Independent Scheduling | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Independent Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The BC thing has lost its vigor. Time ruins the rivalries. I’d love to have a competitive series with
them that had some drama and hatred but honestly, it’s over. They have nothing to gain from playing us beyond an easy drive and we just seem like we are getting over it as a fan base. There has been nothing to fuel the rivalry in years.

On top of all that, the rivalry isn’t even fueled in part by basketball like it used to be. Other than playing them in hockey, which seems like it has nothing to do with rivalries in other sports, we just don’t see enough of them for playing them to matter. Young UConn fans give no thought to BC. They haven’t grown up watching them. It is becoming a wildly irrelevant matchup to people under 35-40 years old.
I don't know anyone who watches or cares that much about BC football and I live in Massachusetts. In all honesty, college football in the northeast doesn't matter. BC is a hockey school and UConn is a basketball school.

Reaction Score
I don’t know. I could see BC scheduling us probably not 4 straight but 4 games home and home over 6-8 years. Syracuse too for that matter. “Local” games are good for all parties.

Reaction Score
I recall there was some rearranging of the 2016 BC game and UMass was involved. Not sure how it benefited those two, But it ended up being an equal H&H for UConn with both BC and UMass. Why wouldn't this arrangement continue? Unless UConn is no longer classified as a "P5" game.

@BC 2016
BC 2017 (Fenway)
BC 2022
@BC 2023
UMass 2018
@UMass 2019
UMass 2020
@UMass 2021

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Each P5 team gets 3 or 4 open slots each year. They fill them with cupcakes, teams that boost ticket sales, teams that will play cheap and games that help their strength of schedule.

Guess which ones we are and why no P5 team will enter into a yearly scheduling agreement with us. The best you can hope for I think are complementary 4-5 year deals with BC and Rutgers. Both teams need easy wins that are financially astute with teams willing to play in the north. If it means ACC teams don't have to travel to Boston in Nov, the ACC would happily keep that week blank for BC's league schedule. The Big Ten would be harder but RU could probably make it happen if they wanted.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Each P5 team gets 3 or 4 open slots each year. They fill them with cupcakes, teams that boost ticket sales, teams that will play cheap and games that help their strength of schedule.

Guess which ones we are and why no P5 team will enter into a yearly scheduling agreement with us. The best you can hope for I think are complementary 4-5 year deals with BC and Rutgers. Both teams need easy wins that are financially astute with teams willing to play in the north. If it means ACC teams don't have to travel to Boston in Nov, the ACC would happily keep that week blank for BC's league schedule. The Big Ten would be harder but RU could probably make it happen if they wanted.

These games are booked years in advance though. While I don't envision us being as good as the late 00s teams, I think we can hopefully be competitive with most G5 and bottom third P5.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Guess we aren’t playing army next year...

Reaction Score
This may be a stupid question but why wouldn't some of the AAC teams we have scheduled for next year
want to play the already scheduled game rather than go searching for a replacement?

Other than spite.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This may be a stupid question but why wouldn't some of the AAC teams we have scheduled for next year
want to play the already scheduled game rather than go searching for a replacement?

Other than spite.
I think it's because now it'd be considered an OOC game and they would need an In-conference opponent to have any shot at being granted the NCAA waiver allowing them to play a conference championship game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Other than spite.
I think the short answer is that they filled their 2020 schedule by simply adding another cross over game (east vs west) to their intra conference schedule.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
And that was to cover for games that Indiana and Illinois already had scheduled.

Have any B1G schools scheduled UConn since them?
They will. Circle back in a few months.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I thought the rationale was not based on results but on what teams were spending on their FB programs.

And our new locker room and weight room should maintain our status for another 5 years. :D

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Mea culpa! I was wrong.

Only partially. That was only an exemption from the B1G. It will be interesting to see what the ACC does but we already have future games with BC, Duke, and NC State.

Rarely play SEC or Big12 so not sure it's as big a deal for that.

Reaction Score
And our new locker room and weight room should maintain our status for another 5 years. :D
I didn't even think of that, but at the time i recall comments about FBS schools not investing in facilities and the such.

Reaction Score
Only partially. That was only an exemption from the B1G. It will be interesting to see what the ACC does but we already have future games with BC, Duke, and NC State.

Rarely play SEC or Big12 so not sure it's as big a deal for that.

The ACC only has had a mandate for one OOC game to be a P5 opponent. That left a bunch of OOC open for G5.

The last ACC vote was 8-6 to stay at eight conference games...a simple majority was needed. With that vote, it could go to nine conference games in the future with a swing of three votes.

However...this season starts a new era...

"A new scheduling format is required by 2019 because the ACC Network will be launching that year. ESPN's new deal with the ACC requires the ACC to either expand the league schedule to nine games and play at least one nonconference Power 5 opponent or remain at eight ACC games and play at least two nonconference Power 5 opponents."

Looks like two P5 OOC games in OOC will be the ACC future. I think ESPN was forgiving of seasons already scheduled...but it seems that a ten P5 schedule is what they want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul