Insider: Herbst in over her head | The Boneyard

Insider: Herbst in over her head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Frankly, she's not been on the job long, and when she was hired we were in a perfectly stable conference coming off titles and a BCS bowl. There didn't seem to be much reason for her to have much athletic background.

Reaction Score
I keep hearing from credible people that this isn't true. I just don't think she has the right help to guide the institution through this.

The AD didn't even know if he was big enough to make a presentation to the ACC. His words, not mine.

I mean really!? Jurich drank his milkshake.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
good ole hartford courant. uconn clearly doesn't have the talent to win in the game of CR....

Reaction Score
You'd think insiders would know subject/verb agreement.

Plus, insiders that aren't on the inside of the big ten dialogue aren't really insiders, are they?

Reaction Score
Frankly, she's not been on the job long, and when she was hired we were in a perfectly stable conference coming off titles and a BCS bowl. There didn't seem to be much reason for her to have much athletic background.

We have not been in a stable conference since BC, VT, UM moved to the ACC. We have been in a marriage of convenience between parties whose interests were not alligned. It remains to be see if SH is in over her head. To date she has talked a better game than she played regarding UConn sports. Lets hope that is not the case in the future or in other more important aspects of her job.

U

UConn9604

I don't get the criticism of Herbst. I mean, what President -- hired months before Syracuse's and Pitt's departure -- had experience in this type of conference realignment nonsense, and would you ever base a hire of a President of your flagship University on how well she sells snake oil?

Objectively, it's problematic to think that a President -- who has to manage a large University of disparate parts -- should spend any significant time on this concept.

This is all the AD's job. When the chips are down, and the final results are in, we should grade Manuel on whether or not he delivered the results we want. Herbst's only role should be as a closer, and her credit or blame in this mess should be based on her hire of Manuel.

Finally, I'm starting to wonder whose side the Courant is really on. Can you imagine the Courier-Journal undermining Louisville, or the Star-Ledger throwing Rutgers under the bus, through this whole process? Of course not. Those papers have been the biggest cheerleaders of their schools' efforts to jump to new leagues so far. At the Courant, however, they can't denigrate us enough. Given a choice between Susan Herbst as my school's President, or Christopher Keating running my local paper's political bureau, I pick Herbst six days a week and twice on Sundays. He can go take a hike.

Reaction Score
I'm of the opinion that Manuel is gone pretty soon and except fo rthe fact that UConn just went through a presidential search, which is time consuming and costly and delays any forward progress for the university on so many fronts, she would be leaving in a year too. I think she will probably survive this but in a greatly weakened position. She'll be facing lots more pushback from the BoT, politicians and the public over spending, hiring and similar decisions. If anything goes wrong with any of her initiatives, look out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As I posted elsewhere, I am beginning to suspect that Suzie is more of a big picture girl. Strategic vision, not a problem. Even implementing a well thought out strategic plan, still good to go. Getting down in dirty in the conference realignment mud, perhaps not her strong suit. Normally her skill set would be fine, in the current environment, she may be out of her element.

Reaction Score
As I posted elsewhere, I am beginning to suspect that Suzie is more of a big picture girl. Strategic vision, not a problem. Even implementing a well thought out strategic plan, still good to go. Getting down in dirty in the conference realignment mud, perhaps not her strong suit. Normally her skill set would be fine, in the current environment, she may be out of her element.

An untested former Buffalo AD, is not the weapon of choice. If he is a Rock Star, then he is Justin Beiber.

Reaction Score
Susan Herbst has been great for academic progress at UConn. In the end, universities are about education, and in that regard, she's done a tremendous job.

Having said that, I've heard from someone who has consistent interactions with Herbst that she just doesn't quite understand the monumental impact of conference realignment. Her attitude has apparently been "the Big East has been a good home for us, we'll continue to do well here." I really hope that she understands it more than she's letting on, but my connection seems pretty confident that she's far more concerned with academics than athletics (as she probably should be). If this is accurate, I blame those around her, especially Warde Manuel, for not making it abundantly clear to her just how crucial this process is for the continued success of the university.

Reaction Score
My impression as well. But I also think that she put the breaks on Manuel regarding the ACC. Instead of turning him loose, she wanted to run the show.

Reaction Score
I'm of the opinion that Manuel is gone pretty soon

He may actually welcome getting fired. That would allow him to get back on as an assistant AD with a program that isn't DOA. The faster Warde gets to cut slingload on his UConn experience, the sooner he gets to hit re-start on his career. TOo bad the UConn athletic department doesn't have that option.

Reaction Score
Can't wait for the next Herbst email blast.

UConn is full of winners!!!!! We are all winners!!!!! Weeeeeeee!!!!!

Reaction Score
Does anyone really know? Our beat reporters aren't saying anything the BY hasn't thrown out regarding conference realignment. Herbst isn't well loved within the University as the changes she has made have negatively affected MANY jobs within the school. It is just as likely that this source is as sour on SH as my only connection to the University is.

Reaction Score
Susan Herbst has been great for academic progress at UConn. In the end, universities are about education, and in that regard, she's done a tremendous job.

Having said that, I've heard from someone who has consistent interactions with Herbst that she just doesn't quite understand the monumental impact of conference realignment. Her attitude has apparently been "the Big East has been a good home for us, we'll continue to do well here." I really hope that she understands it more than she's letting on, but my connection seems pretty confident that she's far more concerned with academics than athletics (as she probably should be). If this is accurate, I blame those around her, especially Warde Manuel, for not making it abundantly clear to her just how crucial this process is for the continued success of the university.
I've heard the same thing. I posted after the Louisville debacle that I didn't think she got it, and probably doesn't much care what conference we're in, or at least doesn't care that much. In fact I heard one person say his impression is that if she had her way UConn would play Ivy League style athletics. Now I took that as a comment from someone who was frustrated and exaggerated to make a point, bu tI think the basic point, that she doesn't get the importance of this, is totally accurate.

Reaction Score
Re. Warde..the scuttlebutt I'm hearing from people on campus is that while he is a big man with gravitas (Susan's words not mine), the emperor may have no clothes and appears to be a bit paralyzed by all of this.

Reaction Score
Well, she hired Manuel. Instead of hiring a rock star, she should have hired a cut throat mercenary. Particularly one with solid connections where it mattered, either to conferences or media. She went with a guy from Buffalo.

Until the movement stops, we won't know if she did good or not.

Reaction Score

Presidents are concerned with $$$.
UConn loses $$$ on sports.
Therefore, Herbst is well aware of the $$$ in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I don't know. For someone who doesn't care about athletics, she traveled to Germany and the
Virgin Islands. She was dressed like a SuperFan at Ramstein.

Maybe she doesn't get how the off the field game is played. Most Presidents probably don't, but that's why they have ADs who do...

Reaction Score
Presidents are concerned with $$$.
UConn loses $$$ on sports.
Therefore, Herbst is well aware of the $$$ in the ACC.

From what I've gathered, she did understand that the ACC would be a better home than the Big East, but ultimately undervalued the difference. Apparently she was under the impression that, though the ACC would lead to greater overall revenues, the next Big East deal would be lucrative to the university as we are a "leader of the Big East".

I've also heard the same about Herbst preferring an "Ivy League" style. In fact, apparently the reason that Ollie hasn't received an extension yet is because they're waiting to receive the players' grades to ensure that "something like the APR fiasco never happens again."

As a college president, it's great that she has such a passion for improving academics, but it seems as though she's seriously undervaluing the importance of athletics.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
All anyone has to do is go somewhere and they will find someone who fits their agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom