Iowa St. Got Cheated (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Iowa St. Got Cheated (merged thread)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Texas is being jobbed as well in the 4th Q against UCLA. It seems the team in white is the good guys to these refs and the team with a colored jersey is the bad guys

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just finished watching the Iowa St. Texas A&M game. A&M pushed, elbowed, hooked and hit Ashley Joens so many times and very few foul calls. The most egregious foul was at the end where Nixon hooked Ashley's arm as she drove the lane. All Carolyn Peck could do was talk about how she thought the ball was last touched by Ashley. Nothing about her arm being hooked. I don't want to hear you can't call a foul in the last few seconds. If it's a foul in the first few seconds, then it's a foul in the last few seconds. Sorry, Iowa St. You were ripped off. Once again A&M gets the benefit of no foul calls. They didn't deserve to make it to the second round. Whoever they play next, I hope they wipe you off the court.
I also watched that game. I concur with your observations 1000%. Iowa State got “hosed”!!! The Iowa State fan they showed in the stands that was irate had good reason to be. The Iowa State also got fouled on the inbound play, but was called for a foul when she elbows an opposing player trying to grab the ball.

You can accept a loss if you deserve it. But when you have a game taken from you, it hurts, and stays with you for awhile. Texas A&M should be going home, not Iowa State.

They didn’t help their cause late in the game when they started playing tentatively, and began to play not to lose. A&M never led at any time during regulation.

I’ll bet there wasn’t a dry eye in Iowa State’s locker room after the game. The players were crying, and the coaches were cussing. ? That guy is going to be upset for a week or two before he calms down. I pray none of those officials call our game. ??

On a lighter note, there were some very good games on today. Northwestern should still be playing, but could not hold the lead late in the 4th quarter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The elbows on that foul were cradling the ball to her body, they were not away from her body at all, and she was getting fouled by two TA&M players long before that call.

It is sort of funny seeing a 2 seed using the 'Louisville defense' against a 7 seed. Louisville was a 5 seed and employed it against Griner and the overall #1 seed. TA&M hasn't shown they belong any where at the top of the seed table.

If you watch the play you’re referring to you will see the official who called the jump ball was completely blocked out on the play by one of the A&M players who was trapping while the baseline official who had a clear view called nothing. A couple weeks ago I posted to not sleep on ISU, because they can shoot it, and you can’t foul them. Other than Ashley Jones, their next 3 best players are rookies. Watched them several times this year, & because of their youth turnovers hurt them in close games. Other than Baylor they were the team I would have least liked to draw from the Big 12, and actually the hardest to draw up an accurate scout on. Officials swallowed their whistles when Jones got fouled with 3 seconds left, and I thought they deserved to win the game.
Their last possession with the floor spread wasn’t ideal because ISU had their non scoring post in the game & it was clear her defender would double when Jones penetrated, which happened, & ISU didn’t get a decent look-rest is history. JMO

Carnac

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. Wow!! The refs definitely changed the outcome of this game. No question.
How the game has changed over the years. They have the ability to look at a video replay and still can’t get it right. Back in the day, there were only two refs, no 3 pt. line and no replay. SMH. ?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Just finished watching the Iowa St. Texas A&M game. A&M pushed, elbowed, hooked and hit Ashley Joens so many times and very few foul calls. The most egregious foul was at the end where Nixon hooked Ashley's arm as she drove the lane. All Carolyn Peck could do was talk about how she thought the ball was last touched by Ashley. Nothing about her arm being hooked. I don't want to hear you can't call a foul in the last few seconds. If it's a foul in the first few seconds, then it's a foul in the last few seconds. Sorry, Iowa St. You were ripped off. Once again A&M gets the benefit of no foul calls. They didn't deserve to make it to the second round. Whoever they play next, I hope they wipe you off the court.
Well, if it's any consolation TAMU taken to overtime by a meh team from the Big 12 means to me they don't have long for this tourney. Also Louisville struggling today says neither of these teams seem to be FF teams.

Reaction Score
That’s the guy I referenced in my comment. He had every right to be furious!!! :mad:

According to social media, that's Joens' father. With, ahem, a bit of a history of demonstrative body language in the audience, lol.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uconn is familiar with Iowa State, three point shooting, and Bill Fennelly - painful memory! March 20th 1999 # 1 Uconn vs. #4 Iowa State in Cincinnati Sweet 16. Final score Iowa State 64 Uconn 58.

Believe it is the last time a #1 seed Uconn failed to reach the FF.

Reaction Score
TA&M obviously should not have been a #2 seed. Only with a lot of help from the referees have they made it soon. I think the committee overseeded them and underseeded Baylor so they could set up a UConn-Baylor game.

Reaction Score
If you watch the play you’re referring to you will see the official who called the jump ball was completely blocked out on the play by one of the A&M players who was trapping while the baseline official who had a clear view called nothing. A couple weeks ago I posted to not sleep on ISU, because they can shoot it, and you can’t foul them. Other than Ashley Jones, their next 3 best players are rookies. Watched them several times this year, & because of their youth turnovers hurt them in close games. Other than Baylor they were the team I would have least liked to draw from the Big 12, and actually the hardest to draw up an accurate scout on. Officials swallowed their whistles when Jones got fouled with 3 seconds left, and I thought they deserved to win the game.
Their last possession with the floor spread wasn’t ideal because ISU had their non scoring post in the game & it was clear her defender would double when Jones penetrated, which happened, & ISU didn’t get a decent look-rest is history. JMO
Does anyone know why Kristen Scott only played 11 minutes? She made 3 3’s!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Bill Fennelly was incredibly classy and magnanimous at the post game press conference. He sounded like he certainly had an opinion about that "Jump ball" call but said he wasn't allowed to comment. Which they aren't supposed to but still - amazing restraint on his part. He was very much philosophical I think because he has such a young team and what they did bodes well for the future.

Women's Basketball

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
TA&M obviously should not have been a #2 seed. Only with a lot of help from the referees have they made it soon. I think the committee overseeded them and underseeded Baylor so they could set up a UConn-Baylor game.
Based on what they accomplished pre-NCAA tournament, they should've been a 1 seed. For what it's worth, Baylor split with Iowa State and both games were close just like today's game was too.

Reaction Score
Felt bad for Iowa St, the refs were not the best. TAMU is twice lucky in both rounds. SMH ...

Reaction Score
I didn’t have a horse in this race, but it was painful for me to watch. I saw how the game was trending and feel that Iowa didn’t get a fair shake. Since when does bear hugging a player from behind result in a held ball and not a foul?
The officials pinned this loss on Iowa with their incompetency (not purposely).
Hope they’re done for the rest of the tournament.

Reaction Score
How the game has changed over the years. They have the ability to look at a video replay and still can’t get it right. Back in the day, there were only two refs, no 3 pt. line and no replay. SMH. ?
The sad part is that when the refs saw on replay that it was wasn't a held ball, they can't reverse it. So much for "just get the call right".

Carnac

Reaction Score
Why does this game remind me of the Baylor Louisville game 8 years ago? Griner got mauled all game and we lose by 1 possession! I know how the Iowa states fan feel
I remember that game. You’re right, she did get mauled.........repeatedly. That was the Shoni Schimmel game were Louisville shot 67% from the field.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom