Indiana/Big Ten Counting UCONN as P5 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Indiana/Big Ten Counting UCONN as P5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We'd all be a lot wiser if we listened to Conspiracy Kitty. She's a light through a dark forest.
She's pretty enlightened... for a cat.

Reaction Score
The B1G logo becomes B16 so seamlessly
This reminds me of when I was a kid.
We would look a cloud formations and by use of our imaginations ,those clouds would look like any image we wanted it to.

Reaction Score
Stumbled upon a post from our old pal "BuffaloLion" (or someone impersonating him) on the Virginia Tech Sideline CR board. He had this to say about this post's subject:

This has FOX & 2017 TV contract written all over it.
FOX wants the B1G to load up on as many BYU, Notre Dame, and Academy games as they can so as to be able to include them in both their new Tier One TV schedule and BTN TV schedule. All 5 teams have National, more so than regional, appeal.
And FOX and Delany are firing a shot across the bow of ESPN, Swofford, and the ACC and telling them if you want to add Notre Dame as your 15th team and start up a competing ACC Network, feel free. But you will have to find team 16 from somewhere other than Connecticut or Ohio.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Stumbled upon a post from our old pal "BuffaloLion" (or someone impersonating him) on the Virginia Tech Sideline CR board. He had this to say about this post's subject:

This has FOX & 2017 TV contract written all over it.
FOX wants the B1G to load up on as many BYU, Notre Dame, and Academy games as they can so as to be able to include them in both their new Tier One TV schedule and BTN TV schedule. All 5 teams have National, more so than regional, appeal.
And FOX and Delany are firing a shot across the bow of ESPN, Swofford, and the ACC and telling them if you want to add Notre Dame as your 15th team and start up a competing ACC Network, feel free. But you will have to find team 16 from somewhere other than Connecticut or Ohio.
Man I'd love to be in a bidding war between those two leagues that accelerated our P5 (re)admittance .

Reaction Score
Can't tell if that's a negative statement.
I think he's saying that Cincy and UConn are next in line for the B1G but Cincy doesn't make any sense. If anyone has a membership there feel free to ask him what he meant.

Reaction Score
I think he's saying that Cincy and UConn are next in line for the B1G but Cincy doesn't make any sense. If anyone has a membership there feel free to ask him what he meant.

The way I read it is, Cincy can't help you. We own Ohio. Now CT is interesting.

Reaction Score
Why in the world would the Big 10, already dominating the entire state of Ohio, add Cincinnati - a marginal academic school with good, but not great, athletic programs that have good, but not great, followings? Cincinnati to the Big 12 makes a heck of a lot more sense for everyone involved.

Reaction Score
I know the theory and general concensus is that Cincy doesn't make sense for the B1G. But then again Ohio is the 5th largest recruiting state with only 1 P5 member. I mean, if Indiana, Washington, Arizona, Kansas, can have two schools, certainly Ohio should have two. Not looking to start a debate here, I personally just would not be surprised if Cincy being a worthy school got an invite to the B1G. It would be a shocker for CR for sure. Plus it is a member of NSA Cyber Operations Centers of Academic Excellence. $1.2 billion endowment.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's always been pro-UConn to the B1G, right? Does he claim to have his own Big Ten Man or is he just a fan giving his own personal beliefs..

Reaction Score
I know the theory and general concensus is that Cincy doesn't make sense for the B1G. But then again Ohio is the 5th largest recruiting state with only 1 P5 member. I mean, if Indiana, Washington, and Arizona can have two schools, certainly Ohio should have two. Not looking to start a debate here, I personally just would not be surprised if Cincy being a worthy school got an invite to the B1G. It would be a shocker for CR for sure. Plus it is a member of NSA Cyber Operations Centers of Academic Excellence. $1.2 billion endowment.
One P5 member that nearly everyone in the entire state already follows.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score

I sent the following reply on that site.

Is this your take on the situation or do you know more than you're sharing? You made a B1G leap from which schools count as P5 games to Delany firing a shot across people's bows. Why would the B1G care about Ohio since they already have OSU. Given Delany's search for TV sets/cable boxes, it's unlikely he'd double down in that state by taking Cincy.

Reaction Score
What I don't get is that if the B1G has plans for UConn, why is there a need for a "shot across the bow" to the ACC and ESPN? I don't believe that the B1G has plans for Cincinnati. And how is Fox threatening ESPN?

Reaction Score
He's always been pro-UConn to the B1G, right? Does he claim to have his own Big Ten Man or is he just a fan giving his own personal beliefs..
Here is one of his prior posts (not on Techsideline):

March 8, 2013

Posted: Today 8:54 AM

Re: 10 Best Programs Not in the Big 5

I'll rank them from a Big Ten perspective since I'm a Big Ten guy. Other Conferences may have other priorities.

1.) Connecticut
2.) Connecticut
3.) Connecticut
4.) Connecticut
5.) Connecticut
6.) Connecticut
7.) Connecticut
8.) Connecticut
9.) Connecticut
10.) Connecticut

UConn would end up being a gold mine in the Big Ten. That may suprise some people, but the recently done study Delany did was EXTREMELY positive looking 25 to 50 years out. It's amazing how well they, in combination with Maryland, Rutgers, and Virginia, would wrap around the New York City to Richmond corridor, and for the first time, cohesively mix those areas in a meaningful all sports rivalry in a Major BCS All Sports Conference that never existed before (The Big East never brought Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, and Nebraska to town on a regular basis).

What that would mean for basketball recruiting in that corridor to the Big Ten, with that combination of 4 schools, would be off the charts. A LOT of those kids that used to go to Big East schools and ACC schools would now be going to the Big Ten. The Big Ten would become the sole BCS presence in that corridor.

Forget UConn's out of sight basketball numbers in New York City. Because of their relatively easy access from the rest of New England, and the fact that they DO IN FACT have a following in the Boston Metro, in the Big Ten, as opposed to the Big East, they very well could make all of New England a SOLID Big Ten region. Not just the state of Connecticut.

Of course, BIGGGG stumbling block.........AAU. But the Big Ten is VERY happy with the progress, effort, and committment by not JUST the University, but the State Government and Governor himself. The State of Connecticut has shown outstanding support towards the University of Connecticut in relation to their research efforts. The State of Connecticut could be a big asset to the CIC looking down the road as it relates to funding for joint research projects.

And as an aside to my good friend Gopher, yes, they would get all of us some pretty darn good Hockey players out of New England. They do have Division One Hockey

BuffaloLion

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I know the theory and general concensus is that Cincy doesn't make sense for the B1G. But then again Ohio is the 5th largest recruiting state with only 1 P5 member. I mean, if Indiana, Washington, Arizona, Kansas, can have two schools, certainly Ohio should have two. Not looking to start a debate here, I personally just would not be surprised if Cincy being a worthy school got an invite to the B1G. It would be a shocker for CR for sure. Plus it is a member of NSA Cyber Operations Centers of Academic Excellence. $1.2 billion endowment.

There is just no chance for Cincy there.

It's not their fault, but Ohio is already inside the footprint and adding a second school in Ohio doesn't do anything for them.

It's like the SEC and Florida State.

Florida State makes sense in terms of football, profile and a complete lack of moral compass....but the SEC already has the state adding a second program doesn't add to the pile of money.

Reaction Score
There is just no chance for Cincy there.

It's not their fault, but Ohio is already inside the footprint and adding a second school in Ohio doesn't do anything for them.

It's like the SEC and Florida State.

Florida State makes sense in terms of football, profile and a complete lack of moral compass....but the SEC already has the state adding a second program doesn't add to the pile of money.
Of course.
If there was a redo, I would be interested to see which grandfathered schools would not make the cut. And which would win out, geography or markets? If it started by choosing sides, would each conference simply start by first picking Texas, Florida, and California? New York, Chicago, LA? If pure profit is the motive, it seems the P5 would need to first downsize, then go after the next best available. 4 North Carolina programs in the same conference makes absolutely no sense, nor does only one P5 program in the entire state of Ohio.
Just rambling on. So while the entire system is imperfect, so too must be the remaining decisions/choices.
I don't know about the SEC analogy though. The SEC would be better off with Florida State than without it.
Also, the B1G may win not so much by adding Cincy but keeping Cincy out of the ACC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Florida State appealed to the SEC just before the ACC signed it grant of rights and was brushed off. They're inside the footprint - they do not add a single cable box.

The Big Ten doesn't care where the ACC tries to go - why would it matter the Big Ten where Cincy goes? They already own every television set in Ohio.

Reaction Score
Not only is Cincinnati not next in line for the Big Ten, they're not nor will they ever be in a line for the Big Ten. Not anywhere in line.

There is zero percent chance of Cincinnati being taken. Not if they were the last realignment candidate on earth. It's nothing against Cincinnati, but they are not a match of any kind for what the Big Ten is looking for.

Reaction Score
It's amazing how well they, in combination with Maryland, Rutgers, and Virginia, would wrap around the New York City to Richmond corridor, and for the first time, cohesively mix those areas in a meaningful all sports rivalry in a Major BCS All Sports Conference that never existed before (The Big East never brought Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, and Nebraska to town on a regular basis).

BuffaloLion
He forgot the Ivy League. That's a void UConn fills.

Reaction Score
I understand the cable box goal but there are many more variables at play. The SEC is very close to the B1G footprint. The ACC moved even closer with Louisville. (sorry, forgot about Pitt too. that happens). The ACC adding Cincy puts the ACC IN the B1G footprint. I think having the likes of Florida State and Clemson coming into Ohio to play ACC games would be of concern to the B1G, and yeah, that is in addition to ND already hosting ACC teams. Even if it is less important, the actual games and the fans still play some role in addition to cable boxes. I mean, when OSU is off visiting Rutgers or Indiana, Cincy could be hosting either Florida State or Nebraska. I know Ohio is all about OSU but I am sure Cincy has more fans than most of the other G5 options. You know, synergy, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, that kind of thing.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
I interpreted him to mean:
1. The B1G TV negotiations are heading towards a stronger Fox-B1G alliance with ESPN focusing on the SEC and ACC and not prepared to spend big on the B1G.
2. As a result, the B1G has a growing incentive to help Fox in its competition with ESPN (and BTN vs SECN/ACCN).
3. Capturing UConn for the B1G/BTN and getting Cincy into the B12 (50% Fox owned) keeps ACC out of Ohio and Connecticut, and leaves them without a good #16 to pair with ND should ND become willing to join a conference. ACC would have to raid the B12, triple down in Florida, or take a weak team like Temple or Navy. By counting Navy as a P5 opponent and giving it B1G games, even Navy may be induced to stay out of the ACC.
4. If ACC can't grow its footprint with state flagships in northeast or Ohio, an ACCN would be a weak competitor to the BTN, especially in B1G footprint states.
5. If an ACCN can't form or can't generate money, there is little incentive for ND to join the ACC.

Reaction Score
Not only is Cincinnati not next in line for the Big Ten, they're not nor will they ever be in a line for the Big Ten. Not anywhere in line.

What kyleslamb said.

2 teams in Indiana, Illinois, Washington and Oregon and 4 in North Carolina all happened when people thought college sports were about sports. Now that they know college sports are really about eyeballs none of those things would happen. If given the chance, with no backlash to deal with, the B1G would trade Purdue and Northwestern for Missouri and Kansas or better yet Connecticut and Virginia. Michigan/Michigan State and Indiana/Notre Dame would be the only same state schools given a pass by the B1G today.

Reaction Score
Having been based out of here for almost 8 years now, i don't believe the Cincy fan base would want them in the big10 either,regardless. In southern ohio there is a lot of osu hate, and in general the big10 football is seen as boring, run based and dominated by basically one or two teams. I think since i've been here they have had purdue and illinois play here and beat them both at home. Osu has it's fans in the south which are primarily graduates who came down here to work. That said, with the fragmentation that is becoming broadcast network tv, the days are numbered that any conference leader will sway providers. It's headed to a game by game choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom