Is Iowa at Indiana Threadworthy? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is Iowa at Indiana Threadworthy?

Reaction Score
Interesting thoughts, MSSportsGuy, and there's validity to it all except, please, please, please don't compare Caitlin Clark to Arike... yikes!:rolleyes:

Yes, Caitlin took 20 more shots than her teammates last night, but that disparity was not the norm.

Note the Hawkeyes are shooting 50 percent from the floor for the season, 52 percent without Caitlin's shots, and Clark is shooting 46 percent. It's not like her shooting is dragging Iowa off a cliff. And a high percentage of shots by her teammates are layups she sets up or wide open threes because she's so closely guarded.

Even last night, she shot 43 percent on what was a below-average night for her, likely due to the reality that Indiana plays better defense than most other teams. By the way, Clark is averaging 19 shots per game, not an extraordinary number considering the team's reliance on her.
And that's my point. When they were watching her 11 3-pointers (and make 3) go up...they were open. And in fact, most of them shoot the 3 better than she does. So IMO she's better off conceding more of those shots OR take 2s where she's MUCH more efficient and where she gets to the line more. This isn't to say IOWA isn't a good team I just feel that in order to get to the next level they need to make adjustments and I just don't think it's taking more contested 3s by Clark. As exciting as Clark is...she's a mid-30 % 3-point shooter. She's a mid-40 % 2-point shooter. If she must shoot that much...the shot selection has to be better. Seems kind of crazy to point to her where they could improve, but that's because she's such a large part of their offense.

Reaction Score
I've had this feeling for awhile, but I wanted to check the stats to see if I was right. Clark averages 24.8 shots/game in Iowa's losses, but only 17.8 in their wins. Last year: 23.4 vs 18.6. Probably several reasons to blame, but primarily this reflects on her surrounding cast: usually shorter and less athletic than the opposition. This makes it harder for them to score and even to get off shots, so Caitlin has to take over. She truly does enjoy seeing her teammates doing well (scoring) and loves to dish, but ultimately she wants to win. This has played out many times the past two years.

Last night's game was fun; first time I've seen Indiana this year and they are good. Plenty of height but not super athletic either. Great job of defense by them, especially on Czinano. They could go far in the tourney. Rematch on February 26th should be equally entertaining.
Yes it will. Question for me is will the crowd noise be blamed for affecting the clocks should it happen at Carver? :D Hearing the commentators bring that up as a possible reason for last night's hiccups had me chuckling.

Reaction Score
And that's my point. When they were watching her 11 3-pointers (and make 3) go up...they were open. And in fact, most of them shoot the 3 better than she does. So IMO she's better off conceding more of those shots OR take 2s where she's MUCH more efficient and where she gets to the line more. This isn't to say IOWA isn't a good team I just feel that in order to get to the next level they need to make adjustments and I just don't think it's taking more contested 3s by Clark. As exciting as Clark is...she's a mid-30 % 3-point shooter. She's a mid-40 % 2-point shooter. If she must shoot that much...the shot selection has to be better. Seems kind of crazy to point to her where they could improve, but that's because she's such a large part of their offense.
It's possibly McKenna Warnock is as good a three-point shooter as Caitlin Clark... at least she has a good track record in games this and last season. Yet you say 'most of them' shoot it better from three than Caitlin? Hmmmm, you might need to check the stats, and watch the games.

More to the point, you get on Clark for being 3 of 11 and being a mid-30s three-point shooter. Actually, she's at 37 percent. And you didn't note that the rest of the Hawkeyes were 3 of 10 last night (2 of 4 by Warnock).

Kate Martin had that 'where did that come from' 6 of 6 game vs. UConn but otherwise, there's no one on the Iowa's regular rotation who's more likely than Caitlin to make a three than Warnock.

And Clark's not a mid-40s 2-point shooter, rather 54 percent.

Lisa Bluder loves the wide-open game, she loves three-point shooting... trouble is, the Hawkeyes aren't as well-stocked with three-point shooters (or players who can create their own shots) as people might think.
Hannah Stuelke is very promising, and Czinano is usually a remarkably good shooter in the paint.

Reaction Score
I agree that Clark isn’t really pg, though she plays one on TV. She’s really a shooting guard with excellent handles. She’s a good passer to be sure, but she’s too important as a shooter to this team. Can Marshall really not play the point for Iowa? I wonder if Bluder isn’t making a mistake here.

I love Berger and Holmes — actually a better version of Clark and Czinano because they know how to involve the rest of the team better.

I had better hopes for Iowa after they lost to UConn. They threatened in the 2nd and 3rd quarters until collapsing in the 4th. Their scoring was more evenly distributed, with Marshall and Martin and Warnock having bigger roles. IU beat them too, but it was a close game, closer than I expected. They played a lot like Iowa. As a result, I expect UConn will beat IU if it comes to it and everyone’s healthy. I hope we see that game.
Clark is absolutely a PG. She's the best passer and ball handler on Iowa by a wide margin. She's also the only guard on the team that can consistently get a shot off the dribble.

Maybe on the national team in the future Clark will move over to the 2, but that says more about the players she'll be with than whether she can play PG on her own.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Just a general comment that I've gleaned from reading about Clark's career for the past few years on this board.

There seem to be a lot of posters here who don't seem to care for volume shooters, which Clark is. The fact she has so many assists doesn't seem to phase those who believe she takes too many shots for Iowa. I recall the same things being said about Kelsey Mitchell when she was at OSU, and definitely was said about Arike at ND.

Like many people I too prefer basketball games that are balanced, crisp, with lots of passes and getting people the ball in the right spot. However, over the years I've also seen teams where if the alpha player didn't take a lot of shots, they had no chance of winning. It may not be ideal but it's reality.

This isn't is a criticism of any specific person or their views, just an observation combined with my two cents. From all accounts Clark is an exceptional player and has given Iowa a breath of fresh air in basketball.
Good post.
I look at Caitlin Clark as high-volume possession, whether that be ball-handling, passing, shooting. Heck, she's a darn good rebounder as well. Shooting-wise, you might be thinking of Kelsey Mitchell or Arike (from my alma mater), but who she reminds me if Sabrina Ionescu: she'll do whatever it takes on any given night to bring it home.

They both had posts to set up: Ionescu had Ruthy Hebard; Clark has Czinano. They're the epicenter of the games because that's the way they're constructed.

I think that Clark would like to keep her shots under 20 a game. In fact, the best extended performance I ever saw her in was in leading the U.S.A. to the gold medal in Europe. Of course, she had teammates she could set up/play with from Azzi Fudd and Diamond Johnson to Lauren Betts (there's that center again) and, most notably, Sonia Citron. (It's waay interesting how well Citron plays off volume-centric players, but that's another post.)
I think it would've been really interesting if Iowa had brought in a capable guard to play off Clark, but it is what it is at this point.

Like Ionescu, I think Clark ultimately might be better in the pro's moving to an off-guard position that allows her to often control the ball. Bringing the ball up most possessions takes a boatload of energy, both physically and mentally. As good a ballhandler and passer is, I think her truest strength is her ability to let it rip. (And it's a blast to watch). I think she might be even better in the pro's.

Reaction Score
As for Gabbie Marshall, she's playing because she's a good defensive player. She is not a point guard. When Caitlin's not at the point, it's transfer Molly Davis. Warnock is a solid contributor, and Martin plays hard, but that 6 of 6 from three vs. UConn was her Warholian 15 minutes.
I agree. Though folks thought Nika was primarily a defensive player before this year. Maybe Gabbie doesn't have the same competitive fire Nika does. But whoever it is, we had these same conversations two years ago when Geno decided to move Paige "off the ball." It's a calculation, but it's based on his vision of the team and the game. Interestingly, last year, when Paige played, she was often at the point again.

Also agree about Martin's 15 minutes. But for that, the 2nd and 3rd quarters wouldn't have been nearly as competitive. This is also why I think a healthy UConn beats IU again this year. Now let's hope we're healthy enough to watch what promises to be a great game.

Only exception with last season was that Gube (sic) was another reliable inside presence where they're relying a lot more on Holmes this season.
Also agree with this assessment. Gulbe was a solid partner to Holmes and I was worried they'd be diminished by her departure. But it seems to have inspired Holmes to up her game even further. They may be better without Gulbe than they were with her. I'm not sure what to make of the rest of the team. Garzon looks like a find, and Parrish and Scalia seem like good contributors. But last years group was a well-oiled machine, and they just don't feel like that to me... yet.

Reaction Score
Clark is absolutely a PG. She's the best passer and ball handler on Iowa by a wide margin. She's also the only guard on the team that can consistently get a shot off the dribble.

Maybe on the national team in the future Clark will move over to the 2, but that says more about the players she'll be with than whether she can play PG on her own.
Spot on, Iowa57. I'll be hoping to make it to the day when Paige is that national team point guard, and Azzi's on the other wing. Fingers crossed they both are healthy at that point.

What a joy it would be to watch those three as teammates for the USA!

Reaction Score
It's possibly McKenna Warnock is as good a three-point shooter as Caitlin Clark... at least she has a good track record in games this and last season. Yet you say 'most of them' shoot it better from three than Caitlin. Hmmmm, you might need to check the stats, and watch the games.

More to the point, you get on Clark for being 3 of 11 and being a mid-30s three-point shooter. Actually, she's at 37 percent, which as a stretch could be considered 'mid-30s, but you didn't note that the rest of the Hawkeyes were 3 of 10 last night (2 of 4 by Warnock).

Kate Martin had that 'where did that come from' 6 of 6 game vs. UConn but otherwise, there's no one on the Iowa's regular rotation who's more likely than Caitlin to make a three than Warnock.

And Clark's not a mid-40s 2-point shooter, rather 54 percent.

Lisa Bluder loves the wide-open game, she loves three-point shooting... trouble is, the Hawkeyes aren't as well-stocked with three-point shooters (or players who can create their own shots) as people might think.
Hannah Stuelke is very promising, and Czinano is usually a remarkably good shooter in the paint.
Until very recently...at least 3 or 4 others shot the 3 better than Clark. They certainly don't shoot it much worse. If she's the mid-40s or mid-50s from 2... the same point. Take more 2s. If you look at Iowa's losses (minus maybe KSU)...Clark took a ton of 3s and shot a poor percentage while her 2 pt shooting was probably 55+ % percent in those same games. I don't think numbers always reveal everything, but sometimes they are symptoms. In this case, I think the shot selection is an issue. NC State beat Iowa (don't know how) by a lot, but no one else really has. UCONN only beat them by 7. So a little variation might take Iowa a long way.

Reaction Score
Good post.
I look at Caitlin Clark as high-volume possession, whether that be ball-handling, passing, shooting. Heck, she's a darn good rebounder as well. Shooting-wise, you might be thinking of Kelsey Mitchell or Arike (from my alma mater), but who she reminds me if Sabrina Ionescu: she'll do whatever it takes on any given night to bring it home.

They both had posts to set up: Ionescu had Ruthy Hebard; Clark has Czinano. They're the epicenter of the games because that's the way they're constructed.

I think that Clark would like to keep her shots under 20 a game. In fact, the best extended performance I ever saw her in was in leading the U.S.A. to the gold medal in Europe. Of course, she had teammates she could set up/play with from Azzi Fudd and Diamond Johnson to Lauren Betts (there's that center again) and, most notably, Sonia Citron. (It's waay interesting how well Citron plays off volume-centric players, but that's another post.)
I think it would've been really interesting if Iowa had brought in a capable guard to play off Clark, but it is what it is at this point.

Like Ionescu, I think Clark ultimately might be better in the pro's moving to an off-guard position that allows her to often control the ball. Bringing the ball up most possessions takes a boatload of energy, both physically and mentally. As good a ballhandler and passer is, I think her truest strength is her ability to let it rip. (And it's a blast to watch). I think she might be even better in the pro's.
Just a quick addendum about your excellent post, Dillon77: if memory serves, I recall that I thought while Clark earned the MVP for that US team, I felt Sonia Citron was the team's second-best player... and she's starting show that for your Irish. Olivia Miles is the 'name' player for ND but Citron is just so good.

Reaction Score
Until very recently...at least 3 or 4 others shot the 3 better than Clark. They certainly don't shoot it much worse. If she's the mid-40s or mid-50s from 2... the same point. Take more 2s. If you look at Iowa's losses (minus maybe KSU)...Clark took a ton of 3s and shot a poor percentage while her 2 pt shooting was probably 55+ % percent in those same games. I don't think numbers always reveal everything, but sometimes they are symptoms. In this case, I think the shot selection is an issue. NC State beat Iowa (don't know how) by a lot, but no one else really has. UCONN only beat them by 7. So a little variation might take Iowa a long way.
I don't know where those '3 or 4' disappeared to, LwrcasefaN, but we'll agree to disagree here. I hope you watch more of Iowa's games. If you do, you'll more understand my points.

Reaction Score
I don't know where those '3 or 4' disappeared to, LwrcasefaN, but we'll agree to disagree here. I hope you watch more of Iowa's games. If you do, you'll more understand my points.
What if someone doesn't AGREE to disagree - but continues to disagree without agreement?

HMMMMMM.

Reaction Score
I get your points. And while we mostly discussed Clark, I'm looking at it from the overall effect on Iowa's offense. If I were playing Iowa I would actually prefer she take those 3s...even if fans find them exciting. They can throw a dagger into the mind of the opponent when she hits and they can inject a lot of energy into Iowa. But when you miss...there's the opposite effect. In a tight game, I definitely want the higher percentage shots. Especially since she really excels at it. And it's not just Clark and Iowa.

The TN/Mississippi game the other night gave me the same feeling. Everyone knew the ball was going into Rickea Jackson at the end. They passed it anyway despite her being triple-teamed. Meanwhile, and not just at the end of the game, Sarah Pucket is wide open jumping up and down begging for the ball. You could see the disappointment on her face and her energy just fall off a cliff.

Reaction Score
Good post.
I agree with you that Clark is much more like Ionescu than Arike or Mitchell, but all of them have at some point been singled out by posters here in some shape or form about being too ball dominant. I get it. There is some truth to it, but there is also the issue that if those players don't pull the trigger often their teams don't or didn't win. I try to not be too tough on players but know I've failed in that regard before.

Reaction Score
What if someone doesn't AGREE to disagree - but continues to disagree without agreement?

HMMMMMM.
Don't know. But, I agree. I think we just see many of the same things, just different ways to get there. I enjoyed the discussion.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Just a quick addendum about your excellent post, Dillon77: if memory serves, I recall that I thought while Clark earned the MVP for that US team, I felt Sonia Citron was the team's second-best player... and she's starting show that for your Irish. Olivia Miles is the 'name' player for ND but Citron is just so good.
Citron joined Clark on the All-Tournament Team (she was still 17). Citron -- or "Soni" as she's known by her teammates and fans -- does zounds of things for the Irish, but it's her innate ability to be on the same page with Miles that reminds me of what she and Clark did, together. Who knows where that comes from? She was a star soccer player in high school as well so maybe her sense of self and space benefitted from that, as well as hoops. (BTW, I thought she and Azzi Fudd also played well with each other.)

ND, another team with a short roster to begin with, has run into a rash of injuries recently (no, UConn fans, I'm not looking for sympathy, it's just a fact) with KK Bransford limping off the court last night (and she was the sub for Dara Mabrey). Coach Ivey has admitted she's leaning hard and harder on Miles and Citron.

Reaction Score
Don't know. But, I agree. I think we just see many of the same things, just different ways to get there. I enjoyed the discussion.
Me, too. It's great we have women's basketball played at a such a high level by so many young women.

Reaction Score
Citron joined Clark on the All-Tournament Team (she was still 17). Citron -- or "Soni" as she's known by her teammates and fans -- does zounds of things for the Irish, but it's her innate ability to be on the same page with Miles that reminds me of what she and Clark did, together. Who knows where that comes from? She was a star soccer player in high school as well so maybe her sense of self and space benefitted from that, as well as hoops. (BTW, I thought she and Azzi Fudd also played well with each other.)

ND, another team with a short roster to begin with, has run into a rash of injuries recently (no, UConn fans, I'm not looking for sympathy, it's just a fact) with KK Bransford limping off the court last night (and she was the sub for Dara Mabrey). Coach Ivey has admitted she's leaning hard and harder on Miles and Citron.
Sorry to hear about Bransford.

'Back to the Future,' as has been said, that future US team I was fantasizing about with Clark, Fudd and Bueckers could do much worse than have Citron as a running mate, too.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The stats you quote are inaccurate. She's 37% from 3 and 54% from 2. For comparison, the highly praised Lou Lopez Senechal is 48% from 2, 47% from 3, and Siegrist is 56% from 2 and 39% from 3. Clark has extremely good numbers.

I do agree she's more efficient when she takes the ball to the basket or pulls up from mid range. When she shoots midrange in rhythm, it's automatic. And she's a great finisher at the basket. What makes her so dangerous is she can knock down 3s from anywhere within half court, beat you off the dribble and is darn good at scoring from mid range and at the basket. If I'm a coach and have a limited supporting cast like Iowa does, I have absolutely no problem with her taking that many shots. Last night she missed a couple of layups/close range shots she normally hits, and I noticed after her collision with Moore-McNeil, she was short on a couple of 3 pointers when CMM closed out on her. It looked like she wasn't as focused/confident on those shots so I'm guessing the collision probably affected her focus.

The problem for Iowa is they effectively have 2 reliable options offensively in Clark/Czinano, and if Czinano is off they're quite beatable. Looking at the rest of the team, Warnock is a great role player in that she hits her open looks, rebounds and does her job well, but she isn't someone who takes a lot of shots or creates looks. She's never shown ability to be a go-to player or someone who will regularly take 10+ shots a game. When you watch her play you remember a shot or 2 going in and then look at the box score and are surprised to see she has a great statline. Gabby Marshall is a solid defender but offers very little offensively aside from knocking down open triples, which she has struggled with this season (30% FG, 25% from 3). Kate Martin similarly doesn't offer much offensively aside from being a 3 point threat and completing open looks or layups, often created by Clark. It's a limited roster and often times Clark taking 20+ shots is the team's best option.

Reaction Score
The stats you quote are inaccurate. She's 37% from 3 and 54% from 2. For comparison, the highly praised Lou Lopez Senechal is 48% from 2, 47% from 3, and Siegrist is 56% from 2 and 39% from 3. Clark has extremely good numbers.

I do agree she's more efficient when she takes the ball to the basket or pulls up from mid range. When she shoots midrange in rhythm, it's automatic. And she's a great finisher at the basket. What makes her so dangerous is she can knock down 3s from anywhere within half court, beat you off the dribble and is darn good at scoring from mid range and at the basket. If I'm a coach and have a limited supporting cast like Iowa does, I have absolutely no problem with her taking that many shots. Last night she missed a couple of layups/close range shots she normally hits, and I noticed after her collision with Moore-McNeil, she was short on a couple of 3 pointers when CMM closed out on her. It looked like she wasn't as focused/confident on those shots so I'm guessing the collision probably affected her focus.

The problem for Iowa is they effectively have 2 reliable options offensively in Clark/Czinano, and if Czinano is off they're quite beatable. Looking at the rest of the team, Warnock is a great role player in that she hits her open looks, rebounds and does her job well, but she isn't someone who takes a lot of shots or creates looks. She's never shown ability to be a go-to player or someone who will regularly take 10+ shots a game. When you watch her play you remember a shot or 2 going in and then look at the box score and are surprised to see she has a great statline. Gabby Marshall is a solid defender but offers very little offensively aside from knocking down open triples, which she has struggled with this season (30% FG, 25% from 3). Kate Martin similarly doesn't offer much offensively aside from being a 3 point threat and completing open looks or layups, often created by Clark. It's a limited roster and often times Clark taking 20+ shots is the team's best option.
These stats are moving targets. Lately, she has put up some big numbers. Lately. In the past few weeks, when I checked...she wasn't at 37% (and I don't consider that extremely good), and at least 3 other players were better. I'm not a numbers-only person. The point is she's significantly better from 2 (we agree on that)...so take more twos. She's no better or worse than the other 3 point shooters so let them take more...for 2 reasons. You just can't have spectators on your offense at the top level of competition. An uncontested 3 is a better shot than a 3/4 court 3 (unless your name is Steph Curry) and it would take some of the pressure off herself because the defense wouldn't cheat so much. There are many teams with two great offensive players, but can't recall many who cut down nets in March/April. And you yourself said...two others can knock down triples so keep the defense honest and give them a few more looks. Maybe they miss, but in the bigger picture...you have to cover them. And I would be okay with Clark taking 20 shots...just as long as 10 aren't 3s.

Reaction Score
Weren't there people saying IU is a fraud?? And shouldn't be the #2 team in the country?

Reaction Score

I wish I could have said it this well. I've tried and tried on various threads, probably to the dismay of some BYers. Whatever the case, ballnut90, you've explained Iowa's offense and Caitlin Clark's role in it very well. Thank you.

Sadly, even at that, I see LwrcasefaN has again interpreted numbers to support his case. I just wish he/she could produce the names of Iowa's rotation players who shoot better from three than Caitlin. Oh, well..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree. Though folks thought Nika was primarily a defensive player before this year. Maybe Gabbie doesn't have the same competitive fire Nika does. But whoever it is, we had these same conversations two years ago when Geno decided to move Paige "off the ball." It's a calculation, but it's based on his vision of the team and the game. Interestingly, last year, when Paige played, she was often at the point again.

Also agree about Martin's 15 minutes. But for that, the 2nd and 3rd quarters wouldn't have been nearly as competitive. This is also why I think a healthy UConn beats IU again this year. Now let's hope we're healthy enough to watch what promises to be a great game.

Also agree with this assessment. Gulbe was a solid partner to Holmes and I was worried they'd be diminished by her departure. But it seems to have inspired Holmes to up her game even further. They may be better without Gulbe than they were with her. I'm not sure what to make of the rest of the team. Garzon looks like a find, and Parrish and Scalia seem like good contributors. But last years group was a well-oiled machine, and they just don't feel like that to me... yet.
Disagree on this. Last year's squad struggled against Iowa, losing all three of their games. Moore-McNeil is much improved with Parrish and Scalia bringing a more consistent 3-point threat in comparison in my opinion. They're also have more length at the guard position as well which makes passing lanes harder for Iowa.

Reaction Score
Disagree on this. Last year's squad struggled against Iowa, losing all three of their games. Moore-McNeil is much improved with Parrish and Scalia bringing a more consistent 3-point threat in comparison in my opinion. They're also have more length at the guard position as well which makes passing lanes harder for Iowa.
Indiana looked composed and their offensive movement was very fluid. I was impressed.

Reaction Score
Weren't there people saying IU is a fraud?? And shouldn't be the #2 team in the country?
I haven't noticed that myself. I've heard that being said more in regards to OSU personally.

The impression I got from posters earlier in the season was that they're good, but wouldn't be able to compete against teams like Tennessee and UNC who were part of their non-conference schedule. So much for that :rolleyes:.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Was a fun game. Another observation the holding, grabbing that UConn went through against SC was not at this game, not even when Clark was off the ball and working to get open.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom