Interesting comment by John A. in his latest.... | The Boneyard

Interesting comment by John A. in his latest....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"I am hearing the eyes of Texas will soon be upon a new women’s basketball coach."

LINK

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
well there are lots of schools in Texas. i wonder if someone is getting fired or quitting? GG at Texas would be my first guess but I can't imagine it would be Baylor or aTm and aside from Texas, there aren't many schools of national WCBB prominence.

i wonder if it could be one of our new big east bretheren, so to speak - Houston or SMU?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Eric, "The Eyes of Texas" is UT's fight song.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
well there are lots of schools in Texas. i wonder if someone is getting fired or quitting? GG at Texas would be my first guess but I can't imagine it would be Baylor or aTm and aside from Texas, there aren't many schools of national WCBB prominence.

i wonder if it could be one of our new big east bretheren, so to speak - Houston or SMU?
TCU is in Texas.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is Gail leaving voluntarily (for a promotion??) or involuntarily (for Seton Hall :)) ? She has not earned her money in Austin, in my view.

Reaction Score
"As for Cappie Pondexter, she should keep in mind what she was doing in 2010 before she gets her hopes up too high." what did he mean when he said that?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Again, the Eyes of Texas is the fight song of UT. No one talks about the eyes of Texas in reference to other schools in the state.

Is it possible that one of Geno's assistants or Jen received a phone call? Just wondering how John A would have caught wind of this.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"As for Cappie Pondexter, she should keep in mind what she was doing in 2010 before she gets her hopes up too high." what did he mean when he said that?
Her fashion business was more important than USA Basketball. She declined the invitation for the world championships.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Again, the Eyes of Texas is the fight song of UT. No one talks about the eyes of Texas in reference to other schools in the state.

Is it possible that one of Geno's assistants or Jen received a phone call? Just wondering how John A would have caught wind of this.
My irrefutable source on all things Texas is ... Alex. :D Whatcha hearing?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
My irrefutable source on all things Texas is ... Alex. :D Whatcha hearing?
Well, the chatter has gotten louder recently that GG simply isn't getting the program where she was expected to take it. Fans of WBB and detractors have gotten more cacophonous. Baylor's success and A&M winning an NC last year didn't help, plus Texas has been really disappointing this season, especially on the road.

However, that's fan chatter. Chris Plonsky's been silent on the matter, as expected. But there is pressure to get a return on a seven figure salary and to put quality programming on the longhorn network.

I just don't know who they hire. Texas can afford any price tag, but no one who will move has the pedigree G had at Duke. That being said, standing pat is seeming like less of an option.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well, the chatter has gotten louder recently that GG simply isn't getting the program where she was expected to take it. Fans of WBB and detractors have gotten more cacophonous. Baylor's success and A&M winning an NC last year didn't help, plus Texas has been really disappointing this season, especially on the road.

However, that's fan chatter. Chris Plonsky's been silent on the matter, as expected. But there is pressure to get a return on a seven figure salary and to put quality programming on the longhorn network.

I just don't know who they hire. Texas can afford any price tag, but no one who will move has the pedigree G had at Duke. That being said, standing pat is seeming like less of an option.
For $1 M per year (or a little more), I think deep runs into the NCAAs were expected. They seem headed in the wrong direction this year.

I agree--the success of TAMU and Baylor does not help her situation at all.

Standing Pat? I used to be unable to stand her, but I feel for her now.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Indeed, I think the expectation was Duke-level success or better.

Going to be very interesting to say the least with both UTs possibly shopping around. Those are two cherry jobs. Obviously, John A could be misinformed, but there is no way G's position is tenable past one more season at most if things continue as they have been.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
TCU is in Texas.

Definitely about the extended ones and GG, and if the coach did happen to be a guy from the Big East (low-ville part), a certain other board that also has an orange UT in its moniker would be in full froth, especially following the recent comments of another Big East coach about their own situation. But if the announcement is imminent, it's more likely to be someone currently out of the action (sports channel talking head) or one whose team is not strongly in the running.

Reaction Score

He was just in Oklahoma, right? Big 12?

And I'm not sure it's correct; I've heard otherwise.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
He was just in Oklahoma, right? Big 12?

And I'm not sure it's correct; I've heard otherwise.
Possible that there could have been some chatter in Norman, but it would have a low probability of being accurate. Unless someone had contacted Sherri to gauge her interest.

Don't know what you've heard, obviously, but I don't see how Plonsky could justify giving G more than one year after this one. Something just ain't working.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 press was there, and I'm sure that's who they talked to.

She's still under contract is part of it, plus they have had some injuries, and a big recruit coming in.

Actually listen to Shootaround with Beth & Debbie, where I am a guest, I believe tomorrow. It was discussed.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Given the timing I would think he picked up a wiff of something in Oklahoma but whether it is accurate is a whole other matter.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, I'll definitely listen. :)

They have had a ton of injuries in their backcourt, but there's got to be a point where you ask how much better are you now than in 2007, and if the answer is "marginally," injuries aren't an acceptable excuse. Imani Stafford is an intriguing prospect, especially if it's possible to have her and Cokie on the floor at the same time, but I don't see her as a program changing kind of talent.

Reaction Score
TCU is in Texas.
Right, Nan.

I don't know what Eric's drinking, but over the years the state of Texas has several times had 5 schools in the Top 25 in WCBB in the same week, which number is wildly disproportionate to the state's population.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
hmmmm.....i going to have to think on this one for a bit. It takes on major WCBB program to change coaches and its like a domino effect in places. I personally think Walz will not leave Louisville.

The YUM center is amazing and he is continuing to build a respectable program in Louisville.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Her fashion business was more important than USA Basketball. She declined the invitation for the world championships.
this is why I think she doesnt make the Olympic team

Reaction Score

I wonder if it could be one of our new big east bretheren, so to speak - Houston or SMU?
My 1st guess would be Texas.
The only way that Baylor or aTm is a possibilility is if something HUGE was in the air involving Tenn! I do not see that happening with those 2 coaches. TCU,and other smaller basketball schools in Texas come to mind!
It is interesting that this peace of speculation is coming right after we were in Oklahoma!!! So the news could have come from there. Brings me back to TEXAS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom