Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC | Page 32 | The Boneyard

Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This presupposes that Texas, Alabama, Michigans , FSU's Ohio State, etc of the college football world at these big publics don't already have built in huge advantages over the smaller, private institutions. .....

No it doesn't. I've been very clear. My point is that the schism could end up being enormous and permanently insurmountable depending on what the monsters choose to do. A world that is different than today's world.

Tiresome...................

Reaction Score
No it doesn't. I've been very clear. My point is that the schism could end up being enormous and permanently insurmountable depending on what the monsters choose to do. A world that is different than today's world.

Tiresome....

There are ways to call the P5s bluff right now, and this discussion works into it.

1. Does the P5 want to destroy to NCAAT as currently constituted?
2. Does the P5 want to spend the hundreds of millions the NCAA spends each year to run D1 championships across all sports?
3. Do all the schools in the P5 want to saddle up with the SEC which will be let loose with no NCAA constraints as we push toward semi-pro college sports?

This is a very dangerous game for the P5. There's a lot of bluster right now, but if there were any resistance, and if they decided to go it alone, they would be taking a huge risk.

Reaction Score
There are ways to call the P5s bluff right now, and this discussion works into it.

1. Does the P5 want to destroy to NCAAT as currently constituted?
2. Does the P5 want to spend the hundreds of millions the NCAA spends each year to run D1 championships across all sports?
3. Do all the schools in the P5 want to saddle up with the SEC which will be let loose with no NCAA constraints as we push toward semi-pro college sports?

This is a very dangerous game for the P5. There's a lot of bluster right now, but if there were any resistance, and if they decided to go it alone, they would be taking a huge risk.

Exactly my point. Those in the P5 now that think they have nothing to worry about could be in for a rude surprise. Think FSU is really keen on the share that BC and Wake get relative to what they perceive they bring to the table? It's called greed......

Reaction Score
Exactly my point. Those in the P5 now that think they have nothing to worry about could be in for a rude surprise. Think FSU is really keen on the share that BC and Wake get relative to what they perceive they bring to the table? It's called greed.

Some part of me also believes that Virginia is not at all keen to jump into bed with the likes of Tennessee in an arrangement with absolutely no supervision from the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Some part of me also believes that Virginia is not at all keen to jump into bed with the likes of Tennessee in an arrangement with absolutely no supervision from the NCAA.

Agree, but BC does, there a "football school" you know...........

Reaction Score
Probably one of the biggest surprises when I started reading cfb sites was that VA was in the top 10 states for football recruiting. There's no excuse for UVA's history or lack thereof.

UVA didn't take football seriously until George Welsh came in 1982. And UVA's recruiting and performance has been good since 1982 until 2007. It's not glorious, but decades of winning seasons in a row is positive. Mike London's current recruiting is good. One thing UVA has to be careful of in recruiting Virginia, especially Tidewater, is to bring in kids that can stay in the school. George Welsh was good at this. Al Groh had a hard time. Al Groh had a couple of top 10 recruiting classes of 25 kids where 12 failed out before sophomore season ended. He'd put them in Peidmont Community College to try to recover, but mostly to no avail. UVA literally kicks them out, and it is hard to get back in. Mike London brought in Phillip Sims from Va Beach (5 Star QB) signed with Alabama. But he transfered to UVA after AJ McCarron won the job at Alabama. He's already failed out of the school. Took 2 seasons.

A lot of the other schools around that recruit these kids have mechanisms to keep them No one fails out of Virginia Tech. No one. Ditto Maryland, NC State, etc. SEC is even worse. UVA has to win with the more academically inclined football players. They exist, and a coach that will succeed at UVA will understand how to find them and develop them. Ditto for Duke. It can be done. David Cutcliffe is doing it at Duke.

Reaction Score

Tiresome....
You could ultimately be proven right on this future prediction too... I will readily acknowledge this. There are no right or wrong answers when it comes to crystal ball gazing, as nobody has a crystal ball that is all knowing into the future on this stuff

Reaction Score
Agree, but BC does, there a "football school" you know......
BC is not a football school.. who has said they are ? Anyone thats a BC alum or fan that says this is just being silly. ( Uconn is not a " football school " in the eyes of the public either. That would be equally silly to state as well, of course )

Reaction Score
Think FSU is really keen on the share that BC and Wake get relative to what they perceive they bring to the table? .
It would appear so. FSU liked the ACC TV contract negotiated by the league, sufficient enough to sign the GOR. So FSU isn't going anywhere any time soon, and the school seems satisfied with the revenue streams it receives now from their ACC league membership .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree, but BC does, there a "football school" you know......
UVA didn't take football seriously until George Welsh came in 1982. And UVA's recruiting and performance has been good since 1982 until 2007. It's not glorious, but decades of winning seasons in a row is positive. Mike London's current recruiting is good. One thing UVA has to be careful of in recruiting Virginia, especially Tidewater, is to bring in kids that can stay in the school. George Welsh was good at this. Al Groh had a hard time. Al Groh had a couple of top 10 recruiting classes of 25 kids where 12 failed out before sophomore season ended. He'd put them in Peidmont Community College to try to recover, but mostly to no avail. UVA literally kicks them out, and it is hard to get back in. Mike London brought in Phillip Sims from Va Beach (5 Star QB) signed with Alabama. But he transfered to UVA after AJ McCarron won the job at Alabama. He's already failed out of the school. Took 2 seasons.

A lot of the other schools around that recruit these kids have mechanisms to keep them No one fails out of Virginia Tech. No one. Ditto Maryland, NC State, etc. SEC is even worse. UVA has to win with the more academically inclined football players. They exist, and a coach that will succeed at UVA will understand how to find them and develop them. Ditto for Duke. It can be done. David Cutcliffe is doing it at Duke.
Academics are meaningless. You won't be able to compete with Louisville.

Reaction Score

Your school is going to need a come to Jesus moment like Stanford had with the Harbaugh hire. Generally that involves a 'safe' major that sounds suspiciously like physical education. ND didn't have one but we have liberal arts tracks where you only have to write one paper at the end.

Reaction Score
Academics are meaningless. .
Absolutely..... I even said on this very thread above that the football league alignments have nothing at all to do with academics considerations on how all these school presidents chose their teams sports leagues for their school.. and they never have at the major levels in college football in all these leagues... and going back for decades now too ( no matter what any of them might have said to the contrary ). Their decision was all driven by how much revenue would come back to their schools. Period.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Absolutely.. We agree... I even said on this very thread above that the football league alignments have nothing at all to do with Academics.. and they never have at the major levels in college football in all these leagues... and going back for decades now too.

The B1G is the exception.

Reaction Score

Jimminy Crickets!!!!!!

Don't you guys listen! The good father at BC specifically state, and I quote, "the primary reason for our move to the ACC was for academic reasons".

Reaction Score
I don't know.. even the BIG has private Northwestern, and the public Michigan State. There's not much academic parallels between these schools at all, and I'd imagine we'd see few high school non athlete applicants to each school making application to the other school simultaneously. They are completely different schools academically, and each serves a completely different undergraduate student body by and large.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jimminy Crickets!!!!!!

Don't you guys listen! The good father at BC specifically state, and I quote, "the primary reason for our move to the ACC was for academic reasons".
My assumption is that you did not read my response to this on this thread above. I stated that none of the schools make decisions based upon academics despite their remarks to the contrary.. they ALL make their decisions as to where to place their football programs based upon the level of revenues they anticipate coming to their school. People in colleges and universities sometimes are not entirely upfront and truthful when they speak ( not just in college sports either, of course). This is no revelation to you regarding what somebody at a college or university tells you on something.................... or is it ? You've gone to college, and nobody there ( professors, financial aid office, career center, AD offiice, Security, Housing, Pres and / or Administration etc) ever gave you anything but the complete and unvarnished Truth ? ( What school was THAT, as that school certainly isn't on planet Earth )

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Most of the de-emphasis will never happen. If it does it will be mostly in FCS type schools that had only their own parochial following.

Probably one of the biggest surprises when I started reading cfb sites was that VA was in the top 10 states for football recruiting. There's no excuse for UVA's history or lack thereof.

Except that other schools were coming into VA and snapping up their best players. If you were to look at a list of UNC's all-time best players, quite a few of them were from Virginia. Especially, the Tidewater region.

UNC has a similar problem. There is deent talent here, but, SEC schools, or Clemson, come in and take them away.

Reaction Score

And, you would be correct, too.

Reaction Score
My assumption is that you did not read my response to this on this thread above. I stated that none of the schools make decisions based upon academics despite their remarks to the contrary.. they ALL make their decisions as to where to place their football programs based upon the level of revenues they anticipate coming to their school. People in colleges and universities sometimes are not entirely upfront and truthful when they speak ( not just in college sports either, of course). This is no revelation to you regarding what somebody at a college or university tells you on something..... or is it ? You've gone to college, and nobody there ( professors, financial aid office, career center, AD offiice, Security, Housing, Pres and / or Administration etc) ever gave you anything but the complete and unvarnished Truth ? ( What school was THAT, as that school certainly isn't on planet Earth )

It's called sarcasm and it went flying so fast and far over your head I'm a little concerned for you.

You might need another hobby? Job?

Reaction Score
It's called sarcasm and it went flying so fast and far over your head I'm a little concerned for you.

You might need another hobby? Job?

Oh, you're just pulling my leg.. you're not concerned for me at all. I get THAT sarcasm reply anyway.( haha!)

Reaction Score
Jimminy Crickets!!!!!!

I have the ACC 50th Anniversary "Golden Glory" DVD from 2003, and in the documentary Florida State Football Coach Bobby Bowden says emphatically that FSU chose to join the ACC over the SEC because of academics. And Chuck Amato, who was the FSU offensive coordinator chimes in and says the he personally used to go out on the football recruiting trail telling kids to come to FSU because it is in the best Athletic and Academic Conference in America. So these guys believe it to be the primary reason FSU joined. There is no question about that. Don't know about BC.

Reaction Score
I have the ACC 50th Anniversary "Golden Glory" DVD from 2003, and in the documentary Florida State Football Coach Bobby Bowden says emphatically that FSU chose to join the ACC over the SEC because of academics. And Chuck Amato, who was the FSU offensive coordinator chimes in and says the he personally used to go out on the football recruiting trail telling kids to come to FSU because it is in the best Athletic and Academic Conference in America. So these guys believe it to be the primary reason FSU joined. There is no question about that. Don't know about BC.

Louisville over Uconn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69