Iowa St @ #6 Baylor - 1/16/21 | The Boneyard

Iowa St @ #6 Baylor - 1/16/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Should be a nice game between these two well coached programs.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am not sold on ISU being a great coached team. They are 8-4 and don't really have a good win among the 8 unless you want to hype the Ok State game as a good win. This is a pretty talented team but had bad loss at Texas and bad loss at Iowa as they blew a 17 point lead to start the 4th quarter. Good coaches don't let that happen.

Despite the win late last season against Baylor, I see payback for Kim and the Bears, even with the 2 weeks rust of covid-19. Rooting for a good game but Bill has let me down too many times...

Reaction Score
I am curious how Baylor handles the long layoff.

IMO they need to try to get Owens more reps and see how she progresses at the point. Baylor I think would thrive better if Didi was back at her normal position.

Still wondering how T. Oliver starts every week. I know they probably like Carrington off the bench but Andrews (despite her moments of wild play) is very good defender and rebounds as well for her size.

Gusters seems to be getting much better every week so theres that.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am curious how Baylor handles the long layoff.

IMO they need to try to get Owens more reps and see how she progresses at the point. Baylor I think would thrive better if Didi was back at her normal position.

Still wondering how T. Oliver starts every week. I know they probably like Carrington off the bench but Andrews (despite her moments of wild play) is very good defender and rebounds as well for her size.

Gusters seems to be getting much better every week so theres that.
Wait what? This team hasn't played since Jan 2, they have played 3 decent teams (USF, Ark, WV) and Gusters has played exactly 22 minutes combined in all 3 of those games, scoring a total of 10 points. But yeah, if you want to count the remaining 6 games against the JV that Baylor has won by a combined 586-251 (98-42 average) then, yeah sure Gusters seems to be getting better...:confused:

As far as Didi, she does have 45 assists to only 19 turnovers while Owens has played all of 2 games for 24 minutes after being declared eligible. To me, in the 4 valid games (I will add TCU conf. game) this team is lacking outside shooting and needs to limit their fouls. We saw Arkansas use their guard quickness and shooting to beat Baylor. So despite Baylor's gaudy numbers "bullying" lesser programs, I am not sold this team can play up tempo with other more talented teams. Does Owens solve that, probably not but she is a good ball-mover guard.

Reaction Score
It looks like this game is on ESPNU not ESPN2.
There seems to be a discrepancy, but both teams’ Twitter accounts are reporting the game as being on ESPN2.

Reaction Score
Wait what? This team hasn't played since Jan 2, they have played 3 decent teams (USF, Ark, WV) and Gusters has played exactly 22 minutes combined in all 3 of those games, scoring a total of 10 points. But yeah, if you want to count the remaining 6 games against the JV that Baylor has won by a combined 586-251 (98-42 average) then, yeah sure Gusters seems to be getting better...:confused:
I am watching her overall play, not just playing against bad teams. She barely played against Arkansas, which is understandable, given the pace they play at and her current conditioning but with more minutes she is getting more comfortable. Even though some of the games were against bad teams, she has impressed me more than Egbo (who I was expecting much more from). Point being as her minutes go up, the more she is settling in and developing. You won't develop playing 5-6 minutes a game off the bench.

Gusters should have played more vs TCU but Brock looks like he doesn't know how to manage a lineup.

As far as Didi, she does have 45 assists to only 19 turnovers while Owens has played all of 2 games for 24 minutes after being declared eligible. To me, in the 4 valid games (I will add TCU conf. game) this team is lacking outside shooting and needs to limit their fouls. We saw Arkansas use their guard quickness and shooting to beat Baylor. So despite Baylor's gaudy numbers "bullying" lesser programs, I am not sold this team can play up tempo with other more talented teams. Does Owens solve that, probably not but she is a good ball-mover guard.
I am not saying Owens is the solution but IMO they need to find out sooner than later if Owens is capable of playing a bigger role to the PG position for Baylor moving forward. Didi isn't bad but she is clearly out of position which also takes away other things she does so well. The game against McNeese which she only had 13 minutes, she had a 8/1 assist to TO ratio. She needs minutes to develop and to truly evaluate her. Again, she didn't play vs TCU. Brock's lineup choices in the absence of Mulkey was not very good. You can't tell me T. Oliver should be playing as much as she does...

You talk about outside shooting, that just isn't gonna be their strength period unless Owens and Andrews can step up next to Ursin to help out. Carrington is okay but isn't exactly a pure three point shooter.

Reaction Score
ESPN.com also says ESPN2. But my cable guide (Cox) shows it on ESPNU.
Cable guides are the least reliable source. I don’t think they ever update changes, at least not for wcbb.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
My cable guide (Spectrum) shows the game on ESPNU.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Well, it's 8 pm on the east coast and ESPNU is running a college football special, that they just aired from 7 pm to 8 pm.

Reaction Score
Kim must be reading my long posts about starting T. Oliver, Sarah Andrews getting the start tonight.

No Carrington or Bickle tonight?

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
On ESPN2, they are showing a banner at the top with Iowa State at Baylor.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Well, that was nice. ESPN2 showed the starting lineups...but all I could see were smiling faces with no names, because the names were hidden by the ticker at the bottom of the screen. Not helpful for those of us not intimately familiar with these teams.

Reaction Score
This Baylor team has awful chemistry. Smith thinks she has to shoot every time. Egbo is either turning it over or fouling. At the same time that looks like a team who has been off for a while. Very underwhelming so far.

Kim needs to hit the transfer portal for some shooters. They lack in this category a lot.

Reaction Score
This Baylor team has awful chemistry. Smith thinks she has to shoot every time.

At the same time that looks like a team who has been off for a while. Very underwhelming so far.

Kim needs to hit the transfer portal for some shooters.
ISU gonna bury Baylor early in this one if they keep nailing threes.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
It's really hard to develop any chemistry when your team has been on a layoff for a couple of weeks. Seeing Baylor come out with obvious signs of rust make me fear for what I'll see from NC State when they finally get to play again; they were rolling right before their shutdown.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom