reaction, the pass was simply thrown a foot out of her reach.

Scroll to 4:10 in the 4th quarter. I think it was the lack of reaction that was the problem. Amari took a tentative step to try to catch the ball rather than making a strong effort to chase it or jump up to get it. As Meg, or was it Kara?, said after the game, that sequence encapsulates the reason Amari doesn’t get more time.

Reaction Score
SO.....back to Jana. A lot depends on how bad the Achilles tendon is torn. Is it a slight tear, a really bad tear, completely off severed or what. It still takes more than 6 months to get it right. Then she has to get the legs "even" again. She's got to match the strengths in each legs or she could hurt her good leg.

Reaction Score
Not sure why there is any conversation about
Jana playing this year when it was made 100% clear that she was out for the season
Regarding Amari playing time
Don’t see how the injury to Ms Griffin
Changes anything
With the limited roster before the injury, if the coaches had confidence in her, she would already have gotten playing time
Imho the rotation will be seven players with Ines
The 8th player if needed

sun

Reaction Score
I think it was the lack of reaction that was the problem. Amari took a tentative step to try to catch the ball rather than making a strong effort to chase it or jump up to get it. As Meg, or was it Kara?, said after the game, that sequence encapsulates the reason Amari doesn’t get more time.
I don't agree with the comment because the pass was so far out of Amari's reach,
The players are instructed to not dwell on bad plays or bad calls or display negative emotions on the court.
Just keep playing on & move forward.
Especially a bad play that wasn't her fault & with UConn having a 40 point lead near the end of the game.
Everyone has an opinion & even commentators can make mistakes, nitpick & invent a false scenario for the sake of creating media babble.
They could have easily blamed the bad pass on Ines as the reason why she doesn't play more instead of Amari.
And then posters here pick up on it as if it's fact that Amari did something wrong.

Reaction Score

I also thought that just after this play, Ines and Amari, slapped hands as if " we can shake this off!"
So, I too, did not see any negativity. (note: I rarely do!)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't agree with the comment because the pass was so far out of Amari's reach,
The players are instructed to not dwell on bad plays or bad calls or display negative emotions on the court.
Just keep playing on & move forward.
Especially a bad play that wasn't her fault & with UConn having a 40 point lead near the end of the game.
Everyone has an opinion & even commentators can make mistakes, nitpick & invent a false scenario for the sake of creating media babble.
They could have easily blamed the bad pass on Ines as the reason why she doesn't play more instead of Amari.
And then posters here pick up on it as if it's fact that Amari did something wrong.
Scroll to 3:10 remaining in Q4. A shot goes up and Amari watches Q scrap for the rebound. Q got it, too. At 2:40, a Creighton player shot over Amari, who didn’t even bother to raise her arms. At 2:15, another shot went up and Amari watched others go for the ball.

It’s not nitpicking. Everyone here would be ecstatic if Amari played the way the team needs, every single Boneyarder. It just hasn’t happened

Reaction Score
A really... L O N G stretch. We see the whole though our own particular lens.

Reaction Score
I think the posts make my point.
As for Amari's effort, that's up to the coaches. She avgs. 4 minutes a game, after the game is already decided ( garbage time). Some people would criticize a player for trying to run up the score if they were maxing out effort then.
I look at numbers:
If you compare Amari's numbers LY where she avg, 8 minutes:
46% Shooting total, 29% 3s, 42% Foul, 11 pts (per 40), 8.5 rebs ( per 40) 18 blocks in 26 games
Ice's Numbers, 13 minutes per game TY
30% Shooting, 17% 3s, 41% foul, 9 points (per 40), 7.5 rebs (per 40) 2 blocks in 14 games

But all the negativity to Amari.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think the posts make my point.
As for Amari's effort, that's up to the coaches. She avgs. 4 minutes a game, after the game is already decided ( garbage time). Some people would criticize a player for trying to run up the score if they were maxing out effort then.
I look at numbers:
If you compare Amari's numbers LY where she avg, 8 minutes:
46% Shooting total, 29% 3s, 42% Foul, 11 pts (per 40), 8.5 rebs ( per 40) 18 blocks in 26 games
Ice's Numbers, 13 minutes per game TY
30% Shooting, 17% 3s, 41% foul, 9 points (per 40), 7.5 rebs (per 40) 2 blocks in 14 games

But all the negativity to Amari.
I'm sorry, but comparing a Freshman's numbers to a Junior's numbers is like comparing apples to oranges. Amari should be leaps and bounds ahead of Ice but she isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom