Insider: Herbst in over her head | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Insider: Herbst in over her head

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Granted Warde is in over his head inept, but it is really about Susan - she is not liked by her peers - the Univeristy Presidents are a club - they are the ones who vote on conference admissions - and UC has been losing that vote to lesser schools.

Do you have any evidence for this, or are you just guessing? I figure the latter, since nobody makes multimillion dollar decisions based on personal feelings about someone who lives and works 500 miles away that they might see once a year.

C

Chief00

Do you have any evidence for this, or are you just guessing? I figure the latter, since nobody makes multimillion dollar decisions based on personal feelings about someone who lives and works 500 miles away that they might see once a year.
its the truth - evidence is all around you.....but also spoken by those in the club
the problem is if you have real legit sources like me you can't say who they are......but just remember I said early on the NCAA penalties would be really bad and they were - this source is as good as that one.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I've heard the same thing. I posted after the Louisville debacle that I didn't think she got it, and probably doesn't much care what conference we're in, or at least doesn't care that much. In fact I heard one person say his impression is that if she had her way UConn would play Ivy League style athletics. Now I took that as a comment from someone who was frustrated and exaggerated to make a point, bu tI think the basic point, that she doesn't get the importance of this, is totally accurate.

It it's true that she prefers Ivy League athletics, then she's the second coming of former UCONN prez Homer Babbidge. That was his and John Toner's view of the athletic program in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Toner came to us from Columbia.

Reaction Score

I have been told the same. She is not well liked among peers and a large portion of her employees.

Reaction Score
[quote="UConn9604, post: 436366, member: 1316"
Finally, I'm starting to wonder whose side the Courant is really on. Can you imagine the Courier-Journal undermining Louisville, or the Star-Ledger throwing Rutgers under the bus, through this whole process? Of course not. Those papers have been the biggest cheerleaders of their schools' efforts to jump to new leagues so far. At the Courant, however, they can't denigrate us enough. Given a choice between Susan Herbst as my school's President, or Christopher Keating running my local paper's political bureau, I pick Herbst six days a week and twice on Sundays. He can go take a hike.[/quote]

The lack of support for UConn is a huge reason I canceled my 7-day subscription years ago.

Reaction Score
I'd like to know who the 'insider' is . . . . probably someone who thought PP was an excellent hire and Hathaway was doing a fantastic job. Or someone in the Horde. This is classic case of a non-sports reporter pretending to be Mike Lupica for a couple of hours who couldn't tell you Utah and Colorado are in the Pac 12. Probably the same person spreading that s***t she was "begging" to say.

That said, I'm not happy she seemingly signed off on the decision to keep PP because it sent a "business as usual" message in a time where just the opposite was required - and if she wasn't involved in any way in the decision I'd be more aghast. I'm pretty sure she's aware how this ends is going to define her presidency, whether she likes it or not. I don't think she's getting much sleep in the past few days. With that salary, she shouldn't be.

Reaction Score
chief, not doubting you. so you say that she is disliked among university presidents. which university presidents are you speaking of? surely revealing the identities of these presidents wouldn't compromise your sources. so tell us? because to be quite frank with you, if you come here and assasinate someone's character, and use such inflammatory language, be prepared to back it up.

its the truth - evidence is all around you.....but also spoken by those in the club
the problem is if you have real legit sources like me you can't say who they are......but just remember I said early on the NCAA penalties would be really bad and they were - this source is as good as that one.

Reaction Score
You can not put the ACC decision on SH, and to say she is not well liked is total garbage. I'm very sure Susan was told by the old line ACC bb schools that UConn was in, just play it cool

Here is what then happened with the ACC - UConn was the school of choice by Tobacco Road (UNC, Duke, Wake, and UVA). Normally that means NC State, GT, and VT support. FSU and Clemson always get hosed and no one cares what BCU and Miami have to say. However this time, FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, FSU and Clemson got GT, VT, and Miami on board. With the vote 5 to 4 the ACC fb schools trumped the ACC bb schools. This was the first decision EVER that UNC was outvoted on. The power now lies with the fb schools, but it will be fleeting because at some point the NCAA shuts Miami down with a 7 year bowl ban, etc, and SyraPitt and UL will side with bb schools.

So Susan played it the only way she could. Now WM is a different story and I believe the old saying, "tits on a bull" describes him to a T.

C

Chief00

You can not put the ACC decision on SH, and to say she is not well liked is total garbage. I'm very sure Susan was told by the old line ACC bb schools that UConn was in, just play it cool

Here is what then happened with the ACC - UConn was the school of choice by Tobacco Road (UNC, Duke, Wake, and UVA). Normally that means NC State, GT, and VT support. FSU and Clemson always get hosed and no one cares what BCU and Miami have to say. However this time, FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, FSU and Clemson got GT, VT, and Miami on board. With the vote 5 to 4 the ACC fb schools trumped the ACC bb schools. This was the first decision EVER that UNC was outvoted on. The power now lies with the fb schools, but it will be fleeting because at some point the NCAA shuts Miami down with a 7 year bowl ban, etc, and SyraPitt and UL will side with bb schools.

So Susan played it the only way she could. Now WM is a different story and I believe the old saying, "tits on a bull" describes him to a T.

I was told the Miami Prez did not return her calls, But also that she was very disliked within the former Big East by both FB and BB schools. Some of these schools have influence but not votes yet in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I was told the Miami Prez did not return her calls, But also that she was very disliked within the former Big East by both FB and BB schools. Some of these schools have influence but not votes yet in the ACC.

Shalala doesn't like her?

Reaction Score
Granted Warde is in over his head inept, but it is really about Susan - she is not liked by her peers - the Univeristy Presidents are a club - they are the ones who vote on conference admissions - and UC has been losing that vote to lesser schools.

I don't quite buy that chief, but let's say it true. You being a woman might have something to do with that? The priests in charge of Catholic schools don't dig her? Same dudes that likely spread the word she was "begging" them to stay? Big f--in deal.

To be honest, I'd be interested to see her play the Title IX card - that all these conference moves are having an adverse effect on an elite women's basketball program, which is one of the few profitable ones in the country, which in turn affects all the other women's programs which would be threatened (like the ones at Rutgers and Maryland that were bagged b/c of poor management).

Reaction Score
I am told that's unusual - there is a certain courtesy about returning calls between Univ Prez's.
That had to do with the lawsuit way back when, not Shalala supposedly disliking Herbst.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

It's hard to hang our hat on Pitt and Cuse, and supposedly Cuse was lobbying for UL. Still if there's one thing to hope for it's for them to want another northern partner. Add UConn and Cincy and everybody's happy. Uh... and USF with some random team to the B12.

To the OP, I would agree that Susan is not in control of the situation, but that is not quite the same thing as in over her head.

Reaction Score
Susan Herbst has been great for academic progress at UConn. In the end, universities are about education, and in that regard, she's done a tremendous job.

Having said that, I've heard from someone who has consistent interactions with Herbst that she just doesn't quite understand the monumental impact of conference realignment. Her attitude has apparently been "the Big East has been a good home for us, we'll continue to do well here." I really hope that she understands it more than she's letting on, but my connection seems pretty confident that she's far more concerned with academics than athletics (as she probably should be). If this is accurate, I blame those around her, especially Warde Manuel, for not making it abundantly clear to her just how crucial this process is for the continued success of the university.

My phone is flipping out on me but I hope the above is not true.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
the Hartford Courant also said UConn should withdraw from the Big East and go back to the Yankee Conference, because inner city kids will never choose Storrs CT over the cities and we can never compete with St John's, Providence, Pitt, Georgetown, Nova and Cuse

being wrong about life is a prerequisite for modern day journalism, although there are exceptions

Reaction Score
I have been told the same. She is not well liked among peers and a large portion of her employees.

People don't like that she is demanding accountability? That she is goal oriented? That she doesn't want the status quo? Sucks having a new boss and having the rules change.

I hear she is putting the screws to people that thought they were untouchable.

Reaction Score
People don't like that she is demanding accountability? That she is goal oriented? That she doesn't want the status quo? Sucks having a new boss and having the rules change.

I hear she is putting the screws to people that thought they were untouchable.

Exactly. Some people have trouble adjusting to new leadership. Unfortunately, many use the "Nobody likes the new manager" line because they are so scared of change and new ideas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
And I can't say how big of an issue this is for her. But as I've said all along, athletics is PART of a university. This population may not care if the academics are any better than Salve Regina as long as we win games, but that isn't her only job.

If her attitude is make the university so great that it cannot be ignored, I find that hard to fault in the long term. The student body is far more diverse and of a higher quality than it has ever been. And yes, our athletic success has helped bring that along. But that is 99% hoops. NOBODY is applying to Uconn because they love the big time college football atmosphere.

Conference realignment can't be her number 1 priority.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure if UConn ended up in the ACC or BiG Herbst and Manuel would have that fact as huge bullet points on their resumes. If UConn doesn't then they get the EZ Pass?

Reaction Score
And I can't say how big of an issue this is for her. But as I've said all along, athletics is PART of a university. This population may not care if the academics are any better than Salve Regina as long as we win games, but that isn't her only job.

If her attitude is make the university so great that it cannot be ignored, I find that hard to fault in the long term. The student body is far more diverse and of a higher quality than it has ever been. And yes, our athletic success has helped bring that along. But that is 99% hoops. NOBODY is applying to Uconn because they love the big time college football atmosphere.

Conference realignment can't be her number 1 priority.

When you consider the money suck of athletics yearly, and the big payout in the other conferences, a differential of $20m in TV rights alone, and you add to that nightmarish scenarios of empty seats from a disintegrating product, we could be talking about $30-40 million in losses on top of the $10 million they already lose, ell, with that kind of money at stake, it better be her priority. If endowments are returning 4% in interest per year, and some of the 4% has to be reinvested in the endowment, then do the calculations. The losses are the equivalent of losing a half billion in endowment. This is a huge amount of money, which makes much of this thread preposterous. If Herbst really doesn't put this as priority #1 right now, you have to be scared for the university as a whole, because she is taking huge risks with her maneuvers on the academic side (ie. shifting resources, raising tuition).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom