"Insignificant" | The Boneyard

"Insignificant"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A lot of talk from Cuse fans on how UConn is now insignificant because of this one year ban, or how we don't have a future because we're not in the ACC today. They can't claim any superiority for anything real, results on the court, trophies, developing NBA talent, so they claim "UConn wont be around in 3 years and we will" HAHAHA

I just find it hilarious. If anything, we're set up better for the future than Cuse is.

Obviously not being in the ACC right now sucks but anyone who doesn't think we won't be sharing a conference with the fruit in 2 years or so is insane. FSU, GT, UNC, Clemson, someone will go, or all the leagues will go to 16 teams and we'll be there either way. We're just playing a waiting game now. The good thing is bball isn't football. You don't have to be in a strong league to recruit or win a title (Memphis, Xavier, Gonzaga, VCU, Butler, on and on).

We have a distinct advantage going forward in the fact we've already found our heir apparent to our hall of fame program building coach (not to mention more titles, final 4s, NBA success, etc). Ollie will continue the Calhoun era and carry it on for years to come. He's proven he is a great motivator, coach, and soon (no doubt in my mind) recruiter.

How Syracuse is going to make this transition in a few years is still up in the air and I think that is a much bigger question mark than what league we'll be in 2-3 years from now.

Reaction Score
If the acc loses UNC, they won't be laughing anymore.

Reaction Score
The ACC will fall apart for the same reasons that the Big East is falling apart. Clemson and FL State are already trying to leave

Reaction Score
I just find it hilarious. If anything, we're set up better for the future than Cuse is.

This line is tremendous - btw. Tremendous in the same kind of way that a train wreck is..

I think many UCONN fans seriously understimate the importance of Jim Calhoun in UCONN's success. He was arguably the best tournament coach in the modern era. Kevin Ollie may turn out to be really good, but to expect anything close to JC's level is a recipe for disappointment.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
10348232-large.jpg

vs.

10356980-large.jpg

Win two more titles and then we can talk.

Reaction Score
This line is tremendous - btw. Tremendous in the same kind of way that a train wreck is..

I think many UCONN fans seriously understimate the importance of Jim Calhoun in UCONN's success. He was arguably the best tournament coach in the modern era. Kevin Ollie may turn out to be really good, but to expect anything close to JC's level is a recipe for disappointment.
This was comparing UConn's future vs. Cuse's not Calhoun vs. KO

Reaction Score
Great post.

How did BC adjust to the move to the ACC? They love the whole "UConn is stuck in the BE so they are now irrelevant."

I hate to break it to them but a team from the Horizon league, Butler, has more Final Fours then they do this century. Conference affiliation does not mean much in basketball.

There are five teams who have won more NCAA tournament games then UConn this century, and Cuse is not one of them. In fact they are not even close. They could win a tittle this year and still be behind us. We are not going anywhere.

Anyone thinks UConn is on the path to irrelevance is just stupid and scared.

Reaction Score

He will recruit better than Calhoun did. That should pick up any slack.

Reaction Score
Honestly duck Cuse. I hate everything about them. I hate that weasel Boeheim. I hate their fan base more than any fan base in the country. They hate us out of pure jealously, plain and simple. They are the ultimate chokers. Syracuse has won as many Sweet 16 games as UConn has won national championships in the last 20 years. Personally I hope we continue to play each other as they move to the ACC. After going on their board they want nothing to do with us. It eats them up inside that UConn is the superior program. They hope and pray that UConn falls of the map. That will not happen. We got the right man for the job, a beautiful new practice facility on the way and as Camp Calhoun stated, UConn will find a new home. UConn will soon again be wearing new National Championship shirts while Syracuse will hold their pride on being ranked #1 in the country in December.

Reaction Score
This was comparing UConn's future vs. Cuse's not Calhoun vs. KO
I know - but his frame of reference is a Jim Calhoun coached team. That is history.
Kevin Ollie has not even won a tournament game yet - how can anyone possibly assume he will continue with the same level of success as Jim Calhoun, who is arguably one of the best ever. The chance of that is astronomical.

Reaction Score
I think it's pretty funny how much they worship Carmelo Anthony. Yes they would have zero championships without him but the dude was only there for 6 months. It's not like Boeheim developed him or anything. Anthony would be the same player he is now with or without his short stint in CNY.

Reaction Score
Gotta love the Syracuse trolls coming out defending the only thing they can realistically harp on (things that are imaginary and haven't happened yet). How many #1 ranking t-shirts did you buy when they came out?

When you know you're going to flame out in the sweet 16 every year isn't it like having a continuous post-season ban? We wouldn't really know, we win championshipS.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One interesting thing, to me anyway, that i've not seen mentioned much is the possibility that the ACC will soon look like the old big east. if FSU, Clemson, and even UNC bolt, who does the ACC add? UCONN? Cinci? USF? then you end up with a conference that has BCU, Va Tech, Miami, UCONN, Syracuse, Pitt, Cinci, USF... Kinda like the old days!

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

Sure, but the real comparison will be Ollie vs. Mr. Coach-in-waiting-for-20-years up there in the tundra. We're starting to get a sense of Ollie, but it's anyone's guess on the other guy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Cuse trolls are right I must admit. UConn has beat them on the court and they have beat us off.

Reaction Score
He gave them their only title and he's given them the cache with recruits, I know they like to credit Hopkins for all of their recent recruiting success but they can thank Melo for that more than they can Hopkins. They should worship the ground Melo walks on.

I think it's pretty funny how much they worship Carmelo Anthony. Yes they would have zero championships without him but the dude was only there for 6 months. It's not like Boeheim developed him or anything. Anthony would be the same player he is now with or without his short stint in CNY.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
We will be in a different conference before they win 2 more titles.

Reaction Score
this is also known as a "pipe dream"

Hopkins was part of the Cuse team that feel victim to first 15 over 2 upset. I am glad they are not straying from their NCAA tournament underachieving recipe when Boehiem leaves.

Orc

Reaction Score
Insignificant is when you have zero final fours to speak of in almost a decade.

Reaction Score
this is also known as a "pipe dream"

Uh no, it's not. Calhoun was good at landing top 100 guys, not top 20s. Given Ollie's demeanor, his long NBA career, his connections in the NBA, he will being a lot more honey to the recruiting process. You watch.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Melo did pony up millions to their program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom