Is anyone else concerned? | The Boneyard

Is anyone else concerned?

Reaction Score
This is a difficult topic. But it really needs to be discussed. About pretty much every recruit we are signing isn't clearly being recruited actively at FBS level. It's not a opinion, it's fact. Some of these guys aren't even holding offers from top FCS level programs.

Any kid who is playing at the FCS/FBS level is elite. They are standouts, every single one of them have highlight films that are the envy of most HS football players.

I get that Edsall is a good assessor of talent. I get that over a decade ago he found guys like Jasper Howard and Scott Lutrus. Players that panned out and would be right at home in any Top 10 Football Program. Recruits like that weren't the majority of the of the class. There were 2-3 of them at the most.

We also were at least beating out MAC level FBS programs. Maybe one or two of them had offers from a CAA school or two.

Pretty much every single recruit appears to be solid model citizens. But is this level of talent really going to get us back to being a 4,5,6 or 7 win team?

I hope I am wrong and totally off base. Maybe FBS offers will roll in later for these guys and we will still keep their commitments.

But, I'm really, really skeptical at this point. Convince me I am wrong.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We are priming the pump. We will have a class that is 18 to 22 kids this year. Lets get 5-10 kids on board to get the juices flowing then worry about rounding out the class with more coveted pieces. That's my simple view.

Tracey and Modeste were destine for more G5 offers had the process gone on. Its May.

I think we get a class up to 7 - 12 ish going into fall and save the balance of the slots for senior tape. So many very talented kids have yet to surface.

Reaction Score
Need to get through this BOT UConn budgeting challenge....thats the real area of concern.

I get that, but recruits with this profile usually aren't our bread and butter and now that appears to be the case. Shovels are great. But you can't build the Panama Canal with one. You don't even want to dig a hole in the ground for a pool with one.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I get that, but recruits with this profile usually aren't our bread and butter and now that appears to be the case. Shovels are great. But you can't build the Panama Canal with one. You don't even want to dig a hole in the ground for a pool with one.
Its May.....and what I mean by that is that some of these guys would end up with a lot more offers by December.

Reaction Score
Its May.....and what I mean by that is that some of these guys would end up with a lot more offers by December.

Yes. And we've loaded up on a certain profile already.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yes. And we've loaded up on a certain profile already.

Just have to see where we stand by August. We do need to win some recruiting battles against other G5 and low P5 offers. Guys like Modeste and Tracey were certain to have a good G5 offer list if it played out.

Reaction Score
Background.

1.) Justin Cayenne (DE/TE):
Current FBS Offers - Air Force, Army, ArkState, BGSU Marshall, South Alabama ,UConn
Current FCS Offers - Austin Peay, Brown, Bryant, Campbell, Cornell, EKU, ETSU, Fordham, Gardner-Webb, Lafayette, New Hampshire, Penn, Richmond,, Tennessee-Martin, Western Carolina

2.) Pryce Yates (DL)
Current FBS Offers - Air Force, UConn
Current FBS Offers - Abilene Christian, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Incarnate, Lamar, Penn, Princeton, Yale

3.) Maxwell Modeste (RB):
Current FBS Offers - Air Force, Navy, UConn
Current FCS Offers - Columbia, Dartmouth, Penn, Princeton

4.) Femi Sakiri (OL/DL):
Current FBS Offers - UConn
Current FCS Offers - Bryant

5.) Joshua Tracey (WR/DB):
Current FBS Offers - Army, UConn
Current FCS Offers - Albany, Elon, Fordham, Maine, Monmouth, Richmond, Stony Brook

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It's fair to question the credentials of the recruits...but the fact that it's early gives me hope. If we were late in the recruiting cycle it could reek of desperation...at this stage the hope is as E4 says...the FBS offers will come later in the process.

I hope this staff is as good as RE 1.0 staffs with finding quality FBS kids.

Reaction Score
Background.

1.) Justin Cayenne (DE/TE):
Current FBS Offers - Air Force, Army, ArkState, BGSU Marshall, South Alabama ,UConn
Current FCS Offers - Austin Peay, Brown, Bryant, Campbell, Cornell, EKU, ETSU, Fordham, Gardner-Webb, Lafayette, New Hampshire, Penn, Richmond,, Tennessee-Martin, Western Carolina

2.) Pryce Yates (DL)
Current FBS Offers - Air Force, UConn
Current FBS Offers - Abilene Christian, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Incarnate, Lamar, Penn, Princeton, Yale

3.) Maxwell Modeste (RB):
Current FBS Offers - Air Force, Navy, UConn
Current FCS Offers - Columbia, Dartmouth, Penn, Princeton

4.) Femi Sakiri (OL/DL):
Current FBS Offers - UConn
Current FCS Offers - Bryant

5.) Joshua Tracey (WR/DB):
Current FBS Offers - Army, UConn
Current FCS Offers - Albany, Elon, Fordham, Maine, Monmouth, Richmond, Stony Brook

These guys seem like great young men. But there is a very clear trend there.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

CL82

Reaction Score
These guys seem like great young men. But there is a very clear trend there.
You're not wrong. We need to win to change it.

Reaction Score
Every UCONN football fan is concerned. We're going on 9 years of being concerned.

I still trust Edsall's eye for talent. These recruits haven't played their senior season yet. More offers will be coming their way and we'll certainly have to fight to keep some of them. Getting them on board early is a good strategy.

Reaction Score
You're not wrong. We need to win to change it.

This is all about recruiting. You need better recruits to win. We need to develop those recruits when they get here. But they need to be at higher starting point than what we have brought in previously the day they get on campus.

I just think we are trying to be positive and ignoring some glaringly obvious red flags.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I just think we are trying to be positive and ignoring some glaringly obvious red flags.

This is amateur athletics. We dont have cash to offer, we have community. You support the community or sit on your hands.

The time to undermine the program and its coaching is this fall when we are losing games.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is all about recruiting. You need better recruits to win. We need to develop those recruits when they get here. But they need to be at higher starting point than what we have brought in previously the day they get on campus.

Chicken and the egg (or maybe Catch 22?). We need to win to get better recruits to win but we need to win to get better recruits.

Reaction Score
This is amateur athletics. We dont have cash to offer, we have community. You support the community or sit on your hands.

The time to undermine the program and its coaching is this fall when we are losing games.

It would be impossible to undermine this program more than it already has been. I don't see any recruits being badmouthed. Recruits like this have always had a place here.

I don't think this discussion is damaging. Is there a place on the Internet where it's possible to have a frank discussion on the state of things?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Zoo why bother lol.
Its not pro sports - so it is indeed a true why bother. Stick to pro sports if you want a fan environment that supports negative energy. College athletics isn't the place.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom