Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
This talk of a "black eye for the ACC" by a Michigan football fan is of course viewed in the context of the Penn State gigantic national scandal that blew up there, re. the Big's " reputation " as a league.

PSU absolutely was. Maybe "a black eye" was the wrong wording. The point was either The ACC went back on what they were principles, or they flat out lied to WVU.

Reaction Score
. If the rumors are true and Louisville kept The ACC together, it was the right move.

" Louisville kept the ACC together " ? The replacement of Rutgers and Maryland with Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville( and ND as a member in all sports, and 5 ACC football games) seems like an ACC league win to me vs. the Big. Additionally, what " kept the ACC together" was not the addition of Louisville. It was the ACC negotiated league contract with ESPN, that allowed FSU, Clemson to feel much better about things.

Reaction Score
PSU absolutely was. Maybe "a black eye" was the wrong wording. The point was either The ACC went back on what they were principles, or they flat out lied to WVU.
I hear you. I even mentioned on this very thread that schools that tell us they make decisions on leagues based upon some academic consideration are full of beans. The old BE had West Virginia in it, for heavens sake, and booted out of its league a comparatively great " academic school" in Temple.

Reaction Score
Guys, for god's sake, don't you listen. Fr. Leahy and I quote "the primary reason for our move to the ACC are academics". You are either calling the good father an idiot or a liar. I'm sure you didn't mean to do that. I mean, he's obviously not an idiot.

Reaction Score
" Louisville kept the ACC together " ? The replacement of Rutgers and Maryland with Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville( and ND as a member in all sports, and 5 ACC football games) seems like an ACC league win to me vs. the Big. Additionally, what " kept the ACC together" was not the addition of Louisville. It was the ACC negotiated league contract with ESPN, that allowed FSU, Clemson to feel much better about things.

Please remind me again as to the great accomplishments of Syracuse and Pitt, throw in BC for that matter. I don't think there is a lot of difference among all schools listed in your post. Re: ND? ND does what's best for ND. They bring precious little to the ACC's olympic sports and play football on their terms. No other P-5 conference was willing to let them do that. (The BE is dead and doesn't count because it never required D-1 football of all other members.) Louisville? They have had recent hype in athletics and dreadful academics forever. Whatever the athletic misfortunes of Maryland, please don't compare them to Louisville academically - you'll embarrass yourself.

Reaction Score
Guys, for god's sake, don't you listen. Fr. Leahy and I quote "the primary reason for our move to the ACC are academics". You are either calling the good father an idiot or a liar. I'm sure you didn't mean to do that. I mean, he's obviously not an idiot.
He's full of beans, when he says this. As for Uconn, nobody cares in these leagues if hardly anybody graduates on their Men's basketball teams either ( or Syracuse). All these decisions on league invites ( and snubs ) are totally based upon anticipated dollars to these schools, and to these leagues..... period. The B12 didn't take West Virginia because of their " academics" and the P5 arn't beating down the doors to invite all the military academies to their leagues because of " academics ". And Duke has been a long time member of the ACC with NC State. And if Penn State wasn't a football revenue generator for the Big, they'd have been booted out out that league for those crimes there faster than the BE booted Temple out of their league. How does the Big feel about the " academics " at Michigan State " ?, or the SEC about the grad rates at Tennessee ? or the B12 at Oklahoma State ? Well, they don't care. None of these leagues decisions are based upon a school's " academics"... and " grad rates "... or " academic kinship " and all that nonsense.. Not at Majors levels in the P5 anyway. Anyone that says these decisions are not driven almost exclusively by financial considerations is being disengenuous... and I'm being kind with that descriptive term (.. haha)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I made this point above when whaler and multiple others mentioned the students from New Jersey at Duke. There are a few hundred of them there. Not sure why this is so meaningful to ND. When comparing the 2 conferences, it's not the ACC that gives you that huge presence in ND's bread&butter region, but the B1G. PSU, Rutgers, Maryland are large state schools with huge footprints. UConn would add one more. These are the schools that are closer to NYC than Syracuse, BCU, Pitt and Louisville.

The ACC very much gives Notre Dame their bread and butter region with their historical opponents in football. I've never heard of Notre Dame having any interest in playing Rutgers regularly in football. And if they want to play in DC, Navy will accomodate any time they want. Syracuse is playing Notre Dame twice in the Meadowlands in the next 3 years. NYC Check. With all of this checked, Notre Dame now gets to add Miami, Atlanta, and Charlotte. They don't care about more midwestern games. Listen to Jack Swarbrick. He explains it every time asked about it. They don't give a hoot about footprints. It's games in the cities. Boston. Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Miami, Washington. The ACC did lose Washington, but Navy will do it. Syracuse will do New York.

Reaction Score
Please remind me again as to the great accomplishments of Syracuse and Pitt, throw in BC for that matter. I don't think there is a lot of difference among all schools listed in your post. Re: ND? ND does what's best for ND. They bring precious little to the ACC's olympic sports and play football on their terms. No other P-5 conference was willing to let them do that. (The BE is dead and doesn't count because it never required D-1 football of all other members.) Louisville? They have had recent hype in athletics and dreadful academics forever. Whatever the athletic misfortunes of Maryland, please don't compare them to Louisville academically - you'll embarrass yourself.

I think all of them have been to NCAA men's and women's postseason play much more often than Rutgers in the past 50 years as well as bowl games. And Maryland and Louisville both stink academically. I'm not sure of your point there.

Reaction Score

Fr. Leahy would be accurate. The Ivy League and the ACC are the only athletic conferences with 8 or more schools in the top 40 academically in the United States. No other league is remotely close. So what? If Fr. Leahy is impressed with that, good for Fr. Leahy. The ACC also has about 6 other schools trying hard to get there.

Reaction Score
Swoffy over Delany....puleeze SC don't make yourself look like "that guy"?? And of all the ACC types u were garnering a shred of respect!! btw whatever happened to billybud? Get lost on his NYC trip?lol

I'd take Swofford over Delaney in 5 seconds. Delaney has taken the 1940s, 50s, 60s, and 70s conference dynasty and ran it into the ground. In the 25 years since Delaney has been commissioner of the Big Ten they only have 1 basketball national championship and only 2 football national championships, and they lose almost every Rose Bowl. And this is with all of the eastern and midwestern media in America singing their praise to the high heavens and over rating their teams every season in the polls.

Reaction Score
I'd take Swofford over Delaney in 5 seconds. Delaney has taken the 1940s, 50s, 60s, and 70s conference dynasty and ran it into the ground. In the 25 years since Delaney has been commissioner of the Big Ten they only have 1 basketball national championship and only 2 football national championships, and they lose almost every Rose Bowl. And this is with all of the eastern and midwestern media in America singing their praise to the high heavens and over rating their teams every season in the polls.
How's Swofford's ACC Network coming along? Delaney and the BTN are printing money..... printing it in big friggin stacks. If that's running a league into the ground, sign me up.

Stimp, you are giving me flashbacks to when the OBE got raided the first time and lost VT, UM, and BC (this was when the ACC company line was "like minded academic institutions"). BE then added USF, UC, AND UL and all the BE message boards were squawking about how the BE would be better off, had brought in better on the field schools, BE had ND for Olympic sports, etc, etc.... BE fans were wrong then, and you're... well, let's all check back in about 7-10 years and see where things stand. My gut tells me between now and then there will be a lot of ACC animosity towards ND and people will be scratching their heads over the UL selection.

Reaction Score
Fr. Leahy would be accurate. The Ivy League and the ACC are the only athletic conferences with 8 or more schools in the top 40 academically in the United States. No other league is remotely close. So what? If Fr. Leahy is impressed with that, good for Fr. Leahy. The ACC also has about 6 other schools trying hard to get there.
Yes, but the only true leagues that have league decisions based upon " academic considerations" are found in the Ivy League, and the so called " Little Ivies " ( ala Williams, Amherst, etc ) , and such. Its a total non factor in my view in league afiliations with the football schools at the FBS levels and their leagues. Thats how I see it anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL, the ACC fans are reproducing in duplicate the same exact posts we did 7 or 8 years ago. Good luck guys.

Reaction Score
He's full of beans, when he says this. As for Uconn, nobody cares in these leagues if hardly anybody graduates on their Men's basketball teams either ( or Syracuse). All these decisions on league invites ( and snubs ) are totally based upon anticipated dollars to these schools, and to these leagues..... period. The B12 didn't take West Virginia because of their " academics" and the P5 arn't beating down the doors to invite all the military academies to their leagues because of " academics ". And Duke has been a long time member of the ACC with NC State. And if Penn State wasn't a football revenue generator for the Big, they'd have been booted out out that league for those crimes there faster than the BE booted Temple out of their league. How does the Big feel about the " academics " at Michigan State " ?, or the SEC about the grad rates at Tennessee ? or the B12 at Oklahoma State ? Well, they don't care. None of these leagues decisions are based upon a school's " academics"... and " grad rates "... or " academic kinship " and all that nonsense.. Not at Majors levels in the P5 anyway. Anyone that says these decisions are not driven almost exclusively by financial considerations is being disengenuous... and I'm being kind with that descriptive term (.. haha)

If the ACC was concerned about revenue, UConn would have been the first team offered over all the others.

Reaction Score
How's Swofford's ACC Network coming along? Delaney and the BTN are printing money..... printing it in big friggin stacks. If that's running a league into the ground, sign me up.

Actually quite well from what I'm hearing. I'm not concerned about a financial gap with that at all. There will always be one with stadium size, but their always has been. And all of those sinking flagships out there can do what ever they want to with that money. But it isn't helping them win anything.

Reaction Score
I think all of them have been to NCAA men's and women's postseason play much more often than Rutgers in the past 50 years as well as bowl games. And Maryland and Louisville both stink academically. I'm not sure of your point there.

You do this continually. I think you should stop talking about academics. You're comparing an AAU school to a school that (well, I'm not going to insult it). It's crazy.

Reaction Score
You do this continually. I think you should stop talking about academics. You're comparing an AAU school to a school that (well, I'm not going to insult it). It's crazy.

I'm not at all impressed with AAU. It's a graduate research club that is full of politics. I has nothing to do with academics. Notre Dame is a great academic institution in the top 20 of American universities. It is not AAU. Who give a flip about AAU?

Reaction Score

Thanks for clarifying all that. Was afraid my original post would be taken as sarcasm. Lol

Reaction Score
Stimp, you are giving me flashbacks to when the OBE got raided the first time and lost VT, UM, and BC (this was when the ACC company line was "like minded academic institutions"). BE then added USF, UC, AND UL and all the BE message boards were squawking about how the BE would be better off, had brought in better on the field schools, BE had ND for Olympic sports, etc, etc.... BE fans were wrong then, and you're... well, let's all check back in about 7-10 years and see where things stand. My gut tells me between now and then there will be a lot of ACC animosity towards ND and people will be scratching their heads over the UL selection.

Right there at that time, the BE needed to fire anyone associated with Providence, who did not know a flip about football, and hire a Commissioner who could run a football conference. The BE should have never brought in DePaul, Marquette, etc. What the BE did was become the very best basketball league in America. I think the BE got 11 schools in 1 NCAA men's basketball tournament. That is amazing. But the landscape cared about football. Had the BE dropped all of the basketball onlies in 2003 and become the AAC at that time with Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, WVU, Louisville, etc., it would be here today IMO. Trying to dominate the Atlantic 10 in the region was not a long term strategy. The ACC is not in this situation. The ACC actually put 11 schools in bowl games this season, only 6 in the NCAA men's basketball tournament. Eleven bowl teams is amazing as well as the National Football Champion.

The ACC has to be somewhat careful as to not try to convince the world that it's the best basketball conference. There is a danger that ESPN will look at the ACC as its basketball conference and the SEC as its football conference. The ACC needs to avoid this while at the same time staying very good in basketball. It helped a little this year that ESPN spent the whole basketball season praising the Big XII as the best basketball conference. Brent Mussberger has never spent that much time in Oklahoma in his life.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the ACC was concerned about revenue, UConn would have been the first team offered over all the others.
All 3 of the military academies, both nationally and internationally, have far more viewers with their football games than do more than half the schools in the P5 leagues, and in approx. 90% or more of the schools in the non P5 leagues. As for Uconn having the capacity to generate nore revenues to the ACC than Louisville , I have not read the data on this either way to have an informed opinion either way on this. I do think ( as all leagues do ) that both the b12, ACC, and the Big have all made their decisions on league invites based upon a combination of their own leagues internal financial data at their disposal, and just as importantly, what the network executives and their key advertisers were telling them. Did all 3 leagues get it wrong ? Perhaps. Uconn football fans universally think the leagues did... and who knows, they could be right too.

Reaction Score
All 3 of the military academies, both nationally and internationally, have far more viewers with their football games than do more than half the schools in the P5 leagues, and in approx. 90% or more of the schools in the non P5 leagues. As for Uconn having the capacity to generate nore revenues to the ACC than Louisville , I have not read the data on this either way to have an informed opinion either way on this. I do think ( as all leagues do ) that both the b12, ACC, and the Big have all made their decisions on league invites based upon a combination of their own leagues internal financial data at their disposal, and just as importantly, what the network executives and their key advertisers were telling them. Did all 3 leagues get it wrong ? Perhaps. Uconn football fans universally think the leagues did... and who knows, they could be right too.

Revs are not a secret. UConn made double in licensing ($25m) of any of the old BE teams. What 3 leagues are you talking about? I'm talking about the ACC.

Reaction Score
Right there at that time, the BE needed to fire anyone associated with Providence, who did not know a flip about football, and hire a Commissioner who could run a football conference. .

Agree.

Reaction Score
I'm not at all impressed with AAU. It's a graduate research club that is full of politics. I has nothing to do with academics. Notre Dame is a great academic institution in the top 20 of American universities. It is not AAU. Who give a flip about AAU?

Research has nothing to do with academics. Crazy.

Reaction Score
Revs are not a secret. UConn made double in licensing ($25m) of any of the old BE teams. What 3 leagues are you talking about? I'm talking about the ACC.
Then why is Uconn not in the ACC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET