Is anyone else concerned? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Is anyone else concerned?

Reaction Score
Those are some powerhouse FBS.

that’s not good. These guys might be the best we get all year or indicative of what else is to come.
Jeez, Navy is a Top25 team in many preseason polls. So there‘s that. But again, we aren’t in the mix for 4-5 star guys. We are as we always have Ben recruiting mostly kids who are projects. A lot of these guys look like they have some talent but are not finished products. We’ll see. Top programs aren’t looking at them. I‘ll use Fincher as an example just because I knew a guy who was on the BC staff at the time. He recruited Fincher. Loved him Because he had size, speed and all the intangibles. But ultimately they didn’t offer because they had other guys who were more finished products. BC felt they would have to invest too much time and effort to teach him how to play linebacker. He was headed to New Hampshire until we signed him. He played 4 years for us and was all big East iirc. Now not all kids are that but he is an example of what we are after. Guys with an upside that bigger programs decide to pass on for whatever reason. Then you add the covid factor and the earlier recruiting season and it’s really hard to evaluate. If these are the best we get we can hope that they are better in person than on paper.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Member when we used to pride ourselves in beating Rutgers, BC, and Cuse for recruits?

I member.

We have to have a season where we win 5+ games to even begin to get back to there. And let's not inflate our memories (not saying you have per se), we beat those others schools only occasionally back in our Big East hay days and thats when we were on equal footing conference wise.

I'm not resigned to mediocrity, just being frank. There is a progression we will have to follow....no path to instant momentum.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We have to have a season where we win 5+ games to even begin to get back to there. And let's not inflate our memories (not saying you have per se), we beat those others schools only occasionally back in our Big East hay days and thats when we were on equal footing conference wise.

I'm not resigned to mediocrity, just being frank. There is a progression we will have to follow....no path to instant momentum.
Correct, just would like some sign of pulling out of a death spiral. Right now we are just convincing ourselves that *this* time will be different, despite recruiting at the same level of the last 5 years.

As a fan, of course I hope it is different this time. But I’ve seen this story play out far too often.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Correct, just would like some sign of pulling out of a death spiral. Right now we are just convincing ourselves that *this* time will be different, despite recruiting at the same level of the last 5 years.

As a fan, of course I hope it is different this time. But I’ve seen this story play out far too often.
There is no alternative. Ride the train or get off and look to reboard in December.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
That happened infrequently even when at our peak success, and it’s not happening now without a conference affiliation.
Oh of course. We are nowhere near that. But we sure loved comparable FBS offers when it suited us. Now for some reason they don’t matter.

Reaction Score
Oh of course. We are nowhere near that. But we sure loved comparable FBS offers when it suited us. Now for some reason they don’t matter.

Honestly don’t understand your point. I simply stated that even in our hay day we infrequently beat those schools for recruits.

Reaction Score
But we sure loved comparable FBS offers when it suited us. Now for some reason they don’t matter.

Strawman argument. You are actively complaining in a thread complaining about recruiting while simultaneously complaining that people no longer complain. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is a difficult topic. But it really needs to be discussed. About pretty much every recruit we are signing isn't clearly being recruited actively at FBS level. It's not a opinion, it's fact. Some of these guys aren't even holding offers from top FCS level programs.

Any kid who is playing at the FCS/FBS level is elite. They are standouts, every single one of them have highlight films that are the envy of most HS football players.

I get that Edsall is a good assessor of talent. I get that over a decade ago he found guys like Jasper Howard and Scott Lutrus. Players that panned out and would be right at home in any Top 10 Football Program. Recruits like that weren't the majority of the of the class. There were 2-3 of them at the most.

We also were at least beating out MAC level FBS programs. Maybe one or two of them had offers from a CAA school or two.

Pretty much every single recruit appears to be solid model citizens. But is this level of talent really going to get us back to being a 4,5,6 or 7 win team?

I hope I am wrong and totally off base. Maybe FBS offers will roll in later for these guys and we will still keep their commitments.

But, I'm really, really skeptical at this point. Convince me I am wrong.
Iam a big sports fan almost any sport and I really hate to say this but Uconn does not belong in football.Think about it who would want to come to Uconn what do we offer.The good players come to a school as a stepping stone to the NFL.They go to a power 5 school to showcase there skills and play better competition .and get drafted higher.Better everything,better coaches,better conference in the end we have a hard time getting by lower grade schools

Reaction Score
I think people may be surprised at the number of kids Edsall has brought in here after 1/17 with P5 and AAC level offers and recruiting needs to improve.

Reaction Score

You are describing mild insanity. I don’t see anything that indicates things will improve.

Reaction Score
This was RE's mo his 1st time around-getting quality kids with a good academic background and building them up. He is not in a position to turn many down. He will get another year because this one will probably be cancelled.

Reaction Score
Iam a big sports fan almost any sport and I really hate to say this but Uconn does not belong in football.Think about it who would want to come to Uconn what do we offer.The good players come to a school as a stepping stone to the NFL.They go to a power 5 school to showcase there skills and play better competition .and get drafted higher.Better everything,better coaches,better conference in the end we have a hard time getting by lower grade schools
You understand there are players stock piled on benches that at best won’t see more than special teams work and better than we can recruit from HS. Got to exploit the portal. There are tons of disaffected kids on these rosters that would love PT . Some love wearing the logo more than playing time. But, many are pissed and looking for a shot. We have to be much better poachers.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Honestly don’t understand your point. I simply stated that even in our hay day we infrequently beat those schools for recruits.
Strawman argument. You are actively complaining in a thread complaining about recruiting while simultaneously complaining that people no longer complain. :confused:
There is no straw man argument. There’s no active complaining. There’s just facts that when you recruit FCS kids you get FCS results. You can agree or disagree I really dgaf. I’ve been as big a supporter of football as possible since graduating UConn in 2001. I thought Pasqualoni could run the table in year 3. I thought Diaco’s zaniness would work out. Guess what? Facts don’t back that up. And the facts aren’t kind to Randy v2. So - back to the OP and the point of this thread - of course I’m concerned about where our recruiting is at. I’d love more than anyone to be wrong. But y’all can go ahead with the positive vibes only tour and we’ll see how that goes. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here is the deal with offers...too early to worry about that. If a player doesn’t have any fbs offers in December and signs, that is an issue. But, in May?

That player may have not camped yet at other schools and doesn’t have senior year film yet. I wouldn’t worry about the amount of offers or quality in May when UConn offers. December? Then That means you are on your plan b,c and d and might be over reaching.

UConn clearly wants these players.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
But y’all can go ahead with the positive vibes only tour and we’ll see how that goes. Good luck.

What I dont understand about the "frank" crowd is the POV which seems to come along with it that this board some how needs to wake up. Wake up to what? The situation is abundantly obvious to the vast majority of Yarders who just decide to shelf the negative vibes and look for the positive because again - nothing is changing until the end of the season.

AD David Benedict is giving Edsall 4 years, and probably 5 and you know the reason why.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But y’all can go ahead with the positive vibes only tour and we’ll see how that goes. Good luck.
It's May and HCRE isn't going anywhere today. So right now, one has a choice. One can root for the team to have a good year and HCRE is likely retained. Or one can root against the team and Edsall gets canned. Then we get another guy and then we gotta give him four years so he can get his guys in. Rinse. Repeat. Our best outcome is for the team to show some life this year and win all the winnable games. If you are resigned to root against the team, why bother?

Reaction Score
What I dont understand about the "frank" crowd is the POV which seems to come along with it that this board some how needs to wake up. Wake up to what? The situation is abundantly obvious to the vast majority of Yarders who just decide to shelf the negative vibes and look for the positive because again - nothing is changing until the end of the season.

AD David Benedict is giving Edsall 4 years, and probably 5 and you know the reason why.

Amen. You are dominating this thread BTW. Nice work.

Reaction Score
There is no straw man argument.

The strawman argument is that we would no longer "love" a recruit with major FBS offers. Bullcrap. Sign me up for some recruits with major FBS offers. I'm sure Randy would love it too.

I bet Medic could give us a long and current list of kids Randy has offered that have major FBS offers.

Do you think your active complaining about the coach is more likely to encourage or discourage those kids from coming here knowing that they do in fact read social media.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's May and HCRE isn't going anywhere today. So right now, one has a choice. One can root for the team to have a good year and HCRE is likely retained. Or one can root against the team and Edsall gets canned. Then we get another guy and then we gotta give him four years so he can get his guys in. Rinse. Repeat. Our best outcome is for the team to show some life this year and win all the winnable games. If you are resigned to root against the team, why bother?
Who on earth said anything about rooting against the team?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The strawman argument is that we would no longer "love" a recruit with major FBS offers. Bullcrap. Sign me up for recruits with major FBS offers. I sure Randy would love it too.

I bet Medic could give us a long list of kids Randy has offered that have major FBS offers right now.
That’s not what I was saying at all.

Reaction Score

What is abundantly obvious is that you guys are not getting enough oxygen in your brains.

Based on what we are seeing UConn Football is on track to discover new lows in the very near future.

It’s like your house is in fire and you won’t start worrying about it until the Fire Department shows up.

Reaction Score
don’t be a baby. Schools are talking about having just the athletes come back to school. Stop buying into the shame of amateurism. The critique isn’t even really of the players it’s of the professional coach who is god awful at his job. Stop bringing in kids who don’t belong at this level

Just what schools are talking about having just the athletes come back to school? All the articles I've seen say "no students on campus, no sports".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom