Iowa St @ #6 Baylor - 1/16/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Carolyn Peck announcing..ugh
Here’s a gem from her: Baylor is missing two of their 3 pt sharpshooters-Carrington and Bickle.
Um Dijanae is shooting 28% this year and 28% for her career. And Bickle is 2-12 .167. And as @SECbbfan24 correctly noted, this team is 32-105 or 30% on 3s this year.
Peck, Antonelli and Mary Murphy just rub me the wrong way. Peck makes a lot of mistakes, Antonelli acts as if she knows everything about basketball and she's always right and Murphy has a style and voice that is very irritating. However, many other people may really like them. Give me Brenda Van Legen. (sp)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Peck, Antonelli and Mary Murphy just rub me the wrong way. Peck makes a lot of mistakes, Antonelli acts as if she knows everything about basketball and she's always right and Murphy has a style and voice that is very irritating. However, many other people may really like them. Give me Brenda Van Legen. (sp)

Can't Kara moonlight?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
A few observations:
Baylor has been in lockdown for 2 weeks and held their 1st team practice this morning with Mulkey.
They were without 2 players who were in their rotation including Carrington who scores a lot for them.
This team is susceptible to strong and quick guard play and good outside shooting.
Their inside play was not good, fouls rack up way to fast for a 3rd year player like Egbo. Gusters is in terrible shape to run up and down the court. She too was highly ranked at #16 that leaves me shaking my head.
Given the current young talent and signed talent for Stanford, UConn, SC, Oregon, Baylor could be in trouble as an elite team for the next few years...but then again so could the rest of WCBB.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This may be the best analysis I have ever seen! Pithy and succinct, you should have just left that one sentence out and you would have scored a perfect 10!

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Some may think I'm a little off here but, I think Piath Gabriel has more upside than Gusters. I believe she will help UConn more than Gusters helps Baylor. She is definitely more athletic. Just what I believe.

Reaction Score
Iowa State is a chippy team. They have some great looking young kids.

I have been high on Smith and Egbo but to me they are weak inside and are not even close to the same caliber players Cox and Brown were. Both of them were able to hide with Kalani and Lauren on the team, just picking up open shots. Now that it's on them, they are not doing much.They got pushed around by a smaller Iowa State team.

Lauren and Kalani were fundamentally sound. Egbo and Smith rely purely on athleticism with very poor fundamentals. Egbo and Smith do not appear to have advanced very far fundamentally from their freshmen years.

COVID definitely playing a role but I also don't see the chemistry. Some of Kim's recent recruiting classes definitely have some big question marks. Surprising some of these kids were ranked as high as they were. Jaden Owens should start moving forward.

Reaction Score
Gusters is in terrible shape to run up and down the court. She too was highly ranked at #16 that leaves me shaking my head.
This was Gusters at the US trials in 2018
hannah-gusters-of-desoto-texas-participates-in-tryouts-for-the-2018-picture-id963711972

This is her now
c28ccfe2a87680239b1c3688b19c3565

She is clearly a talented kid and there was a reason all major programs pursued her, just needs to work hard on conditioning next offseason. She lost a lot of fluidity and athleticism over the last year, I hope she can get back to where she was before.

Andrews being ranked that high is just as surprising to me.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Iowa State is a chippy team. They have some great looking young kids.

I have been high on Smith and Egbo but to me they are weak inside and are not even close to the same caliber players Cox and Brown were. Both of them were able to hide with Kalani and Lauren on the team, just picking up open shots. Now that it's on them, they are not doing much.They got pushed around by a smaller Iowa State team.

Lauren and Kalani were fundamentally sound. Egbo and Smith rely purely on athleticism with very poor fundamentals. Egbo and Smith do not appear to have advanced very far fundamentally from their freshmen years.

COVID definitely playing a role but I also don't see the chemistry. Some of Kim's recent recruiting classes definitely have some big question marks. Surprising some of these kids were ranked as high as they were. Jaden Owens should start moving forward.

Smith is great but is built as more of a slasher/wing than a true 4. She played great off a big physical post like Cox/Brown but Egbo just doesn't have the same presence. Egbo made good strides last year but seems to have regressed this season. She doesn't have a great knack for where the basket is and often gets into foul trouble. Combine that with jumbled/inconsistent guard play due to transfers/covid/freshmen/injuries and it's a bit of a mess right now.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I was one of the 5 who didn't think that Baylor would beat Iowa State because they hadn't really practiced for 2 weeks, while ISU had won their two previous games in the last week.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If she feels that strongly, she should cancel her programs season. Her feelings are certainly propagating to her players. Either you believe in your precautions or you dont.

Reaction Score
The only thing I have to say is...... Lauren Cox!

Her stats her senior year weren't flashy, but she was amazing if you appreciate being a great teammate. She took defense seriously, and was not in foul trouble as often as Egbo. She wasn't a black hole in the post. She was often looking for the double team, and adjusting to shoot or pass depending on how she was guarded. She could also step out to the perimeter and be a threat out there as well. She really reminded of Steph Dolson, in that she was a facilitator at the the Center position. Although Cox has a higher upside because she has quick feet for a big, and she's better defensively.

I agree with other posters about how Egbo/Smith are very underwhelming this year. Smith is talented, but was fortunate to play with two All-Americans who got all of the attention defensively. She is a black hole. Her shot is going up, no matter what. Egbo cannot stop fouling. Her first two seasons, sometimes she gave me Brianna Turner vibes on the defensive end. But you cant play defense on the bench. She's been disappointing so far, because she was a player I was very excited to watch this year.

Reaction Score
Smith is great but is built as more of a slasher/wing than a true 4. She played great off a big physical post like Cox/Brown but Egbo just doesn't have the same presence. Egbo made good strides last year but seems to have regressed this season. She doesn't have a great knack for where the basket is and often gets into foul trouble. Combine that with jumbled/inconsistent guard play due to transfers/covid/freshmen/injuries and it's a bit of a mess right now.
Another problem is that she is a tweener. A wing needs an outside shot which she just doesn't have limiting her to inside and mid range scoring. She can be effective there against lesser players but strong post can out match her on both offense and defense. She also has problems defending perimeter players. She appeared to have been working on her 3pt shot early this season, but so far that has not been successful. Perhaps if she works on it alot in the off season, but she might be a player who can only slightly improve her outside shooting with work. Some players just have a low ceiling in that area.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This was Gusters at the US trials in 2018
hannah-gusters-of-desoto-texas-participates-in-tryouts-for-the-2018-picture-id963711972

This is her now
c28ccfe2a87680239b1c3688b19c3565

She is clearly a talented kid and there was a reason all major programs pursued her, just needs to work hard on conditioning next offseason. She lost a lot of fluidity and athleticism over the last year, I hope she can get back to where she was before.

Andrews being ranked that high is just as surprising to me.
When I saw her in the high school playoffs a year ago, she looked similar to the latter photo. Recall that she basically missed her junior season due to an ineligibility ruling after she transferred from Duncanville to Irving MacArthur.

Reaction Score
If anyone how has missed the game last night like myself..you can view it again on ESPN.com

Reaction Score
Did I see correctly; Mulkey storming off court without acknowledging Iowa st?

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
If she feels that strongly, she should cancel her programs season. Her feelings are certainly propagating to her players. Either you believe in your precautions or you dont.
It's something how coaches of good teams start complaining about the season continuing after their team starts losing, including the Duke men's team and now Baylor WBB.

Reaction Score
the cameras don’t show Kim...but you can see the Iowa coaches raising their arms toward the Baylor bench which indicates to me Kim must have waved back...just guessing though.

Reaction Score
Baylor did allow what seemed to me to be a great deal of fans in the aRena...odd

Reaction Score
Did I see correctly; Mulkey storming off court without acknowledging Iowa st?
There’s no handshake line this year.

I don’t think Mulkey was all that furious about this game. She acknowledged a boatload of excuses, lack of practices and lack of her being with the team, and being down a couple key players. She did say she was happy with the small lineup in this game, so I don’t know if that’s indicative of things to come.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom