Iowa Postgame Thread [merged thread] | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Iowa Postgame Thread [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What the blue deuce was the NCAA doing in cutting off Geno's postgame presser at 15 minutes? Did anyone else get cut off like that?

Reaction Score
UConn gets way more than their fair share of talent, but not by outspending everyone.
Someone will have to show me the data. But, lets consider Louisville vs Uconn: 2019-20 or thereabouts: Louisville: Revenue $1M- Expense $4M= ($3M) deficit, Uconn: Rev $4.5M - Exp $8.5M = ($4M) deficit. Uconn outspent Oregon by $6M. USF spent $3.2 in 2017. Maybe $3.7 by 2019?

So Uconn outspent Louisville by $4.5M, Oregon and USF by $4M. So who doesn't Uconn outspend? Stanford? Notre Dame? Baylor?

Reaction Score
That was a real killer. I think it was a 9 or 10 point margin, on back to back possessions Warnock had a pass go right thru her hands and out of bounds. UConn might've scored after both, I think any chance of a rally was done at that point.
In the post game press conference E observed whoever is in for Uconn means they have five killers on the court. Great line

Reaction Score
The Big 10 is clearly the best conference in women's basketball this year. For the 1st time ever? Many very good teams and one great team. While making a few ridiculous shots, Clark overall played a dumb game. Had she played smarter and taken what was given to her or Uconn not shot the lights out (for them) from the outside, game would have been in single digits.
Big 10 teams had a solid season with good prospects for the future.

Pac 12 continues to be the best overall conference.

Reaction Score
Yes, you can definitely argue that and I would not quibble. It is pretty close this year though.

Absolutely. I think recruiting has definitely improved in the Big 10. Certainly the experience with the Hawkeyes and Clark is going to create more interest and recruits considering Big Ten schools.

Interestingly this dated 2021 WNBA draft projection shows two Pac-12 players and zero Big 10 players.

That said conference achievement may not be measured completely by players at the next level. That said the level of play in the Big Ten and I'm thinking here of Maryland and Indiana is quite diverse. The same can also be said for the pac-12.

Reaction Score
In many respects, that was the best game we played this year by far and we only had 4 out of 5 cylinders working on offense. Evina was a pro and had her best game, CW was everything we have been wishing for and more, Paige was not at her very best but still had a complete game and almost imperceptibly put up impressive numbers, and everyone contributed in different ways. They are a team, first and foremost, and their defense was top shelf against one of the best offensive players in the country. Great win.
Agree that this was one of the best games UConn has played this year. Not sure what was the 5th cylinder not working. After the first few minutes when Huskies appeared tight, their motion offense was a thing of beauty. Even ONO, who didn't score much, played under control, didn't take bad shots, passed well, rebounded great, and opened the floor for others. Will take this level of performance any day.

Reaction Score
I totally agreed. She stopped a couple of runs single handedly by coming down and firing up (and missing) a long range three. Given the way (very well) the rest of the Iowa team was shooting, her taking crazy shots hurt the team badly. I don't blame her though, I blame her coach. It is responsibility of the coach to make sure the team is taking advantage of what the other team is giving them.
Agree that many of Clark's misses took some air out of their comeback, but if you have seen her play throughout the year, they were not "crazy." She has excelled this year as one of the longest of the long range 3 point shooters in basketball. Great defense by UConn likely main reason she missed but these were all shots she made consistently throughout year.

Reaction Score
UConn gets way more than their fair share of talent, but not by outspending everyone. We don’t have a Phil Knight sugar daddy, so we make due. Napheesa Collier recently said she chose UConn despite the superior facilities of some of the other suitors. Kelly Graves, Jose Fernandez and Jeff Walz were recruiting the same international players UConn recently signed, and obviously had the resources to do so. These kids just wanted to play for Geno.
While Walz and others have gotten big contracts the past few years, UConn has outspent its competition in coaching. Not just Geno but assistants as well. Great investments and well earned salaries.

Reaction Score
Strange comment. Taurasi is and always has been a shooter. The 'other' things are secondary to her.
Taurasi had to be trained to shoot first. She has always been a player that prefers passing.

She is, by far, the best overall offensive player in wbb history. IMO.

Reaction Score
Someone will have to show me the data. But, lets consider Louisville vs Uconn: 2019-20 or thereabouts: Louisville: Revenue $1M- Expense $4M= ($3M) deficit, Uconn: Rev $4.5M - Exp $8.5M = ($4M) deficit. Uconn outspent Oregon by $6M. USF spent $3.2 in 2017. Maybe $3.7 by 2019?

So Uconn outspent Louisville by $4.5M, Oregon and USF by $4M. So who doesn't Uconn outspend? Stanford? Notre Dame? Baylor?
All the schools account for revenue and allocate expenses differently. For instance, Oregon's "revenue" doesn't include Phil Knight's outside contribution to Kelly Graves' salary, nor his 100's of $millions gifted for space-age facilities (including Matthew Knight Arena) which are a huge recruiting advantage. UConn's expenses include relatively high salaries for WBB assistant coaches (CD $400+, Shea & Jamelle $200+), which you could say creates a recruiting advantage. Etc.

Reaction Score
When Tennessee had Holdsclaw, Catchings, Lawson and Parker they won the Championship. Name one Tennessee player since Parker who is close to these players in ability? Did Pat lose her ability to develop great talent or did Pat lose her ability to recruit great talent?

The Uconn-TN rift came to a head over Maya Moore, where Uconn 'recruitment' practices came under question. (UT filed NCAA complaint alleging UConn violations). Maybe if Pat had Maya, she would have a couple more titles and Geno a couple less? Who knows.
Pat never had the ability to develop great talent. Pat had the ability to recruit great talent, get them in shape, and get them to play hard. When Pat's God-given right to recruit all the top talent in the Southeast was challenged, she couldn't continue to dominate and she flipped out.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Schumacher is actually American but had gone to high school in Canada.

JUCO transfers Tihana Abrilic and Rashidat Sadiq were also nonUS.
Svet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22