Interesting comment by John A. in his latest.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Interesting comment by John A. in his latest....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
After reading John A's comment, then those in this thread, the feeling is akin to being in a hotel room, late at night, waiting for that darned guy upstairs to drop his other shoe so I could finally go to sleep.

Time will tell if his speculation or ours is spot-on or just routine message board speculation.

The irresistible interpretation of the "eyes of Texas" remark is that John is referring to Gail Goestenkers being on the way out at the University of Texas. Couching it as he did, mentioning a "new coach," may have inadvertently or mistakenly focused on some new coach coming in rather than the current coach heading out, but I happen to believe that any as yet untold story is about an unscheduled exit, not the announcement of someone new taking the reins.

Surely the Texas U. administration hired Gail in the expectation that she would repeat the combination of promise and success she had achieved at Duke. And it is clear that this has not yet happened while other teams (or "programs," if you wish) at Baylor and Texas A & M have excelled in spectacular fashion. The gap between high expectations and marginal results could hasten her departure.

All we can do now is to wait to hear the other shoe drop.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
After reading John A's comment, then those in this thread, the feeling is akin to being in a hotel room, late at night, waiting for that darned guy upstairs to drop his other shoe so I could finally go to sleep.

Time will tell if his speculation or ours is spot-on or just routine message board speculation.

The irresistible interpretation of the "eyes of Texas" remark is that John is referring to Gail Goestenkers being on the way out at the University of Texas. Couching it as he did, mentioning a "new coach," may have inadvertently or mistakenly focused on some new coach coming in rather than the current coach heading out, but I happen to believe that any as yet untold story is about an unscheduled exit, not the announcement of someone new taking the reins.

Surely the Texas U. administration hired Gail in the expectation that she would repeat the combination of promise and success she had achieved at Duke. And it is clear that this has not yet happened while other teams (or "programs," if you wish) at Baylor and Texas A & M have excelled in spectacular fashion. The gap between high expectations and marginal results could hasten her departure.

All we can do now is to wait to hear the other shoe drop.
Kib Im really loving your way of thinking over the past 12mths or so (give or take)

Reaction Score
the die hards like me can only wish that gg would get the hell out of Texas. as everyone finally is seeing she is NOT A FIT FOR TEXAS WOMENS BASKETBALL PERIOD. my left but cheek has more personality that her and is ten times nicer. no one is going to games again until she is gone. my wife and i sure arent and neither are hundreds of the die hards. so if plonsky wants to keep her #1 pick of a coach that is over paid and over rated let it be. Jody Conradt had more people attending her open practices than what this horrible coach has attending her games. its a sad day to be a Texas Women's basketball fan.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
the die hards like me can only wish that gg would get the hell out of Texas. as everyone finally is seeing she is NOT A FIT FOR TEXAS WOMENS BASKETBALL PERIOD. my left but cheek has more personality that her and is ten times nicer. no one is going to games again until she is gone. my wife and i sure arent and neither are hundreds of the die hards. so if plonsky wants to keep her #1 pick of a coach that is over paid and over rated let it be. Jody Conradt had more people attending her open practices than what this horrible coach has attending her games. its a sad day to be a Texas Women's basketball fan.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel about her?

Reaction Score
hmmmm.....i going to have to think on this one for a bit. It takes on major WCBB program to change coaches and its like a domino effect in places. I personally think Walz will not leave Louisville.

The YUM center is amazing and he is continuing to build a respectable program in Louisville.
I think Walz will receive offers for a lot more money when major school vacancies occur. Would Louisville match an offer for $1.5 million/year? TN and TX might offer that. Would Walz accept a substantial increase in salary and decide to stay at Louisville.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Walz will receive offers for a lot more money when major school vacancies occur. Would Louisville match an offer for $1.5 million/year? TN and TX might offer that. Would Walz accept a substantial increase in salary and decide to stay at Louisville.
I doubt Louisville would have to match $ for $, but they would probably have to up their ante significantly - which I think they would do. I have to believe with the attendance they are getting at the Yum, the program has to be doing much better financial since he arrived. The reason I don't think they have to match dollars is that Louisville is 'Jeff's program' and the facilities are state of the art. Sort of like a 'home town discount' for pro players. That is why unless the $ number gets ridiculous, folks like Jeff, Muffett, Kim, Sherri who have placed their name on the programs they lead, just aren't likely to be tempted to take over someone elses mess.
I actually think Texas is a more attractive program than TN - at Texas you are already one coach removed from a legend (and that legend had already lost some luster at the end.) At TN you are THE COACH WHO REPLACED THE LEGEND - and unless you win an NCAA your first year, it is going to be a huge load of baggage you are carrying.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
And even if you win an NC, if you don't keep winning at the clip Pat did, fans can get antsy. Look at Tubby Smith's career at Kentucky, for instance.

Texas would be a very attractive job. The money will be there. Fan expectations are high but not rabid. Facilities are top notch. There are local recruiting options, and Texas is an attractive enough school in terms of academics, college life, city of Austin, etc., to attract national recruits.

The one major issue that Texas has to deal with if it wants to recruit primarily in-state is that Texas built up a reputation as a "lesbian program" under Jody. The reality is that homophobia is alive and well everywhere, but especially in small-town Texas. There is the perception that if you send your daughter to Austin, "she'll come back gay." Hiring a man would probably take care of that issue in large part. However, the question is whether you want to reinforce homophobia by responding to it directly like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom