Is anyone else concerned? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is anyone else concerned?

Reaction Score
I don’t understand what you think is new about your commentary....

Listen, the game never stops. Therefore it's fair to judge everything this program does regardless of whether or its the part of the year where we play games. Right now we are seeing 1-10 type recruiting results.

We wouldn't even have been a good FCS team last season. This is not being flip. We are recruiting at an FCS level and getting FCS performance on the field.

No we understand that you want to ride your fantasy off the cliff. We're telling you that you went off the cliff quite some time ago.

Reaction Score
This isn’t Edsall taking 2 and 3 star recruits and coaching them up.

this is Edsall “attempting” to win FBS games with an FCS roster. It’s an impossibility.

it’s not diminishing returns; it’s that the returns have totally evaporated.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Its cumulative.

the commentary is that Edsall needs to go.

the sport has passed him by.
Hurray - enjoy the thread... totally new discussion!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This isn’t Edsall taking 2 and 3 star recruits and coaching them up.

this is Edsall “attempting” to win FBS games with an FCS roster. It’s an impossibility.

it’s not finishing returns; it’s that the returns have totally evaporated.
So that leaves nothing to discuss. Good talk.

Reaction Score
Hurray - enjoy the thread... totally new discussion!

What other discussion is there to be had?

how many points Indiana is going to destroy us by?

Reaction Score
Some of us know we're recruiting at the C-USA/Sun Belt/service academy level right now. Army did win games, however, and they play as an independent. This program is still in rebuild mode. What we need is a dynamic QB that can lead us to wins. And a coach who knows offense. Edsall probably has a leash of 2 years now to show improvement. Apart from that, we have plenty of resources to find another coach.

Reaction Score
Recruiting has changed. In RE 1 I doubt we had a single commitment in May unless it was a late signing for the upcoming season. Now you get guys to commit BEFORE their senior year. Add the covid 19 impact and the fact that we always recruited at the margins anyway and I’m not overly worried. I suspect we might be trying to protect a couple of these kids come December. And we only need a couple of guys to turn into Lutrus or Fincher. A few from each class. Which we have been missing

Reaction Score
Not reading all the posts.

Put me in category of OP being a maron.

At least three of the commits had multiple FBS offers.

Dumb thread

Those are some powerhouse FBS.

Recruiting has changed. In RE 1 I doubt we had a single commitment in May unless it was a late signing for the upcoming season. Now you get guys to commit BEFORE their senior year. Add the covid 19 impact and the fact that we always recruited at the margins anyway and I’m not overly worried. I suspect we might be trying to protect a couple of these kids come December. And we only need a couple of guys to turn into Lutrus or Fincher. A few from each class. Which we have been missing

that’s not good. These guys might be the best we get all year or indicative of what else is to come.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Those are some powerhouse FBS.

that’s not good. These guys might be the best we get all year or indicative of what else is to come.

Concession fully acknowledged.

Goal post moved.

Fall on your sword and rot away.

All but one verbal has multiple FBS offers.

Reaction Score
Concession fully acknowledged.

Goal post moved.

Fall on your sword and rot away.

All but one verbal has multiple FBS offers.

The goal posts haven’t moved. Try reading before you counter, look before you leap Seaman.

Reaction Score
I understand the point, but I’m trying to find things to be optimistic about these days and not just UCFB, so ....

we have 5 recruits,2 of whom are rated 3 stars by services that want nothing to do with promoting us

no camps or 7-on-7s are happening, which has changed everything in terms of recruiting.

we have a tough story to sell - bad decade, no conf., no bowl tie in, no good press

we have no reason for FL or TX kids to come here and yet we have. And add in a local speedster.

there’s stuff to be concerned about these days. These 5 kids should not make your top 25

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We are doing a poor job using the portal to pick up P5 grade talent. It’s the fastest way to reverse direction. Lower the admission standards, promise immediate play time and watch what happens. Tulane used the portal with great results. Our guy is still recruiting in the PA rust belt looking for lunch pail Jimmies in the mills.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
We are doing a poor job using the portal to pick up P5 grade talent. It’s the fastest way to reverse direction. Lower the admission standards, promise immediate play time and watch what happens. Tulane used the portal with great results. Our guy is still recruiting in the PA rust belt looking for lunch pail Jimmies in the mills.

I agree with this.

why/how would we be able to recruit at the P5 level right now? I’m just happy we have some 3-star commits that flash on tape, and are from high schools in the likes of TX/FL, plus a local kid to boot...

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Its not pro sports - so it is indeed a true why bother. Stick to pro sports if you want a fan environment that supports negative energy. College athletics isn't the place.

don’t be a baby. Schools are talking about having just the athletes come back to school. Stop buying into the shame of amateurism. The critique isn’t even really of the players it’s of the professional coach who is god awful at his job. Stop bringing in kids who don’t belong at this level

Reaction Score
After the last 3+ years it should be clear to everyone that if you recruit an entire roster of kids with FCS/low FBS Offers you are going to lose 7-10 games and find yourself battling teams like Maine late in the 4th Quarter.

Other than blind optimism, what reason is there to believe that the same level of recruiting by the same coaches will bring different on field results in the future? I just can’t see it.

Randy will still land a few under recruited Cam Ross Types every class who eventually play on Sundays, that said his overall recruiting pitch and on field coaching style falls flat.

There should be no reason that a program offering the football facilities, name brand recognition, and overall degree value of a school like UConn should be recruiting at a Conference USA or Sunbelt Level. It may currently be even below that. Something has to change...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We should clearly be beating out other fbs programs and pulling in top talent with our recent success. Just doesn’t make any sense.

Edsall is stubborn to a fault but I trust his eye for talent given what we have to work with at this point. I also predict that these recruits people are distraught by right now will have name brand offers coming their way in the future ....but will the worriers tune change?

Reaction Score
We should clearly be beating out other fbs programs and pulling in top talent with our recent success. Just doesn’t make any sense.

Edsall is stubborn to a fault but I trust his eye for talent given what we have to work with at this point. I also predict that these recruits people are distraught by right now will have name brand offers coming their way in the future ....but will the worriers tune change?

And if they get better offers & dump UConn, the concerned will still blame Edsall. It's a no-win situation for the concerned.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
don’t be a baby. Schools are talking about having just the athletes come back to school. Stop buying into the shame of amateurism. The critique isn’t even really of the players it’s of the professional coach who is god awful at his job. Stop bringing in kids who don’t belong at this level
Boy this will be so cathartic, let’s start ripping it up.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
How did you descend so far into denial?
I’m not in denial. I see no point in having the same discussions that have been had the past three seasons until we see what happens on the field this year. I do choose to find silver linings where I can as a fan and supporter of the program. The next window to make a coaching change is mid November to mid December 2020. I see zero gained and all pain talking about any change until we get to that window. Recruiting is a sales business and I see absolutely nothing good for prospects and their parents when we are slaying the recruiting results 5 kids into a 20-25 man class. Lets get to 12 or so kids before we unleash “frank” discussion. Looking at the fiscal problems in this state you have to wonder how many coaching changes are left for this program anyway.

Reaction Score
Recruiting IS what builds a program.

And it doesn't happen overnight. There is a build up...a decent class, then a little better class, then a better class.....a bellwether recruit or two that draw attention will help.

Three good classes allows for more wins which makes bringing another good class easier....it's like a train leaving the station and once speed is built up, it is easier to maintain.

Clickety clack, clickety clack.

Reaction Score
Edsall does have some disadvantages to work with in recruiting.

1....Brand and tradition
......UConn is still a new guy on the block when it comes to FBS football. When you say "UConn", high school kids aren't yet thinking "good football school". But it can turn around. It is analogous to southern football schools that have been attempting to build basketball programs. Recruits didn't think..."oh, a good basketball school".

2....Local Recruiting area
.....There aren't a bunch of 4 star athletes in the region who have grown up as UConn football fans. Edsall must cast the net where there are fish.

3.....The Coach as Salesman
.....There can be a "Elmer Gantry" effect. Some energetic coaches have been able to sell their vision like Gantry sold religion to small town America. Dabo is one of those type recruiters.

.....A test of this will be BC's new hire, Jeff Hafley. At Ohio State he was recognized as a top recruiter and loaded up the team with a national list of talents from New Jersey, Texas, Florida, etc. Can he sell at Boston College? It won't be as easy as at OSU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom