Is J Carey on campus tomorrow? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Is J Carey on campus tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Malachi Richardson played 22 games for Sacramento last season, although he's probably closer to a wing.

I didn't say they were great players - I think the most important part in the eyes of a recruit is where those guys were drafted and how long it took them to get there. Carter-Williams played two years at Cuse and went in the lottery. Ennis played one year and went in the first round. Waiters is a ball dominant two guard who went fourth overall after two years and Richardson is a guard/wing type who went in the first after one year, not to mention Jonny Flynn who went sixth in the draft after his junior season. None of these guys were can't-miss prospects and all of them, provided they've been able to manage their money, are living the good life. Besides, I have always found it difficult to hold coaches responsible for what happens to a player after they leave the program (granted, with Syracuse guys there is the element of having to re-learn man-to-man defense that doesn't exist with other programs).

I still think UConn is the place for any lead guard to be, but if we're selling Carey on the idea of us being able to get him to the NBA sooner than Cuse can, I'd say they have a decent counterargument.

No doubt Boeheim sells recruits on that record, but it's also easy to recruit against: (a) NBA teams thoroughly analyze picks these days and know that none of those picks worked out, and are going to be cautious about drafting Syracuse kids going forward; (b) the key to making big money is to have a 13-year NBA career like Ollie. Who can teach how to do that better than Ollie himself, the guy who did it?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Totally Boeheims fault.....
If not his, who's?
The only killer guards he had - McNamara and that Devendorf - couldn't sniff the NBA
Eniss - meh
Waiters - hot and cold
Carter-Williams - probably the best but can't hit the broad side of a barn
Gbinije - meh

Reaction Score
No doubt Boeheim sells recruits on that record, but it's also easy to recruit against: (a) NBA teams thoroughly analyze picks these days and know that none of those picks worked out, and are going to be cautious about drafting Syracuse kids going forward; (b) the key to making big money is to have a 13-year NBA career like Ollie. Who can teach how to do that better than Ollie himself, the guy who did it?

I've said this before, but I think the easiest way to recruit against Boeheim is to invoke the fact that he's, you know, really damn old. He will be 74 by the time Carey plays a game, and, much like Calhoun, he seems to follow the Brett Favre retirement model where his future will be perpetually in flux.

Your first point is a good one - if there was ever a program liable to be stigmatized by coaches and GM's, it would be Syracuse because of the unique nature of the zone. At the very least, it's one more seed of paranoia you can plant in the kids mind.

On the second point, maybe it works, but I can also see how you open yourself up to obvious counters like "the best players are not the best coaches."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
With Boeheim, you recruit against his age.

With Ollie, you recruit against the American.

Boeheim plays retirement close to the vest, so he minimizes the impact. Calhoun would mention every two minutes that he might retire at any moment which didn't help in his later years.

The NBA stuff is all puffery anyway. Rutgers sold a kid on their ability to get him to the NBA recently, so anyone can pull that stunt off.

C

Chief00

With Boeheim, you recruit against his age.

With Ollie, you recruit against the American.

Boeheim plays retirement close to the vest, so he minimizes the impact. Calhoun would mention every two minutes that he might retire at any moment which didn't help in his later years.

The NBA stuff is all puffery anyway. Rutgers sold a kid on their ability to get him to the NBA recently, so anyone can pull that stunt off.
So true about the NBA stuff , in most cases being puffery, but it's what both the kids and many parents want to hear.

Reaction Score
I don't know much about recruiting but I can sure see how this stuff could out of hand like a pretty coed guiding the tour. Each school trying to out do each other.

Reaction Score
Chief knows squat. Everything he says is hedged just enough that he can always claim he was right. As for his hoops knowledge, I will go up against him any day of the week. In whatever forum necessary.

Reaction Score
Chief knows squat. Everything he says is hedged just enough that he can always claim he was right. As for his hoops knowledge, I will go up against him any day of the week. In whatever forum necessary.

Not sure what the heck this is about but I appreciate anyone brings for "potential" insight if they have any clue for any reason. They don't have to be right I could care less.

Reaction Score
'Cuse fans chatting how little reports/updates or news on social media about visit. Unlike family posts while visiting Storrs.
Good or bad??

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't know much about recruiting but I can sure see how this stuff could out of hand like a pretty coed guiding the tour.

Just one? Amateur.

Reaction Score
Unlike family posts while visiting Storrs.
Well his family has posted plenty online about the visit. Probably more than the UConn visit but let's ignore that, right? His dad is having a good time. His brother (Jalen's uncle) lives in Syracuse.

Jalen has been somewhat quite though. Last night around 10 or 11 he was looking to play 8Ball (an iphone game) versus people and asking people to DM him. I take that as a sign of being board.

Reaction Score
Well his family has posted plenty online about the visit. Probably more than the UConn visit but let's ignore that, right? His dad is having a good time. His brother (Jalen's uncle) lives in Syracuse.

Jalen has been somewhat quite though. Last night around 10 or 11 he was looking to play 8Ball (an iphone game) versus people and asking people to DM him. I take that as a sign of being board.
Well his dad seems like the type to have a good time wherever he is. He had a 20min Instagram live last night turning up with 2 drunk Syracuse students. The question is who did dad connect more with KO or the nose picker.

Jalen posted a bunch of stuff of him hanging with the guys and at practices via snap and Instagram during his UConn visit, so far at cuse he's been almost mostly quiet.

What the means who knows

Reaction Score
Can we surmise that it is us or Cuse? I've heard Miami is in it but what's the official word?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Yes. Let's ignore that.

I mean, the way we've been running lately, families have been stonewalling us what seems like every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom