Is Iowa at Indiana Threadworthy? | The Boneyard

Is Iowa at Indiana Threadworthy?

Reaction Score
I say yes. Super offense with poor defense against the most balanced team in the BIG.

I really don't like imbalanced team's like Iowa and Oklahoma (or Duke in the other direction) but this is the best possible showcase for Clark before the tournament. I'll watch

Attachments

• 1675802002076.png
    1675802002076.png
    829.5 KB · Views: 81
Reaction Score
This will absolutely be an exciting game, must see TV. The showcase of a superlative college individual talent, the likely runner-up POY, against a top four team that has a legitimate shot at the playing in the national championship game.

Reaction Score
Should be a great game. Does Indiana have a go to stopper who will defend Clark?

Reaction Score
Threadworthy to me. I haven’t seen Indiana play much and am curious as to how well they are able to keep Clark from going off and scoring her usual.

Hardly a secret but Iowa really leans on Clark. IIRC they have won games even when she’s had an off night, but not typically against strong(er) opponents. They depend on her for scoring and everything else. But they do need to have other people step up if she’s struggling and/or being double- or triple-teamed.

I think it’ll be a back and forth game. I would be a little surprised if either team really dominated.

Reaction Score
I say yes. Super offense with poor defense against the most balanced team in the BIG.

I really don't like imbalanced team's like Iowa and Oklahoma (or Duke in the other direction) but this is the best possible showcase for Clark before the tournament. I'll watch
The use of this Seinfeld meme will always make me chuckle. Love it.

Reaction Score
I'm really surprised not much is being said about Berger, Garzon or Parrish. While Holmes definitely deserves a lot of attention because she's an AA candidate rom my view, these three shouldn't be overlooked by any stretch. I'd take them over Martin, Marshall and Warnock.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm really surprised not much is being said about Berger, Garzon or Parrish. While Holmes definitely deserves a lot of attention because she's an AA candidate rom my view, these three shouldn't be overlooked by any stretch. I'd take them over Martin, Marshall and Warnock.
I think Parrish has come on to the point that she's become the glue of that team. Her all-round play and height at the guard position is a huge plus because she can score inside and out. Coach Moren chose to keep her in the starting line-up once Berger came back and now Scalia comes off the bench to snipe. (She'll start next year). And don't leave Garzon open at your own risk.

These games are made for Berger to assert herself at key moments. I love her slow, steady back in and then the deft, fadeaway jumper: maybe her grandparents remember Earl "the Pearl" Monroe or Dick "Fade Back, Baby" Barnett, but both did the same thing. She's smooth and tough: Love her game.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Building on what Dillon said.

I think the world of Grace Berger. She's one of those players who just seems to know what needs to be done. I'm just SO impressed with what Indiana has done with her gone for something like 10 games. Also don't forget that they lost 3 starters in Patberg (now an assistant?), Cardano-Hillary, and Gulbe, all of whom were key contributors.

Moore-McNeil has stepped up big time and has become an excellent defender. They now have effectively two (converted) point guards. (They also have a freshman, Bargesser, who's a true point guard but is, well, a freshman.) Parrish has proven that she's pretty consistent, and has shown that she can really go off on occasion. Garzon is unique, and I don't really know what to make of her. She really is a bit of a chimera -- I've seen games when she hasn't been able to miss from three, but others where she's blocked several shots. She's listed as a guard, but could be a stretch-4, and I suspect Teri Moren will try to steer her that way. And Scalia can light it up, although she's streaky.

I wouldn't minimize the contributions of Martin, Marshall, or Warnock. Marshall's shot has been off thus far, but coming into the season, she's been close to a 40% career three-point shooter. Plus she's their best perimeter defender, and she can get into the head of the opposing point guard. Warnock might be one of the most underrated players in the country. She consistently battles against players bigger than her and has shot 50/40 for her career.

The two games will come down to: Iowa's team has played together for three years. Indiana has had a lot of turnover since last year, and some lineup shuffles this year. Iowa is dominated by two players. Indiana is more balanced. I think Holmes is a better two-way player than Czinano, but either could go off on any given night, even vs. the other. Clark will score a lot of points, but it remains to be see whether she does so with a reasonable number of shots.

Iowa won both games last year. I think they split home-and-home this year.

Reaction Score
You're right, cancontent. There are reasons the Hoosiers are a five-point favorite, and it's not just Holmes (who is outstanding).

Reaction Score
I like IU’s chances, but I can’t shake a nagging doubt that Clark is going to light them up and Holmes won’t be able to defend Czinano. Is Iowa their worst matchup nightmare?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I like IU’s chances, but I can’t shake a nagging doubt that Clark is going to light them up and Holmes won’t be able to defend Czinano. Is Iowa their worst matchup nightmare?
I don't know, @Bone Dog : there are parts of Czinano's game that will make Mac think she's looking in a mirror, so she should be ready for it. Another similarity: while the big Cz gets perfect passes from Clark, I think every Indiana player has to master 10 entry passes to Holmes before getting on the court. Mandatory. Berger has taken over Patberg's role as chief feeder, Berger & Co. all get it.

Reaction Score
Building on what Dillon said.

I think the world of Grace Berger. She's one of those players who just seems to know what needs to be done. I'm just SO impressed with what Indiana has done with her gone for something like 10 games. Also don't forget that they lost 3 starters in Patberg (now an assistant?), Cardano-Hillary, and Gulbe, all of whom were key contributors.

Moore-McNeil has stepped up big time and has become an excellent defender. They now have effectively two (converted) point guards. (They also have a freshman, Bargesser, who's a true point guard but is, well, a freshman.) Parrish has proven that she's pretty consistent, and has shown that she can really go off on occasion. Garzon is unique, and I don't really know what to make of her. She really is a bit of a chimera -- I've seen games when she hasn't been able to miss from three, but others where she's blocked several shots. She's listed as a guard, but could be a stretch-4, and I suspect Teri Moren will try to steer her that way. And Scalia can light it up, although she's streaky.

I wouldn't minimize the contributions of Martin, Marshall, or Warnock. Marshall's shot has been off thus far, but coming into the season, she's been close to a 40% career three-point shooter. Plus she's their best perimeter defender, and she can get into the head of the opposing point guard. Warnock might be one of the most underrated players in the country. She consistently battles against players bigger than her and has shot 50/40 for her career.

The two games will come down to: Iowa's team has played together for three years. Indiana has had a lot of turnover since last year, and some lineup shuffles this year. Iowa is dominated by two players. Indiana is more balanced. I think Holmes is a better two-way player than Czinano, but either could go off on any given night, even vs. the other. Clark will score a lot of points, but it remains to be see whether she does so with a reasonable number of shots.

Iowa won both games last year. I think they split home-and-home this year.

It's not a matter of minimizing what these three can do. It's just my preference. I like what I see out of Berger, Garzon and Parrish more.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with that feeling. When Clark's on the court, you can't assume it's a done deal even if the team they're playing has a huge lead.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with that feeling. When Clark's on the court, you can't assume it's a done deal even if the team they're playing has a huge lead.
That's the thing with Iowa isn't it? I would say Indiana is the better team and they'll be at home with a great crowd but they don't have a Caitlin Clark. If she can get some help from her teammates this game...watch out.

One thing from Clark's game that is a little underrated is she's so good at getting to the free-throw line. She averages 8.2 attempts per game, more than any player on both teams, and is 84.0% from the line. That could be something to watch in this game if she can get one of the Indiana starters in foul trouble.

I have a feeling Mackenzie Holmes will be the one getting Monika Czinano in foul trouble and not vice versa. Who knows though.

Reaction Score
Threadworthy to me. I haven’t seen Indiana play much and am curious as to how well they are able to keep Clark from going off and scoring her usual.

Hardly a secret but Iowa really leans on Clark. IIRC they have won games even when she’s had an off night, but not typically against strong(er) opponents. They depend on her for scoring and everything else. But they do need to have other people step up if she’s struggling and/or being double- or triple-teamed.

I think it’ll be a back and forth game. I would be a little surprised if either team really dominated.
If you watch the Indiana/Iowa game, you are in for a great game. Indiana, in my opinion, is fun to watch. They are well coached, especially for those of us that follow the Big Ten and have watched Indiana go from bottom dwellers of the conference to the #2 team in the nation! Coach Moren has done a wonderful job building a program and changing the culture at Indiana.

Reaction Score
My prediction is that Iowa wins. Caitlin Clark seems like the type of player who thrives in opponent territory. Indiana’s games this season have been electric and I’m sure tomorrow will be no exception.

This is my Game of the Week. Yes, even ahead of Sunday’s South Carolina/LSU matchup.

Reaction Score
I have this prejudice when thinking about Big Ten sports that comes from old Woody Hayes football and Bobby Knight MBB. Hard, closely played defensive battles.

WBB in the Big 10 is more free wheeling and an offensive show as led by Maryland for years and epitomized by Caitlin Clark Utah offense this year

But still when the name Big Ten hits my brain . . .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom