Iowa Postgame Thread [merged thread] | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Iowa Postgame Thread [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Arkansas on a good day? Hogs beat Baylor early in the season.
Maybe, but UConn will test Baylor inside with Liv & Aaliyah and outside with Paige, Evina, Christyn & hopefully Nika. The Baylor vs Arkansas game was basically about Arkansas’s guards just taking the ball to the basket all game long against the Lady Bears and either scoring or getting to the foul line.

Reaction Score
In many respects, that was the best game we played this year by far and we only had 4 out of 5 cylinders working on offense. Evina was a pro and had her best game, CW was everything we have been wishing for and more, Paige was not at her very best but still had a complete game and almost imperceptibly put up impressive numbers, and everyone contributed in different ways. They are a team, first and foremost, and their defense was top shelf against one of the best offensive players in the country. Great win.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Maybe, but UConn will test Baylor inside with Liv & Aaliyah and outside with Paige, Evina, Christyn & hopefully Nika. The Baylor vs Arkansas game was basically about Arkansas’s guards just taking the ball to the basket all game long against the Lady Bears and either scoring or getting to the foul line.
Yes, certainly they go about scoring in different ways.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Interesting Iowa presser, both the coach and Clark repeatedly said the final score was not indicative of the game, just a ballooning of the score at the end. Uh, yeah that’s called closing out the game and what the best teams do.
Questions for the Iowa coach and/or Caitlin...how many times did you have the lead?
How long did you hold the lead?
What was your largest lead?
Just wondering...

Looking forward to watching the @MJL243 replay.

Reaction Score
People ask me why I watch women’s basketball rather than the men in college or the pros. Today's game was the perfect answer, a mix of skill, coaching, personal growth, and selflessness, that rarely exists in sports. I get to watch five bundles of exquisite talent blend in just the right way that maximizes the result. Go Huskies!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
People ask me why I watch women’s basketball rather than the men in college or the pros. Today's game was the perfect answer, a mix of skill, coaching, personal growth, and selflessness, that rarely exists in sports. I get to watch five bundles of exquisite talent blend in just the right way that maximizes the result. Go Huskies!
Well stated!!!! And I agree with you ?%.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
On Tuck v. Edwards - very different players. Tuck's post up game was a magician at work, Edwards is more like a sledge hammer. Tuck came in as a freshman to a complete team and with two great fellow freshman, yet she had the most polished and consistent game and was the first to win Geno's complete faith. And her defense was incredible throughout her career. (Prior to her arrival, she had been the one HS kid to be able to stop Stewart - good choice by Stewart to go to the same college! :cool:)

Edwards is playing great, but there is enormous room for improvement - she has the physical presence to surpass Tuck if she develops, and she is in the right place to learn from really good teachers. Right now she is playing on physicality and instinct, when she builds craftsmanship into her game there is no limit to what she could become.
There was a play in the High Point game when Aaliyah buried her defender in the lane and received a pass with her back to the basket. She spun quickly to her left with the ball in her right hand, but the High Point defender cut her off. Without any hesitation, Aaliyah spun back to her right, shifted the ball to her left hand and hit a soft bank shot off the glass. When I watched that, I immediately had a Morgan Tuck flashback.

Fast forward to the Syracuse game. Early in the game, Aaliyah was getting position in the low blocks and scoring over her defender. In the second half Syracuse started doubling her in the low blocks. Aaliyah made 2 beautiful passes out of the double team to Liv & Aubrey cutting down the lane that were the reincarnation of Morgan Tuck.

Aaliyah is bigger and more athletic than Tuck, and has a greater upside imo. Hence my characterization of Aaliyah as “Tuck 2.0.”

Reaction Score
UConn 92-72, Great win, just great 4Q.
CW 27, Paige 18, 9 rebs, 8 asts, AE 18, Evina 17 and Anna 2 three in big time

Clark is great but Paige is super.
Clark’s a shooter, Paige is just a great all-around player. Very Taurasi like. Eight assists and nine rebounds. Westbrook also almost had a triple double. Anna made a big splash too, a lot of positives for UConn in this game going forward. Add to that, Nika is almost ready.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Iowa game:
  • Evina did a nice job of settling down the youngsters early on, and once again delivered a little bit of everything with 15 pts, 9 rbs, 10 ast, 2 stl & 2 blocks.
  • Aaliyah runs the court like a freight train, and she is fast becoming “Tuck 2.0” in the low post.
  • Christyn really came to play today. She was spectacular putting up 27 pts. As Geno stated during the BE tournament, “When Christyn plays like that, we are a championship team.”
  • Paige had her own stat-stuffing game with 18 pts, 9 rbs, & 8 ast,
  • Liv with a big game on the boards leading the Huskies with 11 rebounds and also added 7 assists.
  • UConn did a good job of neutralizing Clark in the first half, but that left a lot of open looks for the rest of the Hawkeyes. In the second half, Clark was hitting contested shots from the cheap seats, although the Huskies picked it up again in the 4th qtr.
  • Somehow Anna snuck into the game and hit a monster 3 and then another that was icing on the cake.
  • This was a great basketball game between 2 really talented and well coached teams. Going to soak this one in for a few days before I start worrying about the Elite 8 matchup vs ?
  • Someone said the line moved up to -17.5 at game time?
I called it on Christyn’s game today. I feel so happy for her. She played like the All-American she should be. She could have had more points were it not for some questionable calls and non calls.

Reaction Score
Definitely. She's made it to the elbow already. She didn't have that at the beginning of the season.
The Tuck comparison is interesting, but Tuck’s biggest value to UCONN was she was the heart and leader of the team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There was a play in the High Point game when Aaliyah buried her defender in the lane and received a pass with her back to the basket. She spun quickly to her left with the ball in her right hand, but the High Point defender cut her off. Without any hesitation, Aaliyah spun back to her right, shifted the ball to her left hand and hit a soft bank shot off the glass. When I watched that, I immediately had a Morgan Tuck flashback.

Fast forward to the Syracuse game. Early in the game, Aaliyah was getting position in the low blocks and scoring over her defender. In the second half Syracuse started doubling her in the low blocks. Aaliyah made 2 beautiful passes out of the double team to Liv & Aubrey cutting down the lane that were the reincarnation of Morgan Tuck.

Aaliyah is bigger and more athletic than Tuck, and has a greater upside imo. Hence my characterization of Aaliyah as “Tuck 2.0.”
I agree that she may well be Tuck 3.0 but she isn't yet. She has those moments now, but she has a lot of moments that are a lot worse. Morgan in my memory had very few of those #@$%%#@$#$@ moments from her very first game. She had a very sophisticated understanding of the game as a freshman. Not unlike Kelly Faris of whom Geno once said, 'I doubt she will ever have a bad game' when Kelly was still a freshman.

Reaction Score
Clark was 2nd in the NCAA in assists per game this year. So no, she is not just a shooter.
She had five assists today, below her average. But first and foremost she is a shooter with incredible range. It’s her claim to fame. If you want to debate who is the better all around player, I say Paige hands down, with 8 assists, 9 rebounds, and 18 points. Maybe Clark had an off night in rebounding and assists.

Reaction Score
She had five assists today, below her average. But first and foremost she is a shooter with incredible range. It’s her claim to fame. If you want to debate who is the better all around player, I say Paige hands down, with 8 assists, 9 rebounds, and 18 points. Maybe Clark had an off night in rebounding and assists.
You said she was (just) a shooter.

That is wrong.

it is a lie that others on this site have tried as well, for some reason.

Reaction Score
Just rewatched the game on DVR and one of the things that jumped out for me during both viewings was the good sportsmanship during the game. Everytime a UCONN player was down, if a Hawkeye was near by they would help the player up. You do not see that too often anymore from opposing players. UCONN players do it sometimes but it seems like the Iowa players are mindful of it.

I know there were a few questionable fouls/non calls/flopping attempts but overall very well played game and you can see the respect from both teams. This was one time I wished the teams could have shaken hands because both teams were well deserving of the applause the lucky audience gave them when the game ended..

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Iowa game:
  • Evina did a nice job of settling down the youngsters early on, and once again delivered a little bit of everything with 15 pts, 9 rbs, 10 ast, 2 stl & 2 blocks.
  • Aaliyah runs the court like a freight train, and she is fast becoming “Tuck 2.0” in the low post.
  • Christyn really came to play today. She was spectacular putting up 27 pts. As Geno stated during the BE tournament, “When Christyn plays like that, we are a championship team.”
  • Paige had her own stat-stuffing game with 18 pts, 9 rbs, & 8 ast,
  • Liv with a big game on the boards leading the Huskies with 11 rebounds and also added 7 assists.
  • UConn did a good job of neutralizing Clark in the first half, but that left a lot of open looks for the rest of the Hawkeyes. In the second half, Clark was hitting contested shots from the cheap seats, although the Huskies picked it up again in the 4th qtr.
  • Somehow Anna snuck into the game and hit a monster 3 and then another that was icing on the cake.
  • This was a great basketball game between 2 really talented and well coached teams. Going to soak this one in for a few days before I start worrying about the Elite 8 matchup vs ?
  • Someone said the line moved up to -17.5 at game time?
Do we know when and what time the next game is?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Do we know when and what time the next game is?
It will be Monday night during prime time, but we won’t know for sure until ESPN confirms the time with the NCAA.

Reaction Score

I vote that you folks stop this inane comparison! The BY can't just enjoy that beautiful performance by the team! Aaliyah's playing as good as ANYONE in the USA right now. (Canada too) I think I may tune out the BY until the season's over, to everyone's delight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom