Independent Scheduling | Page 31 | The Boneyard

Independent Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Yes, and Shreveport rightfully should be pretty low on a desirable destination list. Same same for Monroe, Ruston, and even Lafayette and Baton Rouge. At least Lafayette has some great music and interesting culture, and Red Baton has 6 SEC gridiron Saturdays.
It's a rough drive from Lafayette back to Baton Rouge after a concert, late at night.

Reaction Score
Temple....2021 one spot open

For both schools, this and future games likely happen due to proximity, travel cost containment, potential ticket sales, etc. Ideally, UCF (in addition to scheduled game), USF, Navy in years Army is not scheduled, and potentially ECU also occur.

Beggars may have less influence in initial scheduling years, but prime recruiting turf, relative proximity, and convenience for parents, friends, alumni, and fans alike make good sense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

>>In a move that improves the long-term viability of their status as an independent football program, UMass is expected to announce bowl tie-ins for the next six seasons.<<

>>“We’re down the path with some relationships with some bowls that we’re going to be announcing in the next 30-45 days that we feel good about,” Bamford said. “We’re going to have a relationship that’s going to cover us through 2025. That will cover us so if we’re bowl eligible we feel very good about being placed in a bowl if we get to 6-6.<<

>>Any agreement is likely to be a secondary bowl affiliation for UMass. That means if that bowl is slated to take the sixth-place team from Conference A and the fifth-place team from Conference B, and Conference A only has five bowl-eligible teams (a record of .500), UMass would move into that spot, as long as the Minutemen are eligible themselves.

Bamford said ESPN was involved.<<

Reaction Score

>>In a move that improves the long-term viability of their status as an independent football program, UMass is expected to announce bowl tie-ins for the next six seasons.<<

>>“We’re down the path with some relationships with some bowls that we’re going to be announcing in the next 30-45 days that we feel good about,” Bamford said. “We’re going to have a relationship that’s going to cover us through 2025. That will cover us so if we’re bowl eligible we feel very good about being placed in a bowl if we get to 6-6.<<

>>Any agreement is likely to be a secondary bowl affiliation for UMass. That means if that bowl is slated to take the sixth-place team from Conference A and the fifth-place team from Conference B, and Conference A only has five bowl-eligible teams (a record of .500), UMass would move into that spot, as long as the Minutemen are eligible themselves.

Benedict just played the AAC

Reaction Score
Benedict just played the AAC
Well, it’s a good move by the umess AD.

As UConn scheduling and game day improvements occur, ideally similar or better bowl affiliations are orchestrated. (flak jacket on before incoming Land of Steady Habits fire)

Reaction Score

Will not be needed. UMass avgs 2 wins a season since moving to FBS. Whereas UConn has a much better chance of bowling in the near future than UMass.

Reaction Score
Been waiting for this to drop

Dates may need to be shuffled around as UNC-ODU was scheduled for Sept 26 and UConn-Indiana is scheduled for that date. May end up being an Oct 3 game as UConn has an open week. Depends on how UNC's ACC schedule comes together. No byes in the early season is part of the independent scheduling game.

Illinois, UVA, Indiana, Ole Miss, UNC. Five P-5 games without even tapping into the more regional teams (BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt). Pretty impressive

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There are 5 "winnable" games next year, not that we'd win that many this year. Back to the old formula of win your home games has to be front of mind next year. If you steal one on the road, all the better.

We got the minimum number this season. A few lucky bounces and we'd be at 4 this season and everyone would feel a lot better.

Reaction Score
Clean break from the AAC schools next year. Too bad we couldn't get a Florida trip into the mix but all-in-all, pretty good considering short notice.

Reaction Score
Considering 2020 was the gap year, not bad at all. Yes, most fans would flip the home/away games in a heart beat, but dare I say 4-5 wins is reasonable?
Sorry it's a pretty bad schedule. 3 FCS teams, and 2 borderline / recent FCS teams (UMass and Liberty).

I don't care it's a transition year, bridge year, etc. I don't care if UConn needs a softer schedule. It's awful and a result of a bad athletic department. I will tune out for a few weeks because I don't even want to read the replies.

Reaction Score
Sorry it's a pretty bad schedule. 3 FCS teams, and 2 borderline / recent FCS teams (UMass and Liberty).

I don't care it's a transition year, bridge year, etc. I don't care if UConn needs a softer schedule. It's awful and a result of a bad athletic department. I will tune out for a few weeks because I don't even want to read the replies.
What three FCS teams are we playing next year? I only count one.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

MTSU and ODU are both Conference USA, padawan. Maine is the only FCS team.

Reaction Score
I am being an *ss that all 5 of those teams are absolute garbage and technically FBS, but huge steps down from Cincinnati, SMU, Houston, Navy, etc. The UConn schedule is littered with names that SEC schools schedule as their November off week.

Reaction Score
I am being an *ss that all 5 of those teams are absolute garbage and technically FBS, but huge steps down from Cincinnati, SMU, Houston, Navy, etc. The UConn schedule is littered with names that SEC schools schedule as their November off week.
So are you saying we should prefer to lose to average schools instead of (hopefully) beating mediocre and bad schools?

Reaction Score
Cincinnati, SMU, Memphis, and Navy are not average. Currently 3 top 25 teams, and one in the top 30. The 2020 schedule has 1 top 30 team - #27 UVA, with 5 fringe FBS / FCS schools. The UConn 2020 schedule is not composed of average teams. It is composed of crap teams.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati, SMU, Memphis, and Navy are not average. Currently 3 top 25 teams, and one in the top 30. The 2020 schedule has 1 top 30 team - #27 UVA, with 5 fringe FBS / FCS schools. The UConn 2020 schedule is not composed of average teams. It is composed of crap teams.
Mr. Aresco? Are you not mad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger