Is Jana out for the season? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is Jana out for the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think the posts make my point.
As for Amari's effort, that's up to the coaches. She avgs. 4 minutes a game, after the game is already decided ( garbage time). Some people would criticize a player for trying to run up the score if they were maxing out effort then.
I look at numbers:
If you compare Amari's numbers LY where she avg, 8 minutes:
46% Shooting total, 29% 3s, 42% Foul, 11 pts (per 40), 8.5 rebs ( per 40) 18 blocks in 26 games
Ice's Numbers, 13 minutes per game TY
30% Shooting, 17% 3s, 41% foul, 9 points (per 40), 7.5 rebs (per 40) 2 blocks in 14 games

But all the negativity to Amari.
  • Ice is a freshman that’s played a total 14 college games. Amari is a junior that’s played in 51 games.
  • Ice plays against starters, Amari plays against the end of the bench
  • Amari isn’t getting all the negativity. Ice gets criticized plenty and is given none of the latitude from fans that Amari has. People want Amari to play more because they think that will help her; Ice’s critics have written her off.

Reaction Score
For a post that started out on Jana, it sure swayed off the mark, especially with Aaron Rodgers, who is a different gender, different sport and different player. The Achilles heel is not germane to Jana's injury as we don't know the extent of their injuries, I predicted Jana would be a starter because I saw her games on Utube in FIFA games playing for Egypt. She was a beast and if I remember correctly, she scored 37 points in one game and I believe she averaged over 20 points per game. I also believed Jana would be the big 5 we've been missing. I would not stop Jana from playing summer games because that will get her ready for November. With Jana and the 4 Freshmen and the 2 new recruits coming in, next year will belong to UCONN!!!! And if Paige and Aaliyah stay, really a great year. GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
Pretty sure she has red shirted and not available.

She is very likely not available. But redshirts (actually medical hardship waivers) only officially happen after the season is concluded. Coaches, players, or the press may say someone is "redshirting" but that wouldn't preclude a player from playing the next week or the next month.

At some point after the season ends, she /UConn will apply for a waiver for medical hardship and submit the medical records. It will quickly be granted.

Reaction Score
Not sure why there is any conversation about
Jana playing this year when it was made 100% clear that she was out for the season
Regarding Amari playing time
Don’t see how the injury to Ms Griffin
Changes anything
With the limited roster before the injury, if the coaches had confidence in her, she would already have gotten playing time
Imho the rotation will be seven players with Ines
The 8th player if needed

If "the rotation will be seven players with Ines", that means you are projecting that Ice or Samuels won't be part of it. I think it will actually be seven players, with Ines only playing if there is foul trouble or some other issue.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think some folks are missing the point on Amari. UConn is down to 9 healthy bodies. Aubrey was a unicorn who could actually match up with opposing Bigs due to her exceptional athleticism, just like Gabby. Without Aubrey, UConn has Aaliyah, Ice & Amari to bang in the post, unless Geno decides to try Coach P at the 5.

Geno is aware of this as well. Whatever Amari has shown or not shown to date, it would be coaching malpractice if Geno and his staff do not do everything in their power to prepare Amari to play prime time minutes in March, when the Huskies will undoubtedly face some teams with size who will live in the paint.

The good news is that the conference schedule will present lots of opportunities to throw some PT at Amari without risking a loss. Maybe not against ND or SC, but let’s see how she’s doing leading into those games.

Reaction Score
I think some folks are missing the point on Amari. UConn is down to 9 healthy bodies. Aubrey was a unicorn who could actually match up with opposing Bigs due to her exceptional athleticism, just like Gabby. Without Aubrey, UConn has Aaliyah, Ice & Amari to bang in the post, unless Geno decides to try Coach P at the 5.

Geno is aware of this as well. Whatever Amari has shown or not shown to date, it would be coaching malpractice if Geno and his staff do not do everything in their power to prepare Amari to play prime time minutes in March, when the Huskies will undoubtedly face some teams with size who will live in the paint.

The good news is that the conference schedule will present lots of opportunities to throw some PT at Amari without risking a loss. Maybe not against ND or SC, but let’s see how she’s doing leading into those games.
I'd be happy if she just sprinted the court. I've never even seen that.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

If Geno is going to follow your advice, then we should see prime time minutes in conference as you say. I hope that happens and proves salutory. Frankly, I have come to believe that there is just something missing in Amari's make up that makes this a very long shot.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'd be happy if she just sprinted the court. I've never even seen that.
Granted. But consider a plausible scenario as follows. UConn travels to Columbia in February, where our small lineup is hanging in there against SC. Aaliyah picks up a couple of quick fouls, so Geno brings in Ice, who struggles to contain Cardoso who scores repeatedly in the low post.

At this point, Geno has a couple options: bring Aaliyah back in and risk further foul trouble, try Amari on Cardoso or throw in the towel. If he’s going to consider option 2, then he’s got to start rolling Amari out for meaningful PT in the upcoming games, starting with Georgetown this weekend.

If Amari gets nothing more than mop up minutes at Georgetown, then I promise I will drop the “What about Amari?” scenario for the remainder of the season.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Granted. But consider a plausible scenario as follows. UConn travels to Columbia in February, where our small lineup is hanging in there against SC. Aaliyah picks up a couple of quick fouls, so Geno brings in Ice, who struggles to contain Cardoso who scores repeatedly in the low post.

At this point, Geno has a couple options: bring Aaliyah back in and risk further foul trouble, try Amari on Cardoso or throw in the towel. If he’s going to consider option 2, then he’s got to start rolling Amari out for meaningful PT in the upcoming games, starting with Georgetown this weekend.

If Amari gets nothing more than mop up minutes at Georgetown, then I promise I will drop the “What about Amari?” scenario for the remainder of the season.
I don’t necessarily think that won’t come into play, but all Amari has in common with Cardoso to date is height. Strength is no contest.

Reaction Score
No one would want that, but she has shown over and over again that she is low on effort (a cardinal sin on this team), she has virtually no skills, and seems pretty disinterested in changing those two things! She seems to be a great person, intelligent, personable, and supportive to her teammates but as a basketball player, just does not seem to be there! Her size at 6’6“ seduces you into thinking; “well, she can just stand under the basket and protect the rim, block shots, stop drives etc.“ The reality however, is that the offense grinds to a lurching halt and the defense suddenly cannot make stops because she cannot be counted on to be where she is supposed to be.

This team, hampered as it is by a severe lack of size, rebounding, and bodies (that can actually contribute in a positive way), wins by becoming a well oiled machine on both sides of the ball. They are like a bearing that is rotating on a smooth film of oil! However, when one of the bearings is out of round, or gets sand in it, things quickly go awry. Amari has shown over and over that she is that out of round bearing and seems to be satisfied with remaining that way. When she does get on the court it is simply more of the same; low effort, as in the most recent example where she stood flatfooted as the pass sailed out of bounds, ( even though it was clearly overthrown, every other player on this team would have made some kind of effort to catch the ball) and a lack of basic understanding of positioning and aggression. The short answer, (too late:rolleyes:) is, that given all these basketball shortcomings, the team cannot play well when she is on the court.
This.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
It did occur to me that Aubrey’s injury might just resurrect Amari as a possibility for a few minutes a game during the regular rotation. Obviously, Q & Ice have first dibs on additional PT. But against teams with real size, having a 6’5” post that can play a little defense, set screens and grab a rebound or two would be a real plus.
Yes, it would if only we had that player. :(

Reaction Score
Exactly!!!!! And her reaction IMO looked to me like she was bored. I can't remember seeing any player, and especially one that wants more playing time, be so nonchalant on a play.
Sorry, like I said, it's just my opinion.
what evidence is there that she wants more playing time?

Reaction Score

I truly believe Geno sees it as it is. If AE gets in foul trouble and ICE is ineffective then he goes to a Zone or doubles Cardoso and let the Other players beat us. Maybe just maybe Amari will have an epiphany and turn things around? I just don’t see it, Geno has talked many times about a players net impact on the game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

One of our S Carolina visitors has said Cardoso will probably be playing with her National team when UConn plays in Columbia

Reaction Score

It all depends upon the schools philosophy. I know of instances where the applications were put in for a hardship waiver for players who had just missed their freshman year with an injury . The school may feel it’s easier to get it done earlier when it’s easier to assemble all the medical evidence a get the doctors to fill out the necessary forms. You never know if it will be needed or not.

There is no NCAA rule on when an application should be made.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of our S Carolina visitors has said Cardoso will probably be playing with her National team when UConn plays in Columbia
Unless Brazil is involved in some kind of Olympic qualifier, I would be amazed if Cardoso is not available for the UConn game.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
what evidence is there that she wants more playing time?
Good point, I was assuming that. I also assume that every non starter wants more playing time.

Reaction Score
You only get 5 years to do those 4 years of competition which would be fine if she could just play the next 4 seasons with no issues, but she did arrive early last season, so I assume she'll be 1 1/2 years into her 5 year clock when next season starts. Not sure how that works if your 5 years are up mid-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom