Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Both Louisville and WVU were desperation moves. Neither addition was part of a well planned and executed strategy. As far as I can discern, the Big12, like the ACC has no apparent guiding mission statement. The objective of the B12 can be summed up as "Don't piss Texas off." I don't think the ACC has yet replaced their old objective of "Kill the Big East." The ACC used about a 5 minute time horizon to judge the value of a 50 year commitment to its newest member.

Again, the ACC is not exercising strategic thinking. I've asked several times for the ACC's vision statement as articulated by its commissioner. I'm spending a relaxing, if uninteresting day, enjoying the crickets. Strategies attempt to optimize the whole, not particular subsets. If the ACC were simply asking of the candidates to replace Maryland, "What have you done lately?" Louisville was a fine selection. Unless someone connected with the conference identifies its goals, nobody can reasonably estimate the wisdom of the Cardinals addition.

How about add another school with a strong athletic department from an overlapping state with a SEC team where a great season ending football matchup can take place as well as create another strong ACC-SEC basketball matchup. It works well in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. Look at Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana, and Texas to see if one can be identified.

Reaction Score
This is irrelevant. We're talking about ND marketing itself. The huge population centers are not fans of the regional/limited schools that the ACC has chosen to affiliate itself with. You guys are taking very small slivers of the pie. Very small.

They are fans of Notre Dame, and Notre Dame will be able to play ACC conference football games right in those places if they join the ACC. I can make an argument for adding Temple too to put them right in the Linc to pull from that local market. It's the rest of the ACC that probably doesn't want to play Temple in football regularly.

Reaction Score
The ACC has Bostonians? Really? Peter Gammons said the town is awash with Uconn right now, not paying much attention to Yanks-Red Sox. And Pitt hardly brings out the Pitters in Pitt, never mind the Pennsylvanians. There's a school a bit further east that does it for PA. Not sure why a few hundred Duke students are being compared to 40,000 Rutgers students.
LOL yup-its a wash.......with Runners training for the B.M., families clad in Sox gear, and student wearing sweatshirts of B.C., Harvard, N.U.,B.U., MIT, Wentworth, Emerson, and so on and so on. I was at a packed Clery's Irish Pub on Clarendon St/Columbus Ave last night watching the Sox/Yankees. I have lived/worked in Boston for the past 25 years two blocks from Copley and I assure you it is the same scene it is every year just before the impending Marathon. Did I miss something? Thanks for letting me know whats hot in the Bean at the moment.

Reaction Score
"Old punching bags"? ND's lifetime record against BC is 13-9. A decided edge for ND to be sure, but BC has hardly been a "punching bag" for them.
Haha. I hadn't realized the "rivalry" didn't go back further. So, fair enough. But BC is not as impressive or intimidating as USC, Michigan, Michigan State...and even recently, Stanford. So while I perhaps overstated my point with "punching bag," my basic point that ND would have the advantage of having some easier games against teams that they have historic relationships with is still true.

Reaction Score
LOL yup-its a wash..with Runners training for the B.M., families clad in Sox gear, and student wearing sweatshirts of B.C., Harvard, N.U.,B.U., MIT, Wentworth, Emerson, and so on and so on. I was at a packed Clery's Irish Pub on Clarendon St/Columbus Ave last night watching the Sox/Yankees. I have lived/worked in Boston for the past 25 years two blocks from Copley and I assure you it is the same scene it is every year just before the impending Marathon. Did I miss something? Thanks for letting me know whats hot in the Bean at the moment.
Yeah...I love UConn, and there is a presence here...but mostly among former CT residents or UConn alum. It's sizable enough to take over some bars when the tournament is on, but I'm not sure who Gammons is talking to. UConn doesn't really move the needle much. To be fair, neither does BC (other than hockey).

Reaction Score
How about add another school with a strong athletic department from an overlapping state with a SEC team where a great season ending football matchup can take place as well as create another strong ACC-SEC basketball matchup. It works well in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. Look at Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana, and Texas to see if one can be identified.
I can see you are warming to the notion that a mission statement truly is needed. Your initial attempt is too narrowly focused to serve, however. How, for example, did the addition of BC support adding schools with strong athletic departments? How did Pitt and Cuse represent additions from states with overlapping SEC teams? I suspect the reason Swofford doesn't offer one is that trying to explain how his expansion moves match his mission would be about as difficult as trying to explain the motion of heavenly bodies once one hypothesizes the earth is the center of the universe.

Reaction Score
Haha. I hadn't realized the "rivalry" didn't go back further. So, fair enough. But BC is not as impressive or intimidating as USC, Michigan, Michigan State...and even recently, Stanford. So while I perhaps overstated my point with "punching bag," my basic point that ND would have the advantage of having some easier games against teams that they have historic relationships with is still true.

tzznandreww - I never said that a BC series was as impressive to ND fans as the Stanford, Michigan, or Michigans State series. It is not. But that wasn't your point in the OP. My limited comment was refuting your statement that BC FB has been a "punching bag" for ND when, clearly, it has not been.

Reaction Score

Notre Dame gets to keep its historic rivalries with Pittsburgh and Boston College, and Notre Dame gets to restore two from yesteryear in Miami and Georgia Tech to replace Michigan and Michigan State.

Reaction Score
I can see you are warming to the notion that a mission statement truly is needed. Your initial attempt is too narrowly focused to serve, however. How, for example, did the addition of BC support adding schools with strong athletic departments? How did Pitt and Cuse represent additions from states with overlapping SEC teams? I suspect the reason Swofford doesn't offer one is that trying to explain how his expansion moves match his mission would be about as difficult as trying to explain the motion of heavenly bodies once one hypothesizes the earth is the center of the universe.

The ACC is in three regions (Northeast, Mid Atlantic, and South). The Pitt Cuse additions were in the Northeast part and driven largely by the Tobacco Road basketball interests. When Maryland left, the southern schools of the ACC wanted their opportunity to pick, and they selected Louisville for the reasons I stated. And Louisville's basketball wasn't so bad that the Tobacco Road folks could object like the could on USF or UCF. The Tobacco Road folks do still like UConn, and if expansion fever returns and UConn is still in the AAC, UConn will be seriously considered.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will never join the Big Ten. In fact, Notre Dame is removing Big Ten schools from their football schedules for the next decade right as we are having this conversation.
Exactly.

Reaction Score
btstimpy said:
The ACC is in three regions (Northeast, Mid Atlantic, and South). The Pitt Cuse additions were in the Northeast part and driven largely by the Tobacco Road basketball interests. When Maryland left, the southern schools of the ACC wanted their opportunity to pick, and they selected Louisville for the reasons I stated. And Louisville's basketball wasn't so bad that the Tobacco Road folks could object like the could on USF or UCF. The Tobacco Road folks do still like UConn, and if expansion fever returns and UConn is still in the AAC, UConn will be seriously considered.

Except neither Syracuse nor Pitt is located the north east...

Reaction Score
How in the world was the ACC adding Louisville anything like the Big 12 adding WVU? Is Louisville 1000 miles from the closest ACC school? Is it in an entirely different time zone from the rest of the conference? Does Louisville have 0 history with all the other schools in the conference?

Maybe you don't know geography well, but in that sense what Louisville did for the ACC is make ND linked directly to the heart of the ACC.

What? Louisville is nearly the maximum length of Indiana from South Bend. At 4 hours, 20 minutes, the linking effect you mention is only relative to Louisville's general isolation from the ACC. Virginia Tech is the next nearest neighbor at 6 hours, 13 minutes. http://cardinalsportszone.com/2012/11/28/distance-from-louisville-to-acc-schools/

Compare that to having over half of the Big Ten within the same 4 hours, 20 minutes of Notre Dame (Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Ohio State, Wisconsin). There's some geography for ya.

Reaction Score
The ACC has Bostonians? Really? Peter Gammons said the town is awash with Uconn right now, not paying much attention to Yanks-Red Sox.

Silly stuff huh ? I like Peter Gammons, but theRed Sox - Yankees games this weekend will blow out the Boston TV watching audience numbers for the Uconn basketball games on TV last week. I mean I get the love you have for Uconn, , ( and the hate for BC) and all, but lets not go completely overboard here. Boston is a pro sports town, and most casual sports fans in this region consider the college game as the minor leagues, with amateurs playing these games ( which basically, they are ).

Reaction Score
Yeah...I love UConn, and there is a presence here...but mostly among former CT residents or UConn alum. It's sizable enough to take over some bars when the tournament is on, but I'm not sure who Gammons is talking to. UConn doesn't really move the needle much. To be fair, neither does BC (other than hockey).
I think we can agree on this ....BIG pie....LOTS of slices

Reaction Score
It was the faculty senate that voted in favor of Big Ten membership, not the entire administration. Malloy .
True... and also, if a school's " faculty Senate " input ever counted for anything, this website ( and most other major college teams websites ) wouldn't exist, as none of these football programs we are discussing today would exist. So we all should be able to agree here that whatever the college professors vote is, at any of these schools, it isn't worth diddly squat in any of this.

Reaction Score
tzznandreww - I never said that a BC series was as impressive to ND fans as the Stanford, Michigan, or Michigans State series. It is not. But that wasn't your point in the OP. My limited comment was refuting your statement that BC FB has been a "punching bag" for ND when, clearly, it has not been.
Right. My point had very little to do with BC at all. It was that I think ultimately ND will join the ACC, if forced by conference realignment, largely because there are some teams they have historically played in the ACC, and those teams aren't that challenging in relation to parts of their schedule they dropped. Hence, I said punching bags...and you, rightly, corrected me, but it doesn't invalidate my larger point.

Reaction Score
Right. My point had very little to do with BC at all. It was that I think ultimately ND will join the ACC, if forced by conference realignment, largely because there are some teams they have historically played in the ACC, and those teams aren't that challenging in relation to parts of their schedule they dropped. Hence, I said punching bags...and you, rightly, corrected me, but it doesn't invalidate my larger point.

Agreed, tzznandrew. Good points.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame gets to keep its historic rivalries with Pittsburgh and Boston College, and Notre Dame gets to restore two from yesteryear in Miami and Georgia Tech to replace Michigan and Michigan State.
It's why I think it could happen. But, if the P5 doesn't force ND into a conference, the ACC better be ready for the wheeling and backstabbing ND will do to ensure it's indepedence is preserved.

Reaction Score
It's why I think it could happen. But, if the P5 doesn't force ND into a conference, the ACC better be ready for the wheeling and backstabbing ND will do to ensure it's indepedence is preserved.

I've been warned many times. But so far there hasn't been any issues with ND. We start the football rotations this coming season. I don't expect any change in ND's relationship with the ACC until we get through at least 2 rotations which will be 6 years from now. ND also has a bunch of contracted games with teams up through 2022, so they couldn't join fully now if they wanted to without breaking those contracts.

Reaction Score
It looks like they qualify to me. http://www.eduplace.com/ss/maps/pdf/ne_us.pdf
It looks like they qualify to me. http://www.eduplace.com/ss/maps/pdf/ne_us.pdf

When people think of the Northeast, particularly in terms of markets and $, they think of the Northeastern Megalopolis (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_megalopolis), not Western PA and Upstate NY, the latter of which has been in a virtual depression for 20 years. Note that MD, Rutgers and UConn are in said megalopolis while Pitt and Syracuse are not.

Reaction Score
I have heard this from ND fans. I admire how your administration keeps things so close to the vest to maintain priority #1. I will never buy that you guys have more in common with the Y'allers than the New Yorkers, New Jerseyites, Pennsylvanians and those from Maryland and Ohio. No sireee.

I swear, I've seen horror in the eyes of BC people when I mention UConn going to the B1G. Let's go for it!

I'm from Boston, and the BC alums and hard core BC fans in the region that I encounter, get up ever day thinking about what ND is doing at every moment of their day it seems. The BC ones from NY- Jersey think about Rutgers, but neither think about Uconn football at all. Its a smug attitude some have, but that seems to be the case throughout the college football pecking order with school fanbases. Umass football fans would be in a tither over Uconn football going to the Big, as they delusionally view themselves at getting to Uconn's football level some day, but naturally Uconn football fans dismis Umass football in New England out of hand too, and don't think about them at all. They think about BC, and now Syracuse, and I get this whole dynamic and it makes sense of course too, imo

Reaction Score
I've been warned many times. But so far there hasn't been any issues with ND.
It's been a year. There's a reason BE football teams distrust and dislike Notre Dame, and it ain't because we're envious of their success.

Reaction Score
I don't get your point here. The ACC has Bostonians, New Yorkers, and Pennsylvanians. And we have plenty of New Jerseyites at Duke. The Y'allers are just a bonus.
Yes, I don't know what he means with this comment either. The southern ACC'ers have been exceedingly gracious in my wife and I in our travels to ACC venues for ACC games. I'm not sure btstimpy, if some of the Uconn fans have been to games in the South, but if they have, they'd know that by and large, despite the home fans fans hoping their teams kick the snoot out of their traveling opponents, they are universally hospitable, almost beyond belief, to opponent fans when they come down to visit their stadiums for football games. Virgina, Virginia Tech, Clemson, and Tallahassee have all been outstanding venues, and their fans gracious, friendly, and hospitable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's been a year. There's a reason BE football teams distrust and dislike Notre Dame, and it ain't because we're envious of their success.
I'm from Boston, and the BC alums and hard core BC fans in the region that I encounter, get up ever day thinking about what ND is doing at every moment of their day it seems. The BC ones from NY- Jersey think about Rutgers, but neither think about Uconn football at all. Its a smug attitude some have, but that seems to be the case throughout the college football pecking order with school fanbases. Umass football fans would be in a tither over Uconn football going to the Big, as they delusionally view themselves at getting to Uconn's football level some day, but naturally Uconn football fans dismis Umass football in New England out of hand too, and don't think about them at all. They think about BC, and now Syracuse, and I get this whole dynamic and it makes sense of course too, imo
We would take UMass football seriously if the state of Massachusetts took is serious.
We honestly don't know if they will ever get the support to be FSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom