Is alterique taking part of senior night? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is alterique taking part of senior night?

Reaction Score
Umm thanks kathy but I didn’t mean good i'm glad he’s leaving. I’m just glad he’s participating in senior night and has some clarity regarding his future. as a matter of fact i'm skeptical hurley can find someone better than him to come off the bench in the backcourt next year
From AG’s prospective
We have Cole, plus an experienced Gaffney, That moves him to third on the depth chart . I think it’s a difficult but really no brainer decision.
From a UConn prospective Hurley would love the insurance . He is not getting a better third guard especially one who could get in your face like him for a one year deal.
The reality is if he wants a pro career he should go somewhere where he can get 30 minutes a game next year and see if he can get back to where he was. As much has Hurley loves him he would be disingenuous if he told that was available here

Reaction Score
The reality is if he wants a pro career he should go somewhere where he can get 30 minutes a game next year and see if he can get back to where he was. As much has Hurley loves him he would be disingenuous if he told that was available here

This. He’s earned the right to move on with a UConn degree in hand and go to school closer to home and his family to try and end his college experience on a high note. I would love for him to stay for his 5th year, but if he clearly will have to take a backseat and play a further diminished role no one should fault him for taking advantage of the opportunities he has after all he’s been through.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Really happy for Gilbert. He's getting a degree from a really good institution. I'm sure he and his family are very proud of that accomplishment. Al deserves to get recognized.

The kid never quit in spite of all the medical set backs. Wish I could say the same for some fans who quit on him.

I hope he and the team finish strong.

Reaction Score
A little surprised that AG does not wanna experience the big East next year- he’s got the next 50 years to join the workforce - I have a feeling when he’s 40 years old he’s going to look back on it and regret not staying one more year

If he leaves it's not like he's going to be selling insurance next year. He's going to be able to focus 100% of his time and energy on basketball, work out with a trainer for a couple months, and play professionally somewhere, whether it's in the G League or overseas. I have no insight into what he's going to do, and personally I'd like to see him back next year as part of a team that can really do some damage, but sometimes a chance to refresh and recharge with a change of scenery is not the worst thing in the world. Great kid though, I wish him nothing but the best. Kid has been through a lot.

Reaction Score
I would want him back with the understanding that the top two point guards are going to get the bulk of the minutes. If we're just now starting to see him turn the corner towards a version his former self, there's no reason Gilbert shouldn't be allowed to compete for that distinction.

Gaffney had played well for a freshman. I know we're all hopeful we see a sophomore jump from him after an off-season of strength and conditioning, but he isn't guaranteed anything.

Reaction Score
From AG’s prospective
We have Cole, plus an experienced Gaffney, That moves him to third on the depth chart . I think it’s a difficult but really no brainer decision.
From a UConn prospective Hurley would love the insurance . He is not getting a better third guard especially one who could get in your face like him for a one year deal.

Sorry but a summer off, a better focus on the task at hand and better decision making he's at least our 2nd best point guard. It's not automatic he's #3 because with better decisions he's better than Gaffney and it's not really that close. But reality is he didn't make better decisions, he didn't shoot it well (but neither did your #2) and if that stays the same then yes you are correct he's 3.

Reaction Score
he goes to a big time program for the experience. Maybe even to uga to be closer to home but I think some blue blood. Just not cuse ot gtown
Why go from one big time program to another? Don't you think we are big time?

Reaction Score
Sorry but a summer off, a better focus on the task at hand and better decision making he's at least our 2nd best point guard. It's not automatic he's #3 because with better decisions he's better than Gaffney and it's not really that close. But reality is he didn't make better decisions, he didn't shoot it well (but neither did your #2) and if that stays the same then yes you are correct he's 3.

Gaffney is already better and Cole is far better. There wouldn't be many minutes for AG at point guard. I think he is best suited for a John Gwynn type role, whether that be here or elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Because his handle has looked shaky? I'm just guessing here.
It really hasn't though, he's playing with a messed up hand and still takes care of the ball better than anyone on the team and plays point better than anyone on the team.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
It really hasn't though, he's playing with a messed up hand and still takes care of the ball better than anyone on the team and plays point better than anyone on the team.
Shaky handle and taking care of the ball are two different things.

AG turns the ball over way too much and makes poor decisions, but has a great handle and can get past anyone one on one in the half court and the open floor.

Gaff is almost the opposite.

The difference is with Gaff you’ve seen improvement this year and he’s young with a lot of potential for big time improved results.

With Gilbert you can hope the improvements come but four years of history says that he is largely who he is for better or worse.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
There’s no JUCO point guard.

The plan all along- from everybody on all sides- was for this to be Alterique’s final year in college ball anywhere. He hasn’t had quite the season he expected, but that doesn’t necessarily change the plan. The coach is behind him 100% and if Alterique said he wanted to come back, he’d be on the team next season. Anyone listening and watching what Hurley does knows that.

Recruiting never stops. They recruited last year for a spot that never opened up, but that doesn’t change the approach.

I really appreciate your posts. Thank you.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

He isnt flashy with a low dribble, I guess is what people see. I see that despite that, the defense doesn’t take the ball from him. He shields the ball pretty well.

Reaction Score
Sorry if this causes you any angst @bendm.
Here's hoping AG stays.
you cause me. angst
PS- what is your profile picture of? is that you singing karaoke?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom