Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC | Page 31 | The Boneyard

Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn will likely leverage recent success and add more P5 schools to the schedule, and may have added Illinois even though not formally on the schedule as of yet. I'll be sure pass along your recommendations to WM, especially the part about "needs to work on adding some more." But, you're missing the main point. What the ACC has done, and what the P5 conferences are attempting to do, has the potential to substantially disadvantage UConn. Considering our numerous championships, budgets, and academic trajectory, it's natural for some fans to harbor a level of resentment. You should have picked up on this by now.

I fully understand that the P5 is the place to be, and scheduling more games with P5 teams will help UConn. What the P5 are going to do is not unlike what happened in 1978 when Division 1 split into D1A and D1AA, which ultimately became FBS and FCS. This will be separating D1A into 2 parts, P5 and G5. Then the P5 will implement some expensive programs. We may see some schools currently in P5 want to drop down. I wouldn't be shocked to see that. It would create opportunities for someone like UConn to move into P5. We just have to see how it develops.

Reaction Score
Didn't you just get some #1 position recruits? UVa football could become good at any moment. I think you will get some good press with ESPN pimping the ACC.

Yes UVA has talent on the team. They just need the coaching to enable them to win. Hopefully my concerns are unfounded.

Reaction Score
I'm talking about Fielding Yost. He was the coach at Michigan. He played ND in football in 1909 and lost. He then dropped Notre Dame from the Michigan schedule, and after that he organized the rest of the Western Conference to also drop Notre Dame. It was not until 1917 that ND could get anyone in the Western Conference to play ND until Indiana and Purdue relented and ended the boycott. Fielding Yost never scheduled Notre Dame again, and he was at Michigan until 1940. From 1910 to 1977 Michigan and Notre Dame played exactly 2 football games.

To me this is a boycott. It may not be seen that way to some, but it sure looks like it to me.
And where was Yost from?

WV. He played for WVU. When WVU lost 3 in a row to Lafayette, Yost 'transferred' to Lafayette when it was facing Penn. Yost then went back to WVU.

He was always dirty and nasty. Michigan Man indeed.

Reaction Score
Yes UVA has talent on the team. They just need the coaching to enable them to win. Hopefully my concerns are unfounded.
Best to start with Littlepage then move onto London. Littlepage may have saved his job with the Tony Bennett hire but he sure has gone down in flames with London! Wonderful guy, good recruiter just not an ACC HC.

Reaction Score
And where was Yost from?

WV. He played for WVU. When WVU lost 3 in a row to Lafayette, Yost 'transferred' to Lafayette when it was facing Penn. Yost then went back to WVU.

He was always dirty and nasty. Michigan Man indeed.

It's amazing how consumed Domers are on the life of Fielding Yost; to the point of "updating" Michigan Wikipedia pages.

Reaction Score
UConn will likely leverage recent success and add more P5 schools to the schedule, and may have added Illinois even though not formally on the schedule as of yet. I'll be sure pass along your recommendations to WM, especially the part about "needs to work on adding some more." But, you're missing the main point. What the ACC has done, and what the P5 conferences are attempting to do, has the potential to substantially disadvantage UConn. Considering our numerous championships, budgets, and academic trajectory, it's natural for some fans to harbor a level of resentment. You should have picked up on this by now.
Illinois is on the schedule for 2019 and 2020:
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/aac/connecticut-huskies.php

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This makes sense too. As CSNY song says:... " if you can't be, with the one you love, love the one you're with " ( and these old men now certainly practiced this policy over and over again when they were touring as young muscians in their Band )

That was a Steven Stills solo song. No biggie since facts don't matter to you.

Reaction Score
Best to start with Littlepage then move onto London. Littlepage may have saved his job with the Tony Bennett hire but he sure has gone down in flames with London! Wonderful guy, good recruiter just not an ACC HC.

Mike London is in over his head at UVA, IMHO.

I know he won a national title at Richmond, but, that team was built by Dave Clawson, not him. Plus, he was only the HC at UR for two years. Two years! Theres no way on earth he was ready for ANY FBS head coaching gig after that short a stint. He had not shown that he could build and maintain a program.

He could get a quick hook if the 'Hoos struggle out of the gate this coming season. And, it would be justified.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I want to see the fallout from the NW vote and the O'Bannon case before I wring my hands too much over UConn's conference status. If the spit hits the fan there will be quite a bit of de-emphasizing going on. No one knows what the college athletic landscape will look like when the genie gets out of that bottle.

Reaction Score

The overall athletic department at UVA is doing well. Half the programs in the 25 sport department have been ranked in the Top 10 nationally this season. It's the football team that is in bad shape along with a couple of others like softball and women's basketball, and yes football is most important. It's a little more complicated than Littlepage. The Associate AD Jon Oliver is responsible for football, but ultimately he reports to Littlepage. And Littlepage has been defiant with all the fans and boosters in defending London. If you live in Richmond, VA you will have seen some of this in the media. So here we go into another season with London when last season was the worst at UVA since 1981 when Dick Bestwick was coach, and he was fired for a seasons like that in 1981. My concern is that I think the actual problem really is the head coach.

Reaction Score
Mike London is in over his head at UVA, IMHO.

I know he won a national title at Richmond, but, that team was built by Dave Clawson, not him. Plus, he was only the HC at UR for two years. Two years! Theres no way on earth he was ready for ANY FBS head coaching gig after that short a stint. He had not shown that he could build and maintain a program.

He could get a quick hook if the 'Hoos struggle out of the gate this coming season. And, it would be justified.

I agree, and Jon Oliver did not help Mike London by loading up the schedule with trips to BYU, USC and visits by UCLA, Oregon, Stanford, etc. When your AD schedules you to fail, there is some sympathy for London. A trip to Tallahassee and a visit by Louisville this year are hard enough. But you are correct in the over the head part I think. Nice man, and the kids love him He recruits well, but the game management and play calling decisions are disastrous at times.

Reaction Score
I agree, and Jon Oliver did not help Mike London by loading up the schedule with trips to BYU, USC and visits by UCLA, Oregon, Stanford, etc. When your AD schedules you to fail, there is some sympathy for London. A trip to Tallahassee and a visit by Louisville this year are hard enough. But you are correct in the over the head part I think. Nice man, and the kids love him He recruits well, but the game management and play calling decisions are disastrous at times.

Visits from Louisville are not really very hard.

Reaction Score
. We may see some schools currently in P5 want to drop down. I wouldn't be shocked to see that. .

I'd be shocked to see any P5 School decide to drop down. They would lose a ton of money to do so. It'd be much more likely such a P5 school would drop football altogether, than drop down to a non P5 league. No football fanbase of any P5 Conf school would support such a move down to a non P5 Conf.. These Presidents and AD's at all these schools are all political animals. There is no way the world these politicos at these schools would create future political suicide by suggesting their P5 School move down to a non P5 Conference thereby deciding to go from a league that gives them 25 million a year to one that gives them 1.75 -3 million a year. These school Presidents like the football money. They'd be perfectly happy to go 0-13 most years in football and collect the TV money, not alienate their Alums and their big money Donors, etc than go 9-4 in a non P5 league and lose that P5 money, and alienate all their Alums and big money Donors. So I think its highly unlikely we'll ever see any of the P5 Schools opting to drop down their football program into a non P5 Conf.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Visits from Louisville are not really very hard.

If UVA had the team it had in 2007 I wouldn't be worried. Right now I'm worried. I can only hope that Mike London has something up his sleeve to shock the world. Several of his losses last year were close, so maybe there is hope.

Reaction Score
If UVA had the team it had in 2007 I wouldn't be worried. Right now I'm worried. I can only hope that Mike London has something up his sleeve to shock the world. Several of his losses last year were close, so maybe there is hope.

I'd be more worried about Clemson or Georgia Tech or Miami or VT or, heck, even UNC.

Reaction Score
Most of the de-emphasis will never happen. If it does it will be mostly in FCS type schools that had only their own parochial following.

Probably one of the biggest surprises when I started reading cfb sites was that VA was in the top 10 states for football recruiting. There's no excuse for UVA's history or lack thereof.

Reaction Score
They'd be perfectly happy to go 0-13 most years in football and collect the TV money, not alienate their Alums and their big money Donors, etc than go 9-4 in a non P5 league and lose that P5 money.......

There may be a new paradigm where this is simply not true. If losing becomes inevitable for some programs because they are at such a permanent competitive disadvantage, then stadiums will empty and donors will be plenty pissed. The Wakes and BCs of the world are happy to take those checks now...no reason they should not be, but the world may be heading in a direction where their ability to compete is dramatically decreased.

Frankly, given BC's recent basketball hire, one has to wonder how committed that administration is to being competitive.

Reaction Score
Frankly, given BC's recent basketball hire, one has to wonder how committed that administration is to being competitive.

The new BC Head Basketball Coach hired 2 excellent assistants with good reps for recruiting, and BC will be paying them them more than most of the ACC schools are paying their assistant Basketball Coaches. But make no mistake, BC will never be a basketball school. But it is college football that primarily derives the realignment bus across all these leagues.. When Miami started the dominos to fall in college football realignment, it wasn't their college basketball program the ACC was interested in luring away from the BE.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Most of the de-emphasis will never happen. If it does it will be mostly in FCS type schools that had only their own parochial following.

I agree. If schools have to deemphasize football, or move down, it'll be in the FCS type schools, Football is a very expensive investment for schools compared to their other college sports programs.. and many of these FCS football programs are money losers for their schools as it turns out.

Reaction Score
The new BC Head Basketball Coach hired 2 excellent assistants with good reps for recruiting, and BC will be paying them them more than most of the ACC schools are paying their assistant Basketball Coaches. But make no mistake, BC will never be a basketball school. But it is college football that primarily derives the realignment bus across all these leagues.. When Miami started the dominos to fall in college football realignment, it wasn't their college basketball program the ACC was interested in luring away from the BE.

I've got news for you, BC is neither a basketball school nor football school. My point is, if they rewrite the rules such that the FSU's and Texas' of the world can have distinct advantages, then smaller private institutions could be at a distinct and permanent disadvantage, and at that point the game starts to change dramatically.

I sincerely hope that does not happen btw, but I fear it may. The P5 conferences may not be a panacea for everyone.

Reaction Score
I've got news for you, BC is neither a basketball school nor football school. My point is, if they rewrite the rules such that the FSU's and Texas' of the world can have distinct advantages, then smaller private institutions could be at a distinct and permanent disadvantage, and at that point the game starts to change dramatically.

This presupposes that Texas, Alabama, Michigans , FSU's Ohio State, etc of the college football world at these big publics don't already have built in huge advantages over the smaller, private institutions. Thats life. Its not going to change in that respect. That said, it does appear that a huge football separation is going to mostly take place between the P5 Conference schools, and the football programs in the non P5 Leagues. This behooves Uconn football to kick butt in the AAC these next few years. I think they will. If they do this, the next time football expansion comes along, Uconn will be attractive to one of the P5 Conferences, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom