Iona Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Iona Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
What a second half out scoring scoring Iona, 50 to 24

Nice coming out the halftime with getting Hawkins a great look and back in the game along with the team picking up the defensive intensity.

Hurley also had the offense running full throttle right to the end which was good to see.

Reaction Score
This one might be partially on me, boys.

I have a tradition of not wearing UConn garb unless I’m physically at the game (live in DC).

Today, at a watch party, I wore a very nice UConn polo. Down 2 at the half.

Fortunately, I was prepared for such an occurrence and had a bag with a normal, bland shirt on location. Changed at halftime and took the UConn polo off. The rest speaks for itself.

I will not be wearing a UConn shirt on Sunday.

caw

Reaction Score
Pretty crazy that our guards got outplayed and we still won by 20!!!

Most impressive thing about this game was all the talk coming in was about how UConn turns the ball over and how Iona (and VCU's) press would bother UConn.

UConn had 9 total TOs, one in the final seconds by Springs and one on the shot clock violation by Romunglu, so 7 total turnovers in the first 39 minutes by the main players. That is also the guards (ie Newton/Diarra/Jackson) controlling the ball and the game.

Reaction Score
Feels amazing to get over that hump, credit to Hurley (and co) as the 2nd half adjustments were on point.

Sanogo, my god, his footwork is just inch perfect, and he dominated the boards too. If he can put two halves together half as good as that, watch out.

Hawk was the definition of a no-show in the first half, but he was determined to fix it. He had that intensity we need, and he even started driving a bit more. Love that, he needs to be a 3 level scorer.

Clingan was a BEAST. Perfect compliment to Adama, and the minutes distribution was key. Gotta keep both of them fresh.

Bench was overall great, and Newton was in control, even if he didn’t do much offensively.

On to the next one, Hurley masterclass in the 2nd, and he must feel like he has that monkey off his back. Let’s go!

Reaction Score
This one might be partially on me, boys.

I have a tradition of not wearing UConn garb unless I’m physically at the game (live in DC).

Today, at a watch party, I wore a very nice UConn polo. Down 2 at the half.

Fortunately, I was prepared for such an occurrence and had a bag with a normal, bland shirt on location. Changed at halftime and took the UConn polo off. The rest speaks for itself.

I will not be wearing a UConn shirt on Sunday.
I exposed my socks.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Won’t take all the credit but I changed from my kemba jersey to my UConn tshirt at half. Jersey ain’t coming back out..
Seconded - not exact jersey but switched at half

Reaction Score
Big East now 4-0 in the first round.
Chuck Barkley is wetting his pants over Kentucky and, since he knows everything, clearly PC is doomed

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
First half was bad, Iona was making shots but the defense just wasn't tight enough and Jackson simply can't be allowed to hoist threes like that ever again. Too many wasted possessions.

Hurley made all the adjustments at half, he clearly told Jackson he's going to sit if he keeps jacking them up, he got Hawkins off the schneid with a beautifully designed open look on the first possession, and he got Sanogo in single coverage and had them feed him the ball from good angles...

No more wasted possessions and they made the extra pass. Perfect example was Jackson turning down the three point hoist near the end of the clock to get Joey the open three. Defense was at a whole other level second half.

Adama's best game of his career considering the stakes. No show first half but he was otherworldly second half. Even orchestrated a play to get Hawkins a great look which he missed.

Clingan kept us in the game and was hugely inpactful the entire time he was in there.

We should play looser next game from the start, I really like our chances.

Reaction Score
Tale of Two Halves!
I had my doubts after Iona guards abused us all First Half....
Second Half, we were hot.
Jackson, AK, Clingan, Alleyne & Joey kept us in the game in the 1st.
2nd Sanogo came out hungry. POG.
Hawkins had his moments too.
Newton played better D.
Feeling a bit better to get a 1st Round Win.
Gotta keep it going against a very good Saint Mary's team!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom