Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tshirt sales and donations are counted as athletic department revenues. Also, ever heard of an AD bond out for the building of a football stadium or other facility? How do you imagine those are built?

I don't think so. If the shirt just reads UCONN and makes no mention of the hoops team team then you could pretend it was bought just to appreciate the school in general.

Reaction Score
This may be true; however, we have not seen an article either that indicates the B1G rejected UConn whereas such an article does exist detailing the rejection of UConn by the ACC with direct quotes from an AD.
http://boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_basketball/articles/2011/10/09/power_move_by_acc/?page=3
quote]

I recall my family and friends I have in CT telling me that if BC went to the ACC instead of staying in the BE, that BC would have no influence whatsover with " the southern schools there " ( as they called them) in the ACC.. Fast forward to 2011, and here its being reported that BC ( that undeniably did not support Uconn football to the ACC) had enormous influence with " the southern schools ", so much so that BC.. new to the ACC... could prevail upon the dozens of schools, many of whom that had been in this league for years, some as founders in the ACC, to somehow keep Uconn out of the ACC. Fortunately, most of the family and friends now believe here in 2014 that while BC did not support Uconn to the ACC ( which is undeniably true ), BC had no such clout in the ACC to keep Uconn out of the ACC. My hunch is that even if BC pleaded with the ACC to invite Uconn, their wishes would not have been given any more weight in this as well. If Swofford and the founding schools in the ACC wanted ( or still want ) Uconn, BC couldn't stop them. It is regrettable the bad feelings that have occured between BC and Uconn.. but slowly but surely, cracks in the bitterness between these 2 N.E. schools does seem to be abating a bit. Calhoun, the coach that publically called for his school to" never schedule BC in anything ever again " has retired. The equally petty BC AD who has little support among much of the fanbase in BC for his work at BC has alo retired. BC ( that voted " yes " on Uconn's admittance to the BE ) voted " yes ", recently to invite Uconn into Hockey East that helps their developing Hockey Program, and likewise the new BC AD reached out to the Uconn AD to schedule Uconn in basketball as well, and the 2 schools have agreed to do so. Even the writer of this Boston column ( a notorious BE flack and and long time coat holder for former BE Commish Mike Tranghese ) is no longer around flaming the fires of divisiveness, having been fired from the very newspaper that this 2011 article is linked from, and is now found writing from a small blog he created in order to cobble together a living from out of his office in his home whenever he's relatively clean and sober. I hope Uconn football fans can find joy in their school's sport again. I think BC should put aside the differences they have with Uconn and forget the long ago lawsuit and acknowledge they have been petty toward their neighbors 2 hours away from their campus and find a way to play football again with Uconn. I also hope Uconn football fans can cool their jets a bit and ask themselves if their comments now and in the future help advance or hold back the very thing that they want.. which is an invite out of where they currently find themselves. Anyway thats my 2 cents worth as a BC fan that has followed BC sports for close to half a century while living in Boston,( but not as a BC alum)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mistake? W/O RU UConn isn't even contigenous?Or under consideration at the time. There u go again playing RU against UConn....classic divide and conquer...do you think BY fans are stupid? You act like you're here to educate and bless us. First you thought Temple was a better add to any conference than RU....you certainly know how to do 1 thing though..make enemies,of course smoothly! I listen to nothing u say buttkis!
There will always be Envy masquerading as a legitimate grievance. We've read plenty about how schools agree to contracts and then cry about how unfair they are.

Like PSU wanting out of the BUG10 if some of their old east coast rivals didn't get in?

Link please. No BS zone or rumor please...or as another Joe once said..."just the fact's ma'm"

Reaction Score
You don't watch much college football if you believe Pitt and Syracuse have done much winning in the past 20 years.

Cuse is 1-6 against UConn in the last 7 games. most of those have been blowouts. ND didn't beat UConn either. Not bad for a "johnny-come-lately" which is, oh by the way, the best basketball school in the nation over the same period that you tout Cuse's and Pitt's winning losing.
Outside of Terry D (who seems real) some of these ND fan's are almost as arrogant as stimpycuse!

Reaction Score
I don't think so. If the shirt just reads UCONN and makes no mention of the hoops team team then you could pretend it was bought just to appreciate the school in general.

Wrong. All branding is dumped into athletic budgets. Part of the licensing deals that go through the clothing companies which are affiliated with sports. There's a long article on this subject from David Hillis who looked at several athletic budgets including Texas's. That's how they do it too. It's probably because athletics is responsible for selling 90% of those branded shirts and sweaters.

Reaction Score
Link please. No BS zone or rumor please...or as another Joe once said..."just the fact's ma'm"

How do I link an opinion? Find someone else with the same one?

Upstate, I stand corrected if that is the case.

Reaction Score

...and there you have it, Judas has spoken, now take your thirty pieces of silver and go troll somewhere else!

Reaction Score
Barry Alvarez made that rather clear.

But the funny thing is that the east coast rivals who always meant the most to Penn State are Pitt and Syracuse.
Say's the ND fan!! lol...SU was NEVER a RIVAL of PSU!! 2 wins in 24 games makes a hot rival? Only SU fans want to believe that malarky! No PSU fan really thinks of SU as anything other than a whipping boy! Man you guys will go to any length to push an ACC agenda here!?!

Reaction Score

So don't state it as though it was somehow factual...take ur friend stimpycuse and get lost....good riddance to slanted opinion!!

Reaction Score
The only Bug's I'm familiar with have recently infected the ACC with a disease called greed and treachery.

Reaction Score
...and if that rumor is true...how fragile is that conference when a conference is willing to blow apart should one or two schools not get what they want. ...And lets not forget there will soon be another elephant in the room -ND!
If stimp is a plant it backfired....on just listening to him I HATE the ACC more than I did before he tried"schooling us" lol.

Reaction Score
They have everything to do with academics. As I questioned in another thread, why do schools participate in big time athletics? Most run off of a deficit and it's against most of the mission statements of these schools. If it was just about student life, why couldn't they just go to the D3 model and spend much less money in the process?
Why, then, do schools participate when most university presidents could care less what happens in sports? Advertising their schools to a broader range of Gen Ed students. Academics.
Spot on. A few years ago I read an article estimating the value in free publicity of an appearance in the NCAA tournament was to a participating university. I don't remember the number so I won't offer a guess but it was in the millions. Wasn't there a flurry of articles in the local press noting the spike in applications to UConn after the dual championships in 2004? Increased applications allows greater selectivity which boosts academic profile. Q.E.D.

Reaction Score
... Most schools don't have "Winning National Championships in Football and Men Basketball" on their mission statement.
An important point re: mission statements. I've been criticizing Swofford here for either a lack of a mission statement or the inability to frame and follow a cogent strategy to accomplish said statement. Given the ACC's additions since 2003, can you divine a mission statement he might be following?

Reaction Score
Well if we're going beyond BCS era, why stop with UL winning in '91. Cuse won it in '93 and Pitt won it in '79. Shoot, the ACC owns the Fiesta Bowl. Still wasn't a BCS game. And I'm not knocking UL's accomplishments either, they've done great for themselves in athletics and are probably in the top 2 of ACC FB teams right now behind FSU, but there is no need to pad your point by 'finessing' your argument with sketchy non-facts. We both agree UL is a good football program.

The subject is Louisville and not Syracuse. It is relevant that Louisville has won 3 MAJOR Bowls under 3 coaches within the past 25 years. It is at best some combination of childish petulance and pedantry for you make a big deal about me using the term we all now use Major bowls for the Fiesta before the BCS control of the national championship started.
Say's the ND fan!! lol...SU was NEVER a RIVAL of PSU!! 2 wins in 24 games makes a hot rival? Only SU fans want to believe that malarky! No PSU fan really thinks of SU as anything other than a whipping boy! Man you guys will go to any length to push an ACC agenda here!?!

How old are you? What do you know about Penn State's football history and its rise to predominance over the East? And that history goes back long before Paterno became head coach.

Would you like to make a case that Penn State's second most important football rival in the East was - and we have to use that past tense because Paterno chose to kill Penn State's rivalries in its own region - Rutgers or Maryland or WVU? Perhaps you think Penn State has played all three of them to a hard fought 35 - 30 all time lead in the series.

Penn State's rise began under Rip Engle, and for it to succeed, for Penn State to become the one truly great football power in all the East, Penn State had to begin to dominate two teams and only two teams, because they were the only two that mattered: Pitt and Syracuse.

Reaction Score
The subject is Louisville and not Syracuse. It is relevant that Louisville has won 3 MAJOR Bowls under 3 coaches within the past 25 years. It is at best some combination of childish petulance and pedantry for you make a big deal about me using the term we all now use Major bowls for the Fiesta before the BCS control of the national championship started.

How old are you? What do you know about Penn State's football history and its rise to predominance over the East? And that history goes back long before Paterno became head coach.

Would you like to make a case that Penn State's second most important football rival in the East was - and we have to use that past tense because Paterno chose to kill Penn State's rivalries in its own region - Rutgers or Maryland or WVU? Perhaps you think Penn State has played all three of them to a hard fought 35 - 30 all time lead in the series.

Penn State's rise began under Rip Engle, and for it to succeed, for Penn State to become the one truly great football power in all the East, Penn State had to begin to dominate two teams and only two teams, because they were the only two that mattered: Pitt and Syracuse.

I became a Penn State fan shortly after I was discharged from the Continental Army. Is that long enough? Pitt was a rival, not Syracuse.

Reaction Score
Right Samcro ask stimpy why in comparison to the B1G the ACC's stadiums appear empty? Maybe no one cares?Remember most of the ACC schools play second fiddle to SEC in there own footprint!!
Here is the funniest thing about ACC football attendanceI have ever seen. We Irish fans love to poke at BC. Not the way you poke at an equal rival but the way you poke down at the hopelessly silly little brother. Two years ago we were having a good time about BC's 2-10 team. Just epically bad.

And then as part of my gathering info to toss at BC fans to rub in as much salt as I could find, I saw the list for football average attendance for the ACC. BC was bad, below 40,000, around 37,000. But here is what is so funny I forgot about making fun of BC for having few fans. Maryland averaged fewer fans per game than BC.

So Maryland with 45,000 students averaged fewer fans per game than did little BC, with an awful 2-10 team.

Maryland has been central to the lack of fans attending ACC games. Well, the lack is only relative to the SEC and the BUG. But anyway, Maryland has been a bottom feeder in football attendance. So how does Maryland going to the BUG make the BUG seem brilliantly run while the ACC replacing Maryland with a school with more football fans than Maryland makes the ACC leadership seem weak?

Reaction Score
I became a Penn State fan shortly after I was discharged from the Continental Army. Is that long enough? Pitt was a rival, not Syracuse.

Saying that marks you as ignorant of eastern football in the 1950s and 1960s. Penn State became what it has been since the late 1960s precisely because it came to dominate Syracuse and Pitt. They were the two that mattered not merely to fans but more important to journalists in the East who covered college football.

Reaction Score
Saying that marks you as ignorant of eastern football in the 1950s and 1960s. Penn State became what it has been since the late 1960s precisely because it came to dominate Syracuse and Pitt. They were the two that mattered not merely to fans but more important to journalists in the East who covered college football.

That's right. I wasn't even born in the 50s. What are we going to discuss next here. Nicky's numbers about the so-called rivalry are telling. If you're constantly losing, that's not a rivalry. UConn once won 27 straight games against BC and people are telling us we have a rivalry. No, that's not one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom